JessN: Wisconsin wrap-up: DeBoer's first road win comes in relatively convincing fashion

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Wisconsin wrap-up: DeBoer’s first road win comes in relatively convincing fashion\
by Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief

For that brand of football fan who was hoping for some kind of meltdown in Tuscaloosa as a result of the transition from Nick Saban to Kalen DeBoer, Saturday’s game against Wisconsin is not the outcome they were looking for.

Alabama rolled to a 42-10 win over the Badgers with a performance that was consistent, effective and forward-leaning. While the details would have likely been different had Wisconsin QB Tyler Van Dyke not injured a knee while scrambling early in the game, Alabama had too much speed and too much explosiveness for the Badgers to handle.

CONTINUE READING

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Good write up, Jess.

I gotta admit I felt this part, "Fans wanting a precision passing game will have to wait for the next quarterback. What they have now is a QB who is a threat to generate a score on any snap he takes, and that’s no bad thing."
That touchdown pass to Ryan was precision on the money from the QB.

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
Question about holding by the offensive line. Is it possible that the degree to which holding is called varies with the crew of referees? I have heard it said that holding could be called on every play.
It would be interesting to see an academic type study analyzing the kind and frequency of penalties called by individual referees.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Good write up, Jess.

I gotta admit I felt this part, "Fans wanting a precision passing game will have to wait for the next quarterback. What they have now is a QB who is a threat to generate a score on any snap he takes, and that’s no bad thing."
That’s the line that stood out the most to me too.

I personally think we are playing with fire basing so much of what we’re doing on hitting a homerun.

There will be days where for whatever reason the deep shot isn’t connecting and with nothing else to fall back on that can get you beat vs a good team.

We aren’t helping our defense either by scoring so quickly either or punting so quickly.

Sometimes you need to be able to sustain an actual drive and give them a breather and a chance to make adjustments.

I’d feel better if it at any time looked like we were actually trying to work on running the ball with our RB’s and/or developing some kind of intermediate passing game.

But thus far it seems like we’re just going all in on feast or famine play with QB keepers and Vertical deep shots.

Maybe we get extremely lucky and never get burned by it but that seems unlikely against such a difficult schedule.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

I personally think we are playing with fire basing so much of what we’re doing on hitting a homerun.

There will be days where for whatever reason the deep shot isn’t connecting and with nothing else to fall back on that can get you beat vs a good team.

We aren’t helping our defense either by scoring so quickly either or punting so quickly.

Sometimes you need to be able to sustain an actual drive and give them a breather and a chance to make adjustments.

I’d feel better if it at any time looked like we were actually trying to work on running the ball with our RB’s and/or developing some kind of intermediate passing game.

I can't improve on this gentle criticism. Despite the obvious excitement and exhilaration of the long bomb 25 second scoring drives, I would have loved to see an 8 minute scoring drive like the one Wisconsin did to us.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Question about holding by the offensive line. Is it possible that the degree to which holding is called varies with the crew of referees? I have heard it said that holding could be called on every play.
It would be interesting to see an academic type study analyzing the kind and frequency of penalties called by individual referees.
You may be on to a business there. If the coaches don’t already know, having that info at their fingertips as soon as they get the crew assignment might let them make some last minute tweaks to a game plan.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

But thus far it seems like we’re just going all in on feast or famine play with QB keepers and Vertical deep shots.

Maybe we get extremely lucky and never get burned by it but that seems unlikely against such a difficult schedule.
You may be on to part of the reason we are rotating so many players in and out of the game. It helps spread snaps and keeps guys fresher longer while also creating better quality depth.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks, Jess for another great write-up of your thoughts from the game. It was a great day being able to sit in the stands and watch the Tide roll. I know that bumps in the road may still be coming, but I am enjoying this ride. Go Bama!

Reactions: Countrytider2

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Overall, my greatest concern right now is a lack of offensive identity. Can Alabama run the ball on 3rd and short? Can Alabama sustain long drives? Or is this just a homerun team?

So far Alabama has out-athlethed teams. Can this team play at a high level when faced with similar talent? We will find out in 2 weeks.

Roll Tide

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
We seem to have their number, too. That’s got to be in their heads.
Not sure how many posters on here watch pro wrestling. But the storyline of Roman reigns and Seth Rollins reminds me of bama and Georgia. Reigns has had all this insane success but whenever he goes up against Rollins he usually he ends up on the losing end.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Kind of sums it up for me. I’m sure that there are Tidefans brethren who feel that this is being overly negative. Yes, I do agree that JM is a legitimate threat to score at any time and yes, that’s not a bad thing. I just get the feeling that there’s this chasm in our repertoire that consists of a yet to be shown ability to drive the football, on the ground, primarily with our RBs, bleeding the clock, and giving our D a rest. The other part of the aforementioned chasm is an intermediate passing game. Actually, the lack thereof. Unless/until he proves me wrong ( and I certainly hope he does! ) , I don’t think that’s in the cards. It just appears to me that if someone takes away the 30+ yard throw and finds a way to bottle up Jalen’s runs, we be in deep kimchi.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads