It keeps getting worse: Big 12 in discussions w/Allstate on a naming rights deal to change league's name

RdunawayTX

3rd Team
Sep 24, 2011
It's just fascinating watching the rapid destruction at this point. There's little eft of what I actually loved about CFB anymore, so watching this train crash is the next best thing.

But as I've stated may times recently I'm not sure how much CFB I'll actually watch this fall. I wouldn't be surprised if I found myself out camping, working on my old truck, etc. instead of watching TV all day.
Mrs. Dunaway and I, for a long time, got DirecTV, YouTube TV, etc. Whatever would get us the games during the season. This will be the first where we don't bother. We're repulsed by what this game has become. And, perhaps worst of all, we just don't care anymore.

I'll always root for the Tide. But I don't see us going out of our way to watch the games anymore.

Maybe down the road, when the train has crashed and the wreckage cleaned up, we'll be back.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
This is just gross. Screw it. Burn it all down. The NCAA has nuked itself. This is no longer the sport that I loved. I’d have done anything to play for Alabama. Now it’s just XFL run by schools. All imploded within 2yrs. I never thought I would witness college football die. 😔

I hope that washed up Nebraska QB knows that he destroyed college football, forever, and stays broke while knowing it.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This is just gross. Screw it. Burn it all down. The NCAA has nuked itself. This is no longer the sport that I loved. I’d have done anything to play for Alabama. Now it’s just XFL run by schools. All imploded within 2yrs. I never thought I would witness college football die. 😔

I hope that washed up Nebraska QB knows that he destroyed college football, forever, and stays broke while knowing it.
There are so many to blame. Many believe it was the first SECCG that was the Archduke Ferdinand moment

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I was thinking over the weekend about the non-stop changes in college football and a rather unpleasant idea came to mind.

IF the model for college football is moving more towards a minor-league for the NFL, it's quite possible over time that the major powers in football will align themselves directly with NFL teams.

IF that happens, we will likely see the number of teams at the top-tier dwindle to the number of teams in the NFL, with the potential that the remaining teams get slotted in lower divisions sort of like how minor-league baseball works.

Currently that would mean 32 teams at the top level. NFL teams are all in major cities (save for basically just Green Bay), so their affiliations would likely be the same markets, which would mean that even the most storied programs could seem themselves squeezed out of the top-tier.

Schools like Alabama could potentially find themselves relegated to a second-tier division simply because of demographics. For the same reason that Alabama doesn't have any major league sports teams, a school like Alabama could find itself squeezed out of the top-tier of college football.

For sure, we've been the cream of the crop in college football for time immemorial, but with the changing landscape and the incredible amounts of money being injected into the sport at the college level, we could see our beloved Crimson Tide demoted to an also-ran league.

At a point not so long ago, this would be unthinkable. But today, at least to me, it seems like a possibility, even if only a slight one.

Reactions: dathbama

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Mrs. Dunaway and I, for a long time, got DirecTV, YouTube TV, etc. Whatever would get us the games during the season. This will be the first where we don't bother. We're repulsed by what this game has become. And, perhaps worst of all, we just don't care anymore.

I'll always root for the Tide. But I don't see us going out of our way to watch the games anymore.

Maybe down the road, when the train has crashed and the wreckage cleaned up, we'll be back.
We used to live for the game and now feel much the same way. It is even worse dealing with ESPN. We never know when they get to the game. The 1st Qtr. may be over before the game is on the it may start on ESPN News. Google TV doesn't even have that! This year I am sure there will games on ESPN plus requiring a separate subscription!

Let the young ESPN crowd pay to deal with all of this. They are the same rowdy bunch chanting USA USA at the US Open for God's sake! ESPN there are no words to describe it. Not on here any way!

Reactions: The Ols

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
We used to live for the game and now feel much the same way. It is even worse dealing with ESPN. We never know when they get to the game. The 1st Qtr. may be over before the game is on the it may start on ESPN News. Google TV doesn't even have that! This year I am sure there will games on ESPN plus requiring a separate subscription!

Let the young ESPN crowd pay to deal with all of this. They are the same rowdy bunch chanting USA USA at the US Open for God's sake! ESPN there are no words to describe it. Not on here any way!
The only one of my kids that is really into sports is my youngest, who is 15, and he rarely even watches a complete game of anything. He might have a game on his phone while he's playing video games, or will sit down and watch a few minutes of a game here and there, but unless it's a championship game in whatever sport it is, he doesn't watch it. He'll watch highlights and know all the big plays that happened, but that's about it.

The way kids consume stuff these days is so different from the way I consume it.

And he hardly ever watches anything on tv.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Before too long the players uniform will look like a Nascar driver and the Mayhem guy will hang glide into the stadium to deliver the game ball.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Who is the Nebraska QB referenced?
I probably misremembered, could have sworn there was a former Nebraska player involved but maybe I was just talking about it with a Nebraska fan back in 2014 😆. Doesn’t really matter. I just hope all the people involved realized that they have nuked the sport for the worse, and I hope they get nothing lasting but misery out of it.

Reactions: DzynKingRTR

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
"Big 10 players get good handouts with All State!"

Get ready for you All State insurance premiums to go up!

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003

As long as there's money to be made, it won't implode. TV money, and misguided super-wealth will keep it going. Even the UFL is basically played in front of a 1/3rd full stadium. Vandy's spring game may have had more fans than the UFL championship game did.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The only one of my kids that is really into sports is my youngest, who is 15, and he rarely even watches a complete game of anything. He might have a game on his phone while he's playing video games, or will sit down and watch a few minutes of a game here and there, but unless it's a championship game in whatever sport it is, he doesn't watch it. He'll watch highlights and know all the big plays that happened, but that's about it.

The way kids consume stuff these days is so different from the way I consume it.

And he hardly ever watches anything on tv.
My son is 26 and really isn’t into sports although he does follow football and baseball. The other day I mentioned Joe Louis and he had no idea who he was.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads