Infrastructure: Memphis I40 bridge over Mississippi river closed indefinitely after stress fracture discovered

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
This reminds me of the Lake Charles I-10 bridge. Not that there are cracks in it but the thing is so old and looks terrible.
I love the M bridge and have always thought it was beautiful. Coming from Arkansas into Memphis, especially at night, it is an absolutely beautiful view with the city skyline.

I don't know about now, but when I lived in Memphis, in the 70's, Memphians were very proud of the bridge. I suspect they still are and will be heartbroken if the bridge has to be removed.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
When I was at UA in the '70s, I drove to and from my parents' home in Springfield, Illinois through Memphis (using the I-55 bridge) and up to St. Louis until the last times when more interstates made it easier to go to Nashville. Don't think I'd go through Memphis now unless I lacked an alternative. Although, I wonder how the bridge over the Ohio on I-24 is doing...
I am not scared on bridges at all, despite a fear of heights, but the really narrow bridge between Maysville Ohio and Kentucky over the Ohio River is absolutely hair-raising to drive over. Looks fine - till you're on it. Then it's white knuckles all the way across. It's much too narrow, especially seeing an oncoming semi.

Reactions: PaulD

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

The Tennessee Department of Transportation is reviewing proposals from potential contractors that could stabilize the bridge in the short term and possibly replace the damaged beam, Shannon Newton, the Arkansas Trucking Association president, said in an interview.

I wonder if there is a quick fix that would allow automobile traffic on the bridge (trucks prohibited) while they come up with a permanent fix or replace the bride.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I wonder if there is a quick fix that would allow automobile traffic on the bridge (trucks prohibited) while they come up with a permanent fix or replace the bride.
On the news today they're saying they think they have a plan in place that could open the bridge back up in bout two-week's time while the new girder is being manufactured.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't know about now, but when I lived in Memphis, in the 70's, Memphians were very proud of the bridge. I suspect they still are and will be heartbroken if the bridge has to be removed.
Yeah, it's still the iconic part of the city most everyone loves. Especially now that a private organization raised the funds to cover it in LEDs - it can be quite breathtaking at night...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am not scared on bridges at all, despite a fear of heights, but the really narrow bridge between Maysville Ohio and Kentucky over the Ohio River is absolutely hair-raising to drive over. Looks fine - till you're on it. Then it's white knuckles all the way across. It's much too narrow, especially seeing an oncoming semi.
Bridges terrify my wife. When I was completing the Blue Ridge Parkway (cycling) she rode sag for me and we almost reached an impasse when we got to Linwood Cove Viaduct. She almost couldn't drive it - and I was biking it... :)

Attachments

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Bridges terrify my wife. When I was completing the Blue Ridge Parkway (cycling) she rode sag for me and we almost reached an impasse when we got to Linwood Cove Viaduct. She almost couldn't drive it - and I was biking it... :)
Beautiful drive, but I wouldn't even attempt it on a bike. o_O

Reactions: MobtownK

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The pic doesn't really do it justice. I goes on and on, wrapped around Grandfather Mountain and cantilevered out into space on the outside. It was the last section of the Parkway to be complete, in 1987. I dealt with it by just not letting my mind dwell on the plunge on my right...

NPS

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The pic doesn't really do it justice. I goes on and on, wrapped around Grandfather Mountain and cantilevered out into space on the outside. It was the last section of the Parkway to be complete, in 1987. I dealt with it by just not letting my mind dwell on the plunge on my right...

NPS
I have driven along the BRP in a snowstorm. I had to keep reminding myself to relax because it was not a relaxing experience, but tensing up would have been dangerous

Reactions: MobtownK

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have driven along the BRP in a snowstorm. I had to keep reminding myself to relax because it was not a relaxing experience, but tensing up would have been dangerous
I've not done it in a snowstorm, but the only times I felt in danger were the stretch right by Asheville and, particularly, state 191 leading into Asheville. I had broken a spoke climbing Waterrock Knob and had no choice but to find a bike shop (no wife riding sag). The Parkway right there serves as a commuter shortcut for Asheville and 191 is packed with 18 wheelers going into town there. There's also not much shoulder and the truckers have about as high regard for bikers as for a gnat...

Reactions: B1GTide

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I drove across this. The most notable thing is you don’t see it until you’re on it. A little wow moment

That looks a lot like going over the Snake River Gorge in Twin Falls, Idaho. The land is prairie flat on either side and all of a sudden you are on and extremely high bridge. Breathtaking.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
That looks a lot like going over the Snake River Gorge in Twin Falls, Idaho. The land is prairie flat on either side and all of a sudden you are on and extremely high bridge. Breathtaking.

I missed that one. Was driving to Ketchum, Idaho from Salt Lake City and the the interstate exit for that highway was a mile or so north of the bridge.

Reactions: Go Bama

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Fred Hartman Bridge. It replaced the Baytown Tunnel when ship channel was deepened about 25 years ago. TugTide may have run under this a few times. It’s going to see more traffic in a few years when Highway 99 is complete (a 185 mile long loop around Houston)

DF659635-FE55-4856-A62A-78B7880048FA.jpeg

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Fred Hartman Bridge. It replaced the Baytown Tunnel when ship channel was deepened about 25 years ago. TugTide may have run under this a few times. It’s going to see more traffic in a few years when Highway 99 is complete (a 185 mile long loop around Houston)

View attachment 16421
I may be wrong, but that bridge looks more modern, and easier to maintain than the M bridge. There is a similar looking bridge in Boston.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Benjamin Fitzpatrick Bridge in Tallassee, AL is showing its age. Built in 1940.

I use to drive it daily, and I've walked it many times. Lived <1 mile away, and use to fish on the rocks under the bridge (really dangerous when the dam sirens go off and the water rises fast).

If I hadn't driven it nearly all my life, seeing this one would gove me pause. It definitely looks like it needs some repairs and upgrades.

bridgeunderneath1c.jpg

Reactions: Go Bama

Latest threads