Keelon Russell (2025 QB) commits to Bama.

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I had no idea Brodie won an Elite 11 and I find that shocking.

He threw Lasers and had a Very strong arm overall but he had terrible touch.

He was like a much smaller Kitchens in that regard.

Didn't matter the Route or Distance those 2 just threw it as hard as they could.
And till today, Tua throws the best slant pass I've ever seen

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This development is awesome. And I didn't know he was only 16.

Glad CKD jumped on him before the EE because there's no way he's playing at SMU after winning this.

As others are saying, it just proves CKD has an eye for talent before others see it. Dare we compare that to a guy we refer to as CNS. Granted CNS's eye was typically one for defensive guys and CKD seems to be more of the offensive guy, but the comparisons are real!

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I had no idea Brodie won an Elite 11 and I find that shocking.

He threw Lasers and had a Very strong arm overall but he had terrible touch.

He was like a much smaller Kitchens in that regard.

Didn't matter the Route or Distance those 2 just threw it as hard as they could.
That was before 7 on 7s really caught on and made year round football a thing for high school kids. Thats when the boom in qb talent really kicked in.

That combined with brodies two acl tears kinda killed his development.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If it's the throw I thinking about I think he kinda dropped his arm and sidearmed it.

He just looks like he's playing a game of back yard football he's so loose.
I didn't see a single traditional pass in that clip. He flips it out with a side arm angle. Nothing wrong with that, but it might limit his ability to really air it out

Reactions: Con

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
He will be a 5* and possibly top QB on most services, if not all, very soon.
Russell recently stated that he wants to be the best Texas high school QB ever. Those are lofty goals indeed, and with his untapped potential and talent, I don't doubt him. He will be a young man on fire during his senior campaign and put all the scouting services on notice.

Last edited:
  • Roll Tide!
Reactions: Con

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I didn't know whether to laugh, be mad, or scratch my head. I settled on scratching my head.

I had this same thought when I saw we flipped an SMU commit. Hard to get excited about that, in combination with the feeling that no body is going to stay on the team longer than a year or two. I wish to be proven wrong and this kid end up winning some hardware for us, but I'm so pessimistic about these kind of things anymore.

Reactions: jjv0004

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I had this same thought when I saw we flipped an SMU commit. Hard to get excited about that, in combination with the feeling that no body is going to stay on the team longer than a year or two. I wish to be proven wrong and this kid end up winning some hardware for us, but I'm so pessimistic about these kind of things anymore.

May wanna check the recent updates on the smu commit we flipped.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I didn't see a single traditional pass in that clip. He flips it out with a side arm angle. Nothing wrong with that, but it might limit his ability to really air it out
That may be why is looks so effortless. He's a tall kid too so a little lower throwing angle won't hinder him. He makes it look pretty easy. Effortless. No questioning the arm strength either!

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

Bhammer

1st Team
Jan 4, 2007
Birmingham

“We knew he was a dynamic athlete with one of the best on-field resumes in the class, but didn't realize just how talented of a passer he really is until getting a chance to evaluate him alongside some of his peers. Russell can rip the ball on tight lines to all three levels. He also can change his release and arm angles to manipulate coverages. If there's one finalist that absolutely put himself in the five-star discussion this week, it's Russell.”

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
You can get a lot of velocity with a sidearm motion, but if you are standing back in the pocket the DLs will be batting those passes all day long...:unsure:

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
You can get a lot of velocity with a sidearm motion, but if you are standing back in the pocket the DLs will be batting those passes all day long...:unsure:
I read an article that stated the evaluators at Elite 11 “liked the way he can change his arm angle to get around defenders.” He seems coachable enough to be developed in that regard, but maybe it is just part of who he is as a QB. Brett Favre was that way.

Reactions: Con and NoNC4Tubs

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
I don't really think his chosen destination has any bearing on whether or not he's a great recruit. Travis Hunter was the number 1 player in the country and signed with an FCS school; different strokes for different folks. Plus, SMU has deep pockets, and they're in a power 4 conference now. I think KR was DeBoer's top choice. It sounds like he might have been onto something.

Reactions: dWarriors88

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads