Alabama QBs in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
There has to be improvement at the QB spot. Herbie said during the title game that Michigan will not be able to blitz and do the things against Washington they did against Alabama because the Huskies offense is more "sophisticated " and "complex". I'll let y'all read between the lines of what he's actually saying...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There has to be improvement at the QB spot. Herbie said during the title game that Michigan will not be able to blitz and do the things against Washington they did against Alabama because the Huskies offense is more "sophisticated " and "complex". I'll let y'all read between the lines of what he's actually saying...
quick decisions and knowing where your receivers are.

I’m a life long Steelers fan and we ran the zone blitz for years under Dick Lebeau. It confused 90% of the teams in the league but we had a hard time beating Tom Brady and Peyton manning because they would make pre snap reads and motion people to get looks.If someone is blitzing you then there is a hole somewhere.

landonew

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2023

I’m a life long Steelers fan and we ran the zone blitz for years under Dick Lebeau. It confused 90% of the teams in the league but we had a hard time beating Tom Brady and Peyton manning because they would make pre snap reads and motion people to get looks.If someone is blitzing you then there is a hole somewhere.
Yea they’re killing it.
IMG_2481.jpeg

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
For the love, landonew, can you please give the defending Milroe a rest? Find some other thread on here to engage discussion in, another player, the transfer portal, the price of eggs in China. I have seen parents do less to take up for their kids.

landonew

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2023
For the love, landonew, can you please give the defending Milroe a rest? Find some other thread on here to engage discussion in, another player, the transfer portal, the price of eggs in China. I have seen parents do less to take up for their kids.
Yea, I’ll give it a few days off. Some of these posts are horrible though.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Thank you. So what if they are horrible? Most of us don't come to these boards to litigate issues. I come on here in the evenings for a relaxing hobby. Not to get agitated. Discussing the starting QB at Bama has the same passion as voting for president or politics. Arguments never solved no one converted. Just people ****ed off.

Most people in here debate an issue a few points then move on or call a truce. We don't go back and forth like puppies fighting over a ham bone.

Yea, I’ll give it a few days off. Some of these posts are horrible though.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Thank you. So what if they are horrible? Most of us don't come to these boards to litigate issues. I come on here in the evenings for a relaxing hobby. Not to get agitated. Discussing the starting QB at Bama has the same passion as voting for president or politics. Arguments never solved no one converted. Just people ****ed off.

Most people in here debate an issue a few points then move on or call a truce. We don't go back and forth like puppies fighting over a ham bone.
Yeah this nonsense has gone on way too long. I think it’s more of an ego thing at this point. I gave it a shot again but it’s to the point where it feels like a troll or someone from Milroe’s family.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Yeah, Herbie (in a nice way) was saying our offense was overly simple and Michigan didn't have to worry about our offense "throwing them out of" their defense with QB reads.

AWRTR

All-American
Oct 18, 2022
Yeah, Herbie (in a nice way) was saying our offense was overly simple and Michigan didn't have to worry about our offense "throwing them out of" their defense with QB reads.
Makes what CNS and CTR did to get to the playoffs this year more impressive to me. They squeezed everything they could out of this team. I would love to see what CTR would have done with Bryce.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Next season’s schedule is too difficult to navigate with a stripped-down offense with open receivers waving their arms in vain. Michigan wrote the book on how to stop 2023 JM and you know Kirby will do the same thing in September 2024 but with better athletes. Hope JM takes the UM loss as a wake-up call and commits to improving his mental game. I also hope Saban commits to a true competition for QB1 in spring and fall camp. Can’t imagine Simpson would be staying on if there wasn’t going to be one.

The question many of us have is can JM improve at reading defenses, making quick decisions and hitting short and medium-range passes. I’m hoping he can, because with his physical gifts he’d be darn near unstoppable.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Don't get worked up man. I apologized for offending you. I'm doing my very best to politely respond to your points. Maybe you're right. Let's look at some other scouting reports. Here, Ian Cummings of Pro Football Focus (Bio below) has JM going late first round (#23 pick) -- this is what he has to say:

"Milroe could use another offseason of mechanical development, and missed reads are still a concern at times. But he’s improved leaps and bounds from the start of 2023, and his athleticism and creation capacity are truly elite at 6’2″, 220 pounds. With more mechanical growth, Milroe can continue to channel more of his natural arm talent, and his leadership ability — combined with his resilience in the face of adversity — should only win over NFL evaluators."​

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2025-nfl-mock-draft-cfb-week-13/

View attachment 39817
Jalen Milroe is the greatest QB to ever play the sport and anyone who says otherwise is just a hater. He will win the Maxwell and the Heisman, because he is that good he will fix everything in a few months. He will be drafted in the first round of the 2025 NFL draft as the #1 overall player and win at least 3 super bowls including being a pro-bowl player his rookie season. This is all blindingly obvious to anyone who doesn’t hate the kid.

There, I’ve said what you want. Random sunshine pumper cherry picks and nonsensical filler have shown me the light.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Makes what CNS and CTR did to get to the playoffs this year more impressive to me. They squeezed everything they could out of this team. I would love to see what CTR would have done with Bryce.
Yeah, it worked this past year, and got us within one win of a NC game appearance. But I wouldn't roll the dice on it working again or we will begin losing very talented wr's.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Are you saying that BY made plays to avoid a sack when pressure broke down?

BY was sacked 39 times in 2021. He was consistently sacked when pressure broke down just like JM.
Could’ve been 59, do you not watch games? Bryce Young routinely escaped pressure and made accurate downfield throws.

He hit Brooks on a play like this for an easy touchdown. I’m not sure the opponent, but I remember screaming, “why are there two receivers standing right beside each other?!?!” That was typical during the BoB era though.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Could’ve been 59, do you not watch games? Bryce Young routinely escaped pressure and made accurate downfield throws.

He hit Brooks on a play like this for an easy touchdown. I’m not sure the opponent, but I remember screaming, “why are there two receivers standing right beside each other?!?!” That was typical during the BoB era though.
O'Brien had his shortcomings, but two receivers in the same area was almost surely the receiver's fault. He and the QB are supposed to read the defense and adjust their "option" route accordingly, which would never result in two WRs in the same area. One can question the philosophy that Saban and O'Brien implemented in putting the burden of reading coverage on the QB and WR, but that is the conclusion to which CNS had come in hiring O'Brien. (This is also CNS's philosophy regarding his complex defense.)

A guess is that CNS' thinking is that "we have superior athletes" so option routes would be virtually unstoppable. OTOH, college kids don't have the same level of experience or time that the pros do to require that level of sophistication from the WRs. IDK how difficult it is to read coverage, but CNS has or had determined that it was doable. CBO, however bad one thinks he is, would of course never run a play to include putting 2 WRs in the same area. It was almost certainly a bad read by a WR.

It is also another recruiting edge - "we run an NFL offense".

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The "coach speak" point is actually a pretty good one. What about the actions of his teammates -- why haven't our WRs and TEs hit the transfer portal? Do you think they are returning to play with such a severely limited QB? If he's that limited, there'd have been a mass exodus.

There are two possible scenarios. Either you guys have observed shortcomings on broadcast television that JM's teammates and coaches have missed. Or you guys have convinced each other, through group think and confirmation bias, that JM is more limited than he actually is.
This aged well...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I hear you and don't disagree in general, but I would like to understand why Rees did not run the ball more - especially wide. They were playing 2 deep safeties as part of their plan to stop MIlroe, but this helps the running game immensely. Alabama was having great success in the running game, in fact, Michigan never stopped it. Haynes, Alabama's most talented runner, was especially having success, though Jase was doing a great job also. Between them and Miller's 1 carry they ran the ball 19 times for 129 yards, that is a 6.8 clip. And it was good consistent running, not 3 or 4 big plays. Here are the running plays by the RBs: Jase, Haynes, Miller. All listed are by Jase except as noted "H" and "M". 10 of the 19 were 5 yards or more, 6 more were 3 or 4 yards. The carries are grouped by drives.

TD

2 unsuccessful drives where only 1 RW carry for RBs

FG before half

Second half

9 H
11 H

8 H
3 H
TD

11 M
FG

OT

Bama was killing them on the ground, especially when mixing in some MIlroe runs.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
@BamaInBham That is an area I think Rees needs to improve on and that's when something is working to that degree, keep running it (literally) until they stop it more than one time. It's almost like a lot of these coordinators overthink things or as my dad likes to say "tries to get too cute" with things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads