Alabama: 2024 Fall Practice Thread/News/Predictions

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Here's what a really good analysis (from Tuscaloosa news - Goodbread)of the new offensive scheme is based on:

" The Huskies attack defenses with a bevy of screen passes and short throws, but the route concepts often include a vertical pattern, allowing the quarterback to take deep shots here and there. UW averaged 344 passing yards per game, which ranked No. 2 in the nation. The screen package is diverse and oft-called by Grubb; UW threw 73 screen passes on the year, an average of once every eight throws. That's a far heavier reliance on the screen game than what Alabama fans saw from Tommy Rees last year. Grubb also likes to run dual crossing routes across the middle from opposite sides of the field, creating a "rub" with one receiver to free another and strain the defense horizontally. Throw in a good dose of short curl routes against loose coverage, and it's little wonder that opposing pass rushes averaged less than a sack per game against Washington. The offense is designed for the quarterback to get rid of the ball quickly."

If I sum all that up, it's being able to exploit the entire field in the passing game, with a focus on the short and intermediate levels, so that it keeps the DBs honest and eventually opens up better opportunities for the long passing game as well.

So I think that even early on against some of the lesser teams, I'll be looking for our ability to get the ball out quickly to the routes that are open, on schedule and if those aren't there, hitting the screens and checkdowns. If we are not doing that early, our ability to do that against harder competition is very likely to be limited, and will signal potential issues. We really need to see the team execute a ton of 7-9 yard passes with some YAC and just keeping the chains moving consistently and avoiding 3 and outs which were a major problem last season.
Decisive Milroe = potential for championship.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
This post may not age well, but i dont think Milroe will be our starting QB at the end of the season...
But then, it could turn out that Simpson is also an issue, and then Austin Mack takes over as starter. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I mean...anything is always possible. But everything I've seen and heard has Jalen Milroe leading Bama all season long.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
But then, it could turn out that Simpson is also an issue, and then Austin Mack takes over as starter. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I mean...anything is always possible. But everything I've seen and heard has Jalen Milroe leading Bama all season long.
We won't know if anyone has improved or not until the real "bullets" start flying. There will be a lot of dynamics in play on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. Both sides are running new schemes with a lot of new personnel. So before it's all said and done there may be players getting opportunities that we never thought would.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
So I think that even early on against some of the lesser teams, I'll be looking for our ability to get the ball out quickly to the routes that are open, on schedule and if those aren't there, hitting the screens and checkdowns. If we are not doing that early, our ability to do that against harder competition is very likely to be limited, and will signal potential issues. We really need to see the team execute a ton of 7-9 yard passes with some YAC and just keeping the chains moving consistently and avoiding 3 and outs which were a major problem last season.
Thanks, gt. This sort of insight and mileposts that an observant fan can understand and use is why I enjoy reading your posts so much.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Man, I'm excited about those new schemes.
Yeah I think about a quick passing/screen game using backs like Haynes, Jam, Young, and Hill and then sliding Law back there coming out on quick underneath stuff (kinda like 49ers use Deebo Samuel) you just can’t help but get excited. But it’s all dependent on a QB making the right presnap reads and taking what is there.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
My paving crew wears jackets, hoodies and long sleeves every day. In the heat, in direct sunlight, standing on 300 degree asphalt. Next time I’m around them I’ll take a pic . They swear it’s cooler that way.

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
I might be reading too much into some of these practice reports that are coming out, but it sure seems like I'm getting a lot more positive vibes from the players this year than last year. If this team starts out 4-0, the rest of the conference better watch out.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

BennyHoover

Jan 14, 2024
I might be reading too much into some of these practice reports that are coming out, but it sure seems like I'm getting a lot more positive vibes from the players this year than last year. If this team starts out 4-0, the rest of the conference better watch out.
It will be interesting to see if the positive coaching model works in contrast to Saban's tough love and butt chewings.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads