Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread, Bama vs. UGA...

BhamToTexas

All-American
Dec 25, 2020
Yes but the point with RBs in the NFL (and college) isn't that the running game isn't important (though there is some of that) its the success in the running game isn't really about the RB but about play design and OL.

There are a plethora of good RBs in the world and you don't need the best RB to be successful running the ball.
Tell that to the Cowboys.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Not sure I understand the talk here about the run game. Bama has a healthy run game in Jam Miller and Justice Haynes. It was mostly absent in the Georgia game. That was the game plan specific to Georgia. Georgia's game plan was to stop Bama's run, and force Milroe to throw. They thought they could handle that. But Bama doesn't run out of the gate. Not in the middle nor over tackle. Instead, they throw the intermediate pass. And they worked the outside. Georgia was stumped. The run game is still there. And they are good at it. We should see Jam and Justice against the 'dores.

STONECOLDSABAN

Hall of Fame
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Not sure I understand the talk here about the run game. Bama has a healthy run game in Jam Miller and Justice Haynes. It was mostly absent in the Georgia game. That was the game plan specific to Georgia. Georgia's game plan was to stop Bama's run, and force Milroe to throw. They thought they could handle that. But Bama doesn't run out of the gate. Not in the middle nor over tackle. Instead, they throw the intermediate pass. And they worked the outside. Georgia was stumped. The run game is still there. And they are good at it. We should see Jam and Justice against the 'dores.
A analyst I watched kind of said the same thing that you are saying. We ran right at Wisconsin if I remember correctly and I think we used the backs more. I have to go back and watch that game again.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
A analyst I watched kind of said the same thing that you are saying. We ran right at Wisconsin if I remember correctly and I think we used the backs more. I have to go back and watch that game again.
No, we used them about the same. Milroe is eating into their carries on a pretty significant level. Whether that is a good thing or bad thing is in the eyes of the person looking at the stats. At some point I'd like to see what our offense would look like if we incorporated those two back more into the rushing attack. I get it, the easy thing is to hit the "cheat button" and let Milroe carry hoping he'll bust one. But as the season goes on teams will adjust, just like UGA did.

Wisconsin Game
1727812881163.png

Georgia Game
1727812999672.png

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
No, we used them about the same. Milroe is eating into their carries on a pretty significant level. Whether that is a good thing or bad thing is in the eyes of the person looking at the stats. At some point I'd like to see what our offense would look like if we incorporated those two back more into the rushing attack. I get it, the easy thing is to hit the "cheat the button" and let Milroe carry hoping he'll bust one. But as the season goes on teams will adjust, just like UGA did.

Wisconsin Game
View attachment 45988

Georgia Game
View attachment 45989
I wonder if our run blocking is good enough against teams like UGA for the backs to be able to carry the ball more?

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I wonder if our run blocking is good enough against teams like UGA for the backs to be able to carry the ball more?
We were gashing them with the run off the edges at the beginning of the game. It boils down to game-planning, playcalling, the timing of the playcalling, and execution by the players. The narrative we don't have as good of players as UGA is false. At worst, we have as good, but people who attended the game pointed out that Bama's "dudes" were more athletic than UGA's "dudes". This roster is loaded with talent, the problem is a big part of that talent is inexperienced and learning on the go.

Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
We were gashing them with the run off the edges at the beginning of the game. It boils down to game-planning, playcalling, the timing of the playcalling, and execution by the players. The narrative we don't have as good of players as UGA is false. At worst, we have as good, but people who attended the game pointed out that Bama's "dudes" were more athletic than UGA's "dudes". This roster is loaded with talent, the problem is a big part of that talent is inexperienced and learning on the go.
I don't think anyone doubts the athleticism vs. UGA or others. I know Sheridan mentioned something yesterday about the blocking and the balance between Milroe running and the other backs.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I don't think anyone doubts the athleticism vs. UGA or others. I know Sheridan mentioned something yesterday about the blocking and the balance between Milroe running and the other backs.
Yeah, he said the blocking wasn't consistent throughout the game. Vandy would be a great game to get more reps with Haynes/Miller and also get the OL more run blocking reps. I'd also suggest if we get up by more than three td's to start putting Ty Simpson in and letting him run some series. The last thing we need is to get Milroe's ankle rolled up on or some freak injury that normally happens to us in these types of games. I'll never forget Tua and the Miss St game. Geeze, :rolleyes:

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
Coach needs to go check out Bama-LSU 2015. Bama gets the ball up, 30-16 with 9:13 to play and LSU never gets the ball back. Bama takes a knee at the 16 on the last play.
Not sure that would work today, but that is the gold standard for killing clock.
I remember that. That was a thing of beauty. To me that possession was DH's Heisman moment. LSU's defense was one of the best in the country, and they could not stop him.

Reactions: FaninLA

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
Rewatching the game. Dogs got lucky. We should’ve picked Beck off 6-7 times. Ball hit our guys in the chest or they had both hands on it. Dogs also got lucky on muffed punt at end of 1st half.
I honestly thought our O didn’t adjust in the 2nd half. Milroe just cooled down, locking onto receivers. Only criticism I have on O adjustments is that they should’ve drilled into Milroes head at halftime that they were gonna be so keyed onto him that he should’ve given almost every RO off, in the 2nd half, instead of keeping. If a few of those would’ve happened it’s a blow out! RTR! I’m so proud of our guys!!!
Oh an I don’t understand all the love for Starks for the dogs. Jackson, #17, by far their best safety at least in this game.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Rewatching the game. Dogs got lucky. We should’ve picked Beck off 6-7 times. Ball hit our guys in the chest or they had both hands on it. Dogs also got lucky on muffed punt at end of 1st half.
I honestly thought our O didn’t adjust in the 2nd half. Milroe just cooled down, locking onto receivers. Only criticism I have on O adjustments is that they should’ve drilled into Milroes head at halftime that they were gonna be so keyed onto him that he should’ve given almost every RO off instead of keeping. If a few of those would’ve happened it’s a blow out! RTR! I’m so proud of our guys!!!
Oh an I don’t understand all the love for Starks for the dogs. Jackson, #17, by far their best safety at least in this game.
just so i'm clear, are you talking about this starks?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads