Thoughts on players reclassifying into an earlier class

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
#1 football prospect Jahkeem Stewart reclassified into the 2025 class today (from 2026).

As a general rule, I think this is a really bad idea academically, emotionally, athletically, and physically. Monetarily, probably a very good thing for these guys and their families. And there's the rub. Not that they're getting paid, but that they're sacrificing those 4 important areas to get to the Benjamin's sooner. In no other way does this make sense or is it a good decision.

if I were CFB king for a day, there would be no early entry or reclassifications. Why rush to adulthood? why abandon your HS / team? Once you take the money, you're a pro and your life changes. Oh, I know, some guys are emotionally, physically, athletically mature and will be able to handle it. But I don't think it's a good overall decision 99% of the time. JMHO.

Stewart seems like he's going to be physically ready ... but he's not playing this fall because he transferred to a not-so-great public HS from a good private HS that apparently wouldn't let him graduate early and, thus, he became ineligible to play in Louisiana. He will, in effect, be a 2nd semester HS Junior when he early enrolls somewhere to get his NIL $$$.

espn.com said:
"He's been dominating four- and five-star prospects since seventh grade," Clyde Alexander, a coach who represents Stewart, told ESPN. "Some of those kids are in the NFL now, and [Stewart] still had two more years of high school. Every head coach, coordinator and [defensive line coach] has him as the No. 1 player on their board regardless of class."

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Agreed.

12 years of pre-collegiate education is significant overkill for most people, anyway...
Probably so since most guys will transfer colleges 3X over 3 years before skipping their last bowl game and declaring for the draft ... an education isn't going to be important for that anyway!

:D

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They see R. Williams and think they reproduce the same results. The NBA is trash now because of this line of thinking. Just wait.
They are not responsible for their respective sports or leagues. They are just trying to do what is best for themselves and their families, same as you and me.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I understand. Believe me. Go and get it if it’s there. I would too. Looking at the forest though, the trees aren’t going to look so well.
They are not responsible for their respective sports or leagues. They are just trying to do what is best for themselves and their families, same as you and me.
Then college sports isn't the right place for them. Unfortunately, unlike baseball, nothing in-between exists.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Then college sports isn't the right place for them. Unfortunately, unlike baseball, nothing in-between exists.
Sure it is. College sports is a job, just like any other job.

ETA, you seem to want to go back to pre-NIL football, which would end this.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Sure it is. College sports is a job, just like any other job.

ETA, you seem to want to go back to pre-NIL football, which would end this.
No, I think that guys who think they're pros should do pro stuff and guys who want to get better, stronger, smarter should go to college. Baseball has minor leagues. College has been the minor leagues for NFL but now it's professional. I'm fine with everything about guys getting paid. It's the entering and leaving early along with unlimited transfers (and NIL cash to transfer) that I have an issue with. It's the current system, I get it. It won't be the future system because it is unsustainable.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
But they really are, whether they like it or not. The more trashy busted 17 year olds out there who can’t be coached and don’t perform fundamentally the more the college game will suffer. The more it suffers, the less it will make.

These players have a responsibility to themselves and the players who will try their path behind them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But they really are, whether they like it or not. The more trashy busted 17 year olds out there who can’t be coached and don’t perform fundamentally the more the college game will suffer. The more it suffers, the less it will make.

These players have a responsibility to themselves and the players who will try their path behind them.
The sport has to control that. You can't ask 17 year old kids to.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The sport has to control that. You can't ask 17 year old kids to.
The sport isn’t asking the 17 year olds, they are demanding it.

Lawyered up to get paid, lawyered up to transfer, lawyered up to graduate early, etc.

Control of the entire situation is in the hands of the most immature faction involved in this, how is it not reasonable to expect them to control themselves?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The sport isn’t asking the 17 year olds, they are demanding it.

Lawyered up to get paid, lawyered up to transfer, lawyered up to graduate early, etc.

Control of the entire situation is in the hands of the most immature faction involved in this, how is it not reasonable to expect them to control themselves?
How is it reasonable to ask a kid who can fight and die in a war not to make money available to him for playing a sport?

You may not like it, but this is just entertainment for us. This is their livelihood. They have a very short window to make as much money as they can.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
How is it reasonable to ask a kid who can fight and die in a war not to make money available to him for playing a sport?

You may not like it, but this is just entertainment for us. This is their livelihood. They have a very short window to make as much money as they can.
And they have to be personally responsible for that window.

Do you seriously expect the people who have to pay the money and provide the services to work against themselves?

They wanted the control, they got it, and all that comes with it. You have to take the good with the bad. If this were truly NFL lite these guys would be getting cut mid season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And they have to be personally responsible for that window.

Do you seriously expect the people who have to pay the money and provide the services to work against themselves?

They wanted the control, they got it, and all that comes with it. You have to take the good with the bad. If this were truly NFL lite these guys would be getting cut mid season.
To be clear, are you blaming the kids for wanting to play college football earlier? If so, I am not sure how your arguments support that.

Your arguements seem to be saying that the problem is the with the people profiting from college football. If so, I agree.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
To be clear, are you blaming the kids for wanting to play college football earlier? If so, I am not sure how your arguments support that.

Your arguements seem to be saying that the problem is the with the people profiting from college football. If so, I agree.
You said the sport has to control the 17 year olds. I said how can they when the 17 year olds have lawyered up for their independence from control by the sport.

You said you can’t blame the 17 year olds for trying to make as much money as they can. I countered with you can’t expect college football to work against itself by further enabling the kids with all the control.

The kids can’t have all the control and not be held responsible for their actions. Like it or not, these guys are paving the way for future generations

Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
You go to post-secondary to prepare for a life professionally whether it's getting a degree in business, education, etc.... Most athletes stay to get their degree so they can prepare for life after football, if they go pro that's great also. I don't see anything wrong with gettng a football degree if you are talented enough use your talent.

Why can't students be in control of their own education and future? When I went to school I had to work full time and go to school. I was in control of my future. Besides, most 17 year old's are under the direction of their parents behind the scenes.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads