Recruiting concern

1BamaNorth

Jan 19, 2024
With the transition to a new coaching staff I realize there will be some impact on recruiting. However, I am starting to have concerns about instate recruiting. Anyone else having those concerns or can anyone put me at ease?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
With the transition to a new coaching staff I realize there will be some impact on recruiting. However, I am starting to have concerns about instate recruiting. Anyone else having those concerns or can anyone put me at ease?
It’s not that important anymore. Grab the best kids from wherever they are. Soon you won’t have them for more than one year at a time anyway

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It’s not that important anymore. Grab the best kids from wherever they are. Soon you won’t have them for more than one year at a time anyway
I agree if you are playing for championships. It is still very important during more lean times.

Reactions: jjv0004

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
Maybe the out-of-state kids are not demanding as much NIL money as the in-state kids. If you believe that I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona, I will sell it to you. Lol

CrimsonTitles

All-SEC
Mar 30, 2015
I'm not concerned. DeBoer has recruited well in the state. The first few commitments were from Alabama. You get the ones you want from the state, and go out for the rest

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We will always do good in-state and it won't change under DeBoer. Auburn will be stronger with Freeze and their NIL. We are going to turn up the heat on the Parker 5* CB who is currently committed to OSU and hopefully flip him. I expect we get Zion Grady to re-commit also. Like some have said we will go after the best players regardless of the state that fits what the staff is looking for to fit their system.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Recruiting isn't even fun to watch or research any more. Transfer Portal and NIL has ruined this and the NFL draft for me. Mostly because of what I highlighted above, but the kids that are making hundred of thousands or more while playing college ball and then getting drafted for millions more just really doesn't have that much appeal to me when I'm living paycheck to paycheck every week.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
We will always do good in-state and it won't change under DeBoer. Auburn will be stronger with Freeze and their NIL. We are going to turn up the heat on the Parker 5* CB who is currently committed to OSU and hopefully flip him. I expect we get Zion Grady to re-commit also. Like some have said we will go after the best players regardless of the state that fits what the staff is looking for to fit their system.
Auburn isn't a national brand like Bama. Bama's success and dominance under Saban the last 15 years have made the Crimson Tide a household name. Our brand is still popular and relevant among kids nationwide. Freeze can sell to the in-state kids, who weren't highly recruited by Bama, " it's us against Bama and the world" bs.
Lastly, Freeze and the barn know full well about perception. By loading up the majority of the Top 10 kids in the state signals to fans from both sides that auburn is the preferred destination for Alabama kids thus gaining more future fans for their program.

Reactions: TiderJack

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Winning is key for recruiting and adding fans. Auburn will sign alot of Alabama kids, but until they start beating Bama with them the Tide will keep adding more young fans. Most son pull for whoever their dad pulled for... can't stop that. But winning the way we traditionally have will always give us more fans than the Plainsmen. Auburn is almost two decades behind at the moment on adding the majority of fans.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Go for the best players, regardless of location. Maybe you give a local guy the benefit of the doubt if you have some good intel on him, but that can get you in trouble. For example, we signed 7 or the top 10 instate players in 2020, but Roydell and Malachi are the only truly productive players of that group. 5 transferred. QRob still has a chance to prove himself. And instate pride and loyalty is overrated. Those guys transfer out just like the rest of them. Now that money is involved and transferring is easy, it means even less.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Go for the best players, regardless of location. Maybe you give a local guy the benefit of the doubt if you have some good intel on him, but that can get you in trouble. For example, we signed 7 or the top 10 instate players in 2020, but Roydell and Malachi are the only truly productive players of that group. 5 transferred. QRob still has a chance to prove himself. And instate pride and loyalty is overrated. Those guys transfer out just like the rest of them. Now that money is involved and transferring is easy, it means even less.
I thought we were already doing that...😎

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The in state recruiting up and bites Alabama during the Iron Bowl, if it ever does. Auburn coaches have been very effective at playing the disrespect card with the in state guys on their team. Combine that with the out of state guys who don’t quite get how intense the rivalry is, and sometimes the barn gets a win or two out of it.

I think if you’re going to be concerned it would be over the fact that our really good commits are all 6’ ish, 205ish. Games are won in the trenches, and if this team is going to get back to the top they will need to snag some large, disruptive, mean young men to do that.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
A very good post. I have wanted in the past to get the highest rated players regardless of positions to assure a number one class, which really isn't smart. How many 5 star edge players do you need. Now I'm happy with a well rounded class even if it's not the number one class. A number one class loaded up on a couple of positions probably isn't going to be number in the end due to attrition. Alot can be said for how player fit in your program.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads