Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread - Bama @ Vandy...

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
All I know is the defense we saw yesterday was NOT a Bama defense, nor has it been in the past 6 quarters. The defense last year took strides forward with Kevin Steele after the Pete Golding debacle. I don’t think I can take a few years of Wommack as DC. The 4-2-5 defense may work at USA and Washington, but it’s not winning defense in the SEC.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Vanderbilt's coaching staff said the strategy was to try to limit Alabama to about 10 offensive possessions and to "shorten" the game. They did a masterful job of it, hugely abetted by a defense that could not stop the running game. They had, what, nearly 100 yards on Utah passes? Sheesh.

My guess is this is what all of our opponents will try till we prove it won't work. Our remaining opponents won't run Vandy's scheme, but they will adopt the strategy and many have better athletes to run the ball on us just like VU did.

Run the ball, stop the run, don't turn the football over. Keep Milroe and Co. on the sidelines. Run the play clock way down on every play. VU did it very well and Alabama did not.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Unfortunately, I don't think the players opinions of themselves are going to change. They're probably practicing new end zone celebrations as I'm typing this.
celebrating after scoring while still trailing is pointless. It is something a selfish person does. Throwing a tantrum and kicking the ball away is something a selfish person does. We have no leaders on this team. It seems like they only care about their brand. Crap like this is why some longtime posters aren't watching anymore. I am only holding on by a very thin thread at this point. I tried to give it one last try but I am at the end of the rope. Probably my last season

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The secondary was an afterthought in this game. They really never had a chance to make an impact.
The two biggest plays that decided the game were due to Malachi Moore watching the quarterback and letting the receiver run right by him. Outside of Robinson, everyone had a dreadful day.

Our Dline is bad, but it’s been bad for years. We have missed on several top Dlinemen who preferred to go to UGA and Texas over Alabama.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The two biggest plays that decided the game were due to Malachi Moore watching the quarterback and letting the receiver run right by him. Outside of Robinson, everyone had a dreadful day.

Our Dline is bad, but it’s been bad for years. We have missed on several top Dlinemen who preferred to go to UGA and Texas over Alabama.
If you say so. IMO, the biggest plays were the little ones. The ones that wore Alabama out.

Reactions: Rocky Mtn Bob

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I was worried about the change to a 4-2-5 defense when Wommack was hired, now I’m seeing why I was so worried.

I’m used to seeing our secondary get torched but it had to take a QB playing with his hair on fire to torch them, now we’re getting gashed on the ground. I think before yesterday we were 46th in Run D, probably worse now, not used to seeing those stats for the rush D for Bama.
It's not really the 4-2 that is the issue. Reality is Saban ran the 4-2 a vast, vast majority of the time going back to the days of Javier Arenas and V Sunseri.

The issue is he gets out of the 4-2 and into a hybrid 3-3 that puts some guys into positions they aren't really built for. It's as bad as gol&ing trying to have Anderson play in the OT/OG gap except we're asking the wolf to play almost heads up the OG, just slightly back off the ball. I'm really optimistic on Russaw, but he's not built to hold up inside against all that traffic that close to the line. I'm also optimistic about our DTs, but they aren't quick enough to hold the edge...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
All I know is the defense we saw yesterday was NOT a Bama defense, nor has it been in the past 6 quarters. The defense last year took strides forward with Kevin Steele after the Pete Golding debacle. I don’t think I can take a few years of Wommack as DC. The 4-2-5 defense may work at USA and Washington, but it’s not winning defense in the SEC.
GAG. 'Bama has run the 4-2-5 for freaking ever. Smart, Pruitt, Gol&ing and Steele all ran the 4-2-5 way, way more than anything else - somewhere between 85-90% of our D plays were from that set over the years due to offenses running 3 WR sets more often than not.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you say so. IMO, the biggest plays were the little ones. The ones that wore Alabama out.
The 4 plays that favored Alabama in which they went differently then Bama wins:

1) The interception- really can’t blame anyone for a fluke play

2) the penalty on a punt- this is on coaching and youth

3) 4th and 2 TD- quarterback throws a prayer ball duck where if Malachi plays the ball it’s intercepted or at worst broken up

4) 2nd and 13 pass- Malachi’s man runs wide open for what pretty much ends the game.

Yes Vandy’s little plays ultimately won the game but we were in desperate need for our veterans to step up and make one play and they didn’t.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The panic that comes with a loss is amazing.
One that normally comes with a historic loss. I'm not sure what other response would be expected. It was a historic loss for Alabama and a historical win for Vandy. It's very hard to minimize how bad yesterday's loss was.

Yah, I get it, it still only counts as one, we're still "in it", etc. I'm a former HS and college athlete. I've heard all the coach speak sayings after embarrassing losses to keep from losing the team and the season. And these coaches better roll out their best speeches because some of the behavior I saw during and after the game in response to the loss is a good recipe for losing a lockerroom if it's not gotten under control yesterday.

I personally think we'll be fine in the long run but this staff just had their first "test of metal" delivered to them square in the crotch. Now let's see how they respond.

Bama197

Scout Team
Sep 19, 2004
Anybody see the interview with Finebaum? He said there's only one person to blame for this loss....NICK SABAN! GIMME A BREAK!

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I agree. Alabama was going to take the lead and who knows how Vandy responds.
I really feel like the special teams penalty with the duplicate numbers was the turning point of the game. We had them stopped and was going to get the ball and go score putting them behind. Giving them the ball back and letting them get up 2 scores really gave them momentum and had them believing in themselves.
yes. take the lead, not let them play their game, make them throw the ball. But , it doesn’t matter. All the shifts, motions, the eye candy are just fluff. Play your assignment, trust the man next to plays disciplined football, and you win easily. I keep harping on this, but it’s really that simple.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads