Colin Sexton "takes all the credit" for beginning of program's rise.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Seems a little self-centered. What Bama Basketball has going on is Oats doing and being given the freedoms necessary from the AD office to make it happen.

BamaHoopsBoi

Scout Team
Apr 7, 2023
I love Sexton, but.i don't see how he deserves any credit at all for this. CNO obviously deserves the vast majority of credit, but I'd give Avery a very small amount of credit, because he did recruit the actual program changing player, which was Herb Jones, not Collin Sexton.
Would 100% agree that Herb Jones was the program changing player. We all know how not so good of a player Herb was when he played as a Freshman. Herb's metamorphosis showed us what Nate Oats is capable of when he develops a player.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
It really all goes back 120% to Antonio McDyess. He's physically, emotionally, and spiritually responsible for every single good thing that has happened to Alabama Basketball since he left early for the NBA. We've just been on a meteoric rise on autopilot ever since he left.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Would 100% agree that Herb Jones was the program changing player. We all know how not so good of a player Herb was when he played as a Freshman. Herb's metamorphosis showed us what Nate Oats is capable of when he develops a player.
Herb was an elite defender when he first stepped foot on campus. His offensive skills needed some improvement but he had some good moments even as a freshman. He scored double figures against Oklahoma, for example. Even back then there was some talk that he could develop into a 1st round draft pick.

Reactions: BamaHoopsBoi

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It really all goes back 120% to Antonio McDyess. He's physically, emotionally, and spiritually responsible for every single good thing that has happened to Alabama Basketball since he left early for the NBA. We've just been on a meteoric rise on autopilot ever since he left.
Pretty sure all the good things happening are all credited to me and the t-shirts I wear while watching. I apologize for the losses.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Listen Bama basketball is at an elite status right now, but Bama basketball has been elite for a long time with two Hall of Fame coaches in CM Newton and Wimp, so if it makes Mr Sexton feel good about taking credit, alrighty then, but when he plays in his first playoff game I might pay attention to him

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Meh.

Herb Jones might've got coached up, but he's "all heart" and that's what made him the player he is. Never seen that kind of improvement in such a short time.

As of right now, I'd say Brandon Miller is more of the face of our program, in terms of players who've made it big.

Reactions: WoodyInPelham

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don’t consider anyone who only stays one season to be a difference maker. Maybe if he got us to the Final Four but we lost in the second round by 23 points. (To be fair, it was to the eventual champions). And a year later the coach got fired.

And we were 17-14 in the regular season (lost last five in a row) and ninth in the league. Had we not won our first SECT game by one point we don’t get a chance to upset the barn. At 17-15 with a six game losing streak we are very much on the bubble. Maybe Dayton at best.

So let’s dial it back a bit, Colin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tide Rev

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Do I think he was the only reason? No, but Sexton's coming to Bama was a big deal after the lows of late-era Gottfried/Grant and allowed CAJ to draw better talent to UA, even if he could never really put the pieces together. CNO would likely have accomplished what he has regardless, but it didn't hurt to have Herb/Petty/Reese etc. his first year and to have Sexton set a precedent for Bama as a destination for blue-chip HS talent.

He certainly could have phrased his remarks better.

Your mileage, of course, may vary, but it is a fun conversation topic.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Do I think he was the only reason? No, but Sexton's coming to Bama was a big deal after the lows of late-era Gottfried/Grant and allowed CAJ to draw better talent to UA, even if he could never really put the pieces together. CNO would likely have accomplished what he has regardless, but it didn't hurt to have Herb/Petty/Reese etc. his first year and to have Sexton set a precedent for Bama as a destination for blue-chip HS talent.

He certainly could have phrased his remarks better.

Your mileage, of course, may vary, but it is a fun conversation topic.
It sounded like the reporter game him a chance to back up and instead he doubled down.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads