The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
How many 3 or 4 * LBs do we need? I think we already have 5 in the next recruiting class.
I am sure Harmon is a good pickup, but I am just surprised by the total number of LBs in the class
keep in mind, DeBoer recruitment is about getting players that can play multiple positions. Once, they get on campus, their height and weight will change again. let's see how things shake up when the 2025 class is complete.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
How many 3 or 4 * LBs do we need? I think we already have 5 in the next recruiting class.
I am sure Harmon is a good pickup, but I am just surprised by the total number of LBs in the class
regarding star ratings, try not to get too concerned about it. the rankings and ratings in recruiting are very fluid. most have not been fully evaluated. furthermore, some kids can't make it to all the camps due to school schedule or financial issues. DeBoer and his staff did a great job of evaluating talent and most importantly developing lesser talent at Washington than some of the known powerhouses.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
keep in mind, DeBoer recruitment is about getting players that can play multiple positions. Once, they get on campus, their height and weight will change again. let's see how things shake up when the 2025 class is complete.
That was my thought. Get all these guys together and put the ones who play faster in the secondary and beef the others up a bit to play linebacker.

It will be interesting to see how this defense works against a physical team.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Fastest player on the 2025 class. Insane speed.
To your point Poke, see this from an article I saw.

The Underclassmen Report lists Brooks as having a top speed of 22.1 miles per hour last month. It was the top speed for prospects in the UC Report database for 2025 prospects, and it is the type of speed he showcased since he arrived on the high school scene.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
We lose three linebackers next year. And the system wommack runs requires guys that we kind of don't have on oster right now (smaller guys that can cover in space, as opposed to bigger run thumpers), a few of our inside guys this year may end up better fits at DE next year when we have more depth.

If you noyuced jow many LBs we offered the second the new staff took over you could see this coming.

It was also mentioned that some of these guys may not be LBs when they get here. TE is a position that deboer also want to add depth and he and Sheridan have hinted and wanting to add faster more athletic type guys there as well.

There's a very good chance we take a 6th LB if we can get Ty Jackson and we are going to make a push there.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Jaedon can run and is physical. Welcome and RTR Jaedon.

Jaedon Harmon - Rome - 2023 Junior Season Highlights (247sports.com)

I had a chance to watch his film. Wow! this kid comes with bad intentions, covers well in space, great tackler, has speed to pursue, hits hard, and is very physical!
look for his rankings to rise if his senior year is anything like his junior season.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Reactions: sanjosecrimson

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
regarding star ratings, try not to get too concerned about it. the rankings and ratings in recruiting are very fluid. most have not been fully evaluated. furthermore, some kids can't make it to all the camps due to school schedule or financial issues. DeBoer and his staff did a great job of evaluating talent and most importantly developing lesser talent at Washington than some of the known powerhouses.
I've heard this said. But it's still difficult not to be concerned. I don't recall this issue coming up during Saban's time as coach. He always got mostly 4* and 5*. He did get a few 3 star, and some were great. But it seems like lately it's all 3* and 4*. Don't see many 5* at all.

Reactions: some_al_fan

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I've heard this said. But it's still difficult not to be concerned. I don't recall this issue coming up during Saban's time as coach. He always got mostly 4* and 5*. He did get a few 3 star, and some were great. But it seems like lately it's all 3* and 4*. Don't see many 5* at all.
I would trust a coach's evaluation over that of some geek in a recruiting service trying to get clicks... :cool:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
247 has Alabama currently ranked #7 for the 2025 class with just 10 commits. our average player rankings are higher than the 3 teams ahead of Bama who have more commits.
Rivals has Bama ranked #8 and the average player rankings are higher than every team except for two teams in the Top 10 and that's including the #1 team at the moment. Deboer and staff are doing just fine.

Last edited:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
The folks here who religiously follow recruiting aren't worried about ut and are actually pretty impressed at this class so far.

This class would only be a few spots higher with Saban at the helm and that was because he had those long standing relationships.

I was skeptical too about recruiting but have followed very closely for years...im pretty impressed so far and we will end up closing strong. There isn't a player committed so far that isn't someone Saban would have taken.

Saban got a LOT more 3 stars than you remember but I've rthe last 10 years recruiting services amhave reacted heavily anytime Bama took a commit from one and usually bumped them to a four star after watching more film (lotzier) its the bama bump, it was a legit thing. But it wasn't services just doing us a favor it was them adjusting to what they must have missed.

Fwiw we took several 3 stars last year and a few of them are making splashes at camp, and in the portal age getting a 5 star who can't start right away means your prepping them for the transfer portal next year. Not an awful thing to have some guys who know they need ro develop.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We lose three linebackers next year. And the system wommack runs requires guys that we kind of don't have on oster right now (smaller guys that can cover in space, as opposed to bigger run thumpers), a few of our inside guys this year may end up better fits at DE next year when we have more depth.

If you noyuced jow many LBs we offered the second the new staff took over you could see this coming.

It was also mentioned that some of these guys may not be LBs when they get here. TE is a position that deboer also want to add depth and he and Sheridan have hinted and wanting to add faster more athletic type guys there as well.

There's a very good chance we take a 6th LB if we can get Ty Jackson and we are going to make a push there.

I'm not sure that's true. Our two likely ILB starters are just 230, so they aren't the massive guys of the early saban style and we haven't had that style in a long time. Foster's best year he was just 220.

USA starters last year were 225 and 228. Assuming just a small size increase because we're just going to have bigger/stronger/faster guys than USA means we're still likely looking at guys in the 230-235 range.

Since it's very similar to the UW system also, looking at their 2 deep from last year the ILBs were 236, 240, 237 and 226.

I do wonder if some of them might get looks at the S and SS spots. UWs starter at ss was 220, and 'husky' was 210 so that could be a fit for some of these guys who are only in the 200 range now.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.