Pate reacts to Bad Officiating (video)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Haven't watched this vid but Officiating has been horrible for YEARS now.

The main problem is that they are NEVER punished or held responsible for any poor performance.

The crew that called the 2022 Alabama at Tennessee game STILL HAVE JOBS.

In case anyone forgot.

The Tennessee Defense tried to KILL Bryce on the field. They hit him WAY LATE MULTIPLE times including TARGETING.... not even the new type of Targeting... But Old School Head Hunting targeting and got away with every bit of it.

They got away with 12 men on the field.... they got away with clapping to make our guys jump..

They got away with holding Will Anderson...they got away will DPI on our WR's and they got away with OPI on their WR's.

They lost track of downs... they threw a WAY LATE flag on an INT for us and took it away...

There's so much stuff that happened in that game where they maliciously screwed us.

THEY STILL HAVE JOBS.

Why???

WHHHHYYYYYY???!!!

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I saw that video this morning and the examples he showed JUST FROM THIS WEEK are some of the most egregiously bad calls I have ever seen. There is no way this happened in a vacuum. I don't now if it's an overreaction from Tua as he suggests. but something is up. I especially don't get the targeting call on the guy who hit the guy in the rear. That basically met zero of the criteria for targeting.

Reactions: thingamajimbeux

bamajas

1st Team
Oct 5, 2005
Jasper, AL
His entire argument is officials are being much more strict since Tua got hurt the other day. I think that’s a bit of a stretch personally. College officials are simply horrible at their jobs, and have been forever.
Is it possible he has some connections who told him there was a push on Friday to be more strict? He said "I guarantee you" at least twice

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm ok with them officiating head to head contacts. it's impossible to always avoid but at least there is a reason and at least it's something you can try to play with. But some of his examples were textbook form tackles with no head contact and no driving into the ground. You can't outlaw tackling. If you do that just outlaw the game and in a generation we will all be soccer hooligans. Not me of course. I can't be retrained, but future generations, they believe anything they are told.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I know one thing.....when I see Jason Autry on TV making a call for whatever game they are doing.....I know that game will turn into a unmitigated disaster at the end if its close.

The Autry crew should all be let go.....they should also be investigated by some outside investigative firm. There is no way they are that incompetent all the time.....they influence the outcome of games way too often.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don’t necessarily agree with Pate that the Tua concussion was the reason for some of the calls this past weekend. Heck, I was watching K-State - Arizona and Kansas - UNLV and there were atrociously bad calls (personal fouls) in those games Thursday night.

Bottom line is there is nothing close to consistency in CFB officiating except it is bad and consistently inconsistent. When you have people on your staff now that “scout” your assigned officiating crews each week, it tells you about all you need to know.

I have said for the past many years that CFB officiating should the same as the NFL. Some of the guys on Saturday couldn‘t keep up with my two year old granddaughter, much less an elite athlete running a 4.5/40.

Reactions: thingamajimbeux

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I know one thing.....when I see Jason Autry on TV making a call for whatever game they are doing.....I know that game will turn into a unmitigated disaster at the end if its close.

The Autry crew should all be let go.....they should also be investigated by some outside investigative firm. There is no way they are that incompetent all the time.....they influence the outcome of games way too often.
Apparently you are not the only one who feels this way.
Demand the SEC Fire Incompetent Referee Jason Autrey

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
The only thing that will really begin to fix this is to make the college refs full time. They'll have to do it similar to the NFL refs.

Its going to have to be centralized with some oversight and actual consequences for horrible results.

It feels like these crews now are just guessing a lot and trying to figure it out on the fly.

Another issue....and it permeates umpiring and refereeing in all sports at all levels....there's always a sense of less working together to make the right call and more trying to go to bat for each other to cover up a missed or bad call.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I saw that video this morning and the examples he showed JUST FROM THIS WEEK are some of the most egregiously bad calls I have ever seen. There is no way this happened in a vacuum. I don't now if it's an overreaction from Tua as he suggests. but something is up. I especially don't get the targeting call on the guy who hit the guy in the rear. That basically met zero of the criteria for targeting.
You have to remember that targeting now also includes anything where the tackler uses the top of the helmet, regardless of where on the offensive player contact is made. With that under the 'targeting rule' that hits fits the bill. IMHO, they need to break that particular offense outside of 'targeting' and enforce it as something else, but I understand why it's a penalty.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think that transparency would be really appreciated.
The SEC should provide access to the officials' review after the game in which every official's decisions would be reviewed and the overall performance graded.
They might could even sell access to that video feed.
I'd pay money to see Autrey's inept crew try to explain themselves on camera after the UT debacle.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That crew is bent.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Haven't watched this vid but Officiating has been horrible for YEARS now.

The main problem is that they are NEVER punished or held responsible for any poor performance.

The crew that called the 2022 Alabama at Tennessee game STILL HAVE JOBS.

In case anyone forgot.

The Tennessee Defense tried to KILL Bryce on the field. They hit him WAY LATE MULTIPLE times including TARGETING.... not even the new type of Targeting... But Old School Head Hunting targeting and got away with every bit of it.

They got away with 12 men on the field.... they got away with clapping to make our guys jump..

They got away with holding Will Anderson...they got away will DPI on our WR's and they got away with OPI on their WR's.

They lost track of downs... they threw a WAY LATE flag on an INT for us and took it away...

There's so much stuff that happened in that game where they maliciously screwed us.

THEY STILL HAVE JOBS.

Why???

WHHHHYYYYYY???!!!
I'm typically not a conspiracy person but the officiating in that game was so egregious that offshore bank accounts should have been checked.

In addition, why not correct the call via replay?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The spring football league has a degree of transparency at least for reviews during the game.
That is refreshing to hear the sausage being made.
Watching officials review their performance after the game would do a lot. If officials had to explain why they decided the way they did, I think the transparency would be refreshing (and entertaining) and then the conference would publish the scores of the teams.
What I find infuriating is when an official obviously blows a call and the conference says, "Nope. No problem here." That in effect means putting the stamp of approval on the mistake.

Reactions: Rocky Mtn Bob

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads