Eli Gold Not Expected To Return To Booth In 2024

PaulD

All-American
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
I learned to tell divorcing parents not to trash their ex to their children. S/he is still their mother/father. If you do that, then when they grow up they will gravitate to the ex. Happens just about all the time.
I would also tell them that parents never really get divorced from their spouse. Even when the children are grown, you still will deal with them at life events. Be civil!

It's a shame that things ended this way with Eli Gold. I haven't heard the University say anything derogatory about him and I hope it syays that way. Neither will I.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
That’s the “obnoxious homer” stuff I’m talking about. I’m just not a fan of it. Yeah it’s not as bad as Georgia’s guy or Stan and Rob but it’s annoying to me. Honestly I think it’s just a step above putting Chad Horne and Roll Tide Willie in the booth to call games.
And the homer part is why I love it. You have your opinion but that comparison is a little outrageous IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And the homer part is why I love it. You have your opinion but that comparison is a little outrageous IMO.
Well take into account that a huge part of this board believes any critique that isn’t through Crimson colored glasses whatsoever is seen as an assault on Alabama. The hiring of Stewart us probably more a reflection on the majority of the fan base mostly made of fans who just loves Alabama and doesn’t want to hear or read anything that doesn’t sing the praises of the university. Which is okay and a necessary component to keep Alabama running. I think the worst thing to do is to try to tell each other how to fan if we are all doing it legally and this “casual” vs “Die Hard” debate that guys like Pate and Travis has started is counterproductive. Both groups are needed.

However some of us believe that we shouldn’t stoop to Auburn and Georgia levels and we should be more unique in how we present ourselves. I think Eli went a long way in making us a more unique delivery compared to the obnoxious homers like Scott Howard, Rod Brambletts, and etc who were so hell bent on getting memorable sound bytes that they constantly tripped over themselves when it didn’t work out. I see alot of that in Stewart’s delivery and it’s just not my cup of tea.

But I’ll say this… Stewart probably brings a lot of joy and breath of fresh air to much of the Alabama fanbase, and for that I’m happy.

bamajas

1st Team
Oct 5, 2005
Jasper, AL
But I’ll say this… Stewart probably brings a lot of joy and breath of fresh air to much of the Alabama fanbase, and for that I’m happy.
I think his gratitude and appreciation come through strong, which is hard to find

I don’t remember the ref/officiating stuff being as pronounced in football as in basketball. I’ve assumed that’s a difference in the sport

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don’t remember the ref/officiating stuff being as pronounced in football as in basketball. I’ve assumed that’s a difference in the sport
The several basketball games Ive listened to with him calling it you could almost look at a Game thread on here and swear he posts on it. But then again, the typical college basketball fan believes in two outcomes either We are the best in the world or the refs costed us the game. So he reflects the general fan.

• Haha
Reactions: Con and teamplayer

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
I have chewed on this for a while to avoid a knee jerk reaction…. My understanding, based on what is being reported, is that Eli wanted one more year. A swan song, if you will. I also gather that his current contract was ending in June. If these things are true, it is a very bad look for the university to not give him that opportunity. I don’t like this decision. I just think you grant the guy that has called almost every big win in the Saban era one more year. None of us know if that one year contract would have been contingent on an entirely different salary expectation by Eli Gold. If that was the case, then shame on him. But, one more year to do home and away, and ride off into the sunset as one of the legends is not a big ask…

I know that growing up and living is this darn basketball state, UK would have never, and I mean never, have handled Cawood Ledford this way. It is just a bad look. I listen to every broadcast on the CTRN, and I will miss him. With that said, Chris Stewart is ready, will do an exceptional job, and is someone I look forward to listening to. It is refreshing to listen to someone that doesn’t care to be a homer, but Eli should have got one last tour, if nothing else, out of appreciation of his body of work.

Reactions: dathbama

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
It’s funny to see both sides of this debate. To some Eli wasn’t passionate enough. To some he was doing an eloquent job and not being a homer. The one undeniable fact of this is: Alabama made Eli Gold. Eli Gold didn’t make Alabama. I don’t care how many nascar races, hockey games, etc he called before he arrived here that’s the truth. There are some, supposedly in the know, that are saying he’s not telling the entire story. IMO, both sides are at fault. I do know one thing: Eli should have ridden off into the sunset but chose to handle it in the way he has. I know who will win that and who will regret the decision he made.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Well take into account that a huge part of this board believes any critique that isn’t through Crimson colored glasses whatsoever is seen as an assault on Alabama. The hiring of Stewart us probably more a reflection on the majority of the fan base mostly made of fans who just loves Alabama and doesn’t want to hear or read anything that doesn’t sing the praises of the university. Which is okay and a necessary component to keep Alabama running. I think the worst thing to do is to try to tell each other how to fan if we are all doing it legally and this “casual” vs “Die Hard” debate that guys like Pate and Travis has started is counterproductive. Both groups are needed.

However some of us believe that we shouldn’t stoop to Auburn and Georgia levels and we should be more unique in how we present ourselves. I think Eli went a long way in making us a more unique delivery compared to the obnoxious homers like Scott Howard, Rod Brambletts, and etc who were so hell bent on getting memorable sound bytes that they constantly tripped over themselves when it didn’t work out. I see alot of that in Stewart’s delivery and it’s just not my cup of tea.

I agree with what you are saying for the most part. I was talking about the comparison to Roll Tide Willie.......

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I'm glad Eli landed another gig as quickly as he did. He truly is one of the best in the business. He wasn't perfect in his play by play, as he often placed the ball wrongly while watching through Crimson glasses. But he made listening to games on the radio fun. For several years, I chose to listen to Eli on the radio, while watching the games on TV. Partly, I didn't like the announcers on CBS. And those on ESPN weren't much better. When I first started this, the audio was about 6 seconds ahead of the video. Over the years, that increased to 12 to 15 seconds. A full play ahead. But I still didn't mind that, as long as I had Eli. I may no longer continue that practice with Chris. He's good, but he's no Eli. And besides, no more CBS or Gary. I'll miss Eli for sure. Everything from his colorful uniform descriptions to his Touchdown ALABAMA. Well done, Sir!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm glad Eli landed another gig as quickly as he did. He truly is one of the best in the business. He wasn't perfect in his play by play, as he often placed the ball wrongly while watching through Crimson glasses. But he made listening to games on the radio fun. For several years, I chose to listen to Eli on the radio, while watching the games on TV. Partly, I didn't like the announcers on CBS. And those on ESPN weren't much better. When I first started this, the audio was about 6 seconds ahead of the video. Over the years, that increased to 12 to 15 seconds. A full play ahead. But I still didn't mind that, as long as I had Eli. I may no longer continue that practice with Chris. He's good, but he's no Eli. And besides, no more CBS or Gary. I'll miss Eli for sure. Everything from his colorful uniform descriptions to his Touchdown ALABAMA. Well done, Sir!
i bet we will end up with gary announcing when we go to whisky next season

Reactions: Ledsteplin

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
The several basketball games Ive listened to with him calling it you could almost look at a Game thread on here and swear he posts on it. But then again, the typical college basketball fan believes in two outcomes either We are the best in the world or the refs costed us the game. So he reflects the general fan.
... or that regardless of how the game is going for us, officiating in football and basketball in the SEC is atrocious and we want a higher level of officiating that is capable of handling the higher level of play in our league. I generally don't think officiating "costs" us games but it definitely affects game flow and frustration levels. If that "cant stand the refs" shoe fits me, guilty as charged.

Reactions: Con

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
... or that regardless of how the game is going for us, officiating in football and basketball in the SEC is atrocious and we want a higher level of officiating that is capable of handling the higher level of play in our league. I generally don't think officiating "costs" us games but it definitely affects game flow and frustration levels. If that "cant stand the refs" shoe fits me, guilty as charged.
My point is that you could read just about every forum from a major college basketball team, and every one of them will have a large contingent that blames every loss on the refs and celebrate every win as though they are the most dominant team to ever play. It’s just part of the game and the fandom of the sport.

Reactions: teamplayer

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I have chewed on this for a while to avoid a knee jerk reaction…. My understanding, based on what is being reported, is that Eli wanted one more year. A swan song, if you will. I also gather that his current contract was ending in June. If these things are true, it is a very bad look for the university to not give him that opportunity. I don’t like this decision. I just think you grant the guy that has called almost every big win in the Saban era one more year. None of us know if that one year contract would have been contingent on an entirely different salary expectation by Eli Gold. If that was the case, then shame on him. But, one more year to do home and away, and ride off into the sunset as one of the legends is not a big ask…

I know that growing up and living is this darn basketball state, UK would have never, and I mean never, have handled Cawood Ledford this way. It is just a bad look. I listen to every broadcast on the CTRN, and I will miss him. With that said, Chris Stewart is ready, will do an exceptional job, and is someone I look forward to listening to. It is refreshing to listen to someone that doesn’t care to be a homer, but Eli should have got one last tour, if nothing else, out of appreciation of his body of work.
Eli stated publicly that he wanted to keep broadcasting for 10 more years so I'm not sure where you saw that he asked for 1 more year as a swan song. His performance had slipped quite a bit and was below the requirements for the job, so it was time for him to go and apparently, he refused to acknowledge that.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Eli stated publicly that he wanted to keep broadcasting for 10 more years so I'm not sure where you saw that he asked for 1 more year as a swan song. His performance had slipped quite a bit and was below the requirements for the job, so it was time for him to go and apparently, he refused to acknowledge that.
I listened to Eli on every game he worked on the radio in 2023, and noticed no slipping of his performance. Where do you get that from?

Reactions: Countrytider2

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
I didn’t see it, I heard it. I am thinking it was mentioned on The Millers Edge, not totally certain, though. It was on one of the shows. But, who knows, could have been gossip. It was presented in a matter of fact manner, though .

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads