Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread - Bama @ Vandy...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Oh really? What about Texas A&M in 2021? We lost to freaking Zach Calzada at QB for A&M. Vandy’s QB Pavia is a much better college QB than Calzada ever was. So how did Saban lose that? Everybody wants to blame Golding but look what he’s doing now with a head coach that gives him free reign. He was running Saban’s defense. Saban never adapted his defense to the changes happening in college football so he was losing these kinds of games too. But y’all who worship at the Saban won’t ever admit it.
I mean, if you don't worship Saban then you flat out ain't a Tide Fan I can tell you that.

• Thank You
Reactions: Methylred

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I mean, if you don't worship Saban then you flat out ain't a Tide Fan I can tell you that.
“Look at you losers, with your respect and admiration for the greatest coach in college football history who won 6 national titles at Alabama! What’s next, you gonna say you have respect and admiration for some whiskey drinking coach from the 70s?! Lololol losers”
- Shoals, apparently

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As far as the worst loss type of discussion, I don't care enough about other teams to really get that invested in the who Alabama lost to stuff. I didn't take Auburn losses as hard as some people for that very reason, I don't care about Auburn, I only care about how it influences Alabama. So yes some of those were pretty devastating to Alabama's title hopes, certainly more so than this loss.

The late season losses that knocked Alabama out of contention, the playoff losses, the championship game losses, those are the worst Alabama losses as far as I'm concerned because those are the ones that were the most costly. This in relation to that is just another early season loss.

Most disconcerting loss? This has to be up there, because no, this wasn't like losing to a talented Texas A&M team, or a team coached by Steven Spurrier. This was losing to a team that was vastly inferior in terms of talent, and that makes it extremely alarming.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and B1GTide

22Musso22

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2023
Birmingham, Alabama
This Vanderbilt loss is the WORST loss I have ever seen as an Alabama fan.

I have been a fan since 1971!

No other game comes close!

We were the NUMBER ONE TEAM IN THE NATION and lost to an inept team who had less fans in their own stadium than our fans!

• Emphasis!
Reactions: BamaInCummingGA

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I am worried about what it might mean with respect the fairly immediate future of this team and coaching staff. I don't want to see Alabama wandering through the wilderness again.
I certainly don’t either. My experience is my own and I don’t expect anyone else to feel the same way. I used to live and die with this team. I knew every player, their height/weight, and their hometowns. Now, I don’t know who half the starting lineup is. Heck, it’s probably closer to 3/4s.

When NIL and the portal became a thing, my fandom started waning. When I watched a Nick Saban coached team go to Knoxville and lose and admit they were afraid in the pregame tunnel, I knew I had lost touch with the current generation of player.

It does not mean as much to the average current day player as it once did. So it doesn’t mean nearly as much to me as it used to. I know that’s not true for everyone on that team… but for a critical mass, it unfortunately is.

Hopefully yesterday is the actual wake up call. But they’ve been sleeping through wake up calls since the 2020 season ended, and now that Coach Saban is gone… well I guess we will see if now they will finally come to life again.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Well said. Nothing about Tennessee losing or Auburn getting thumped makes me feel any better about the clown show by Alabama as a defense yesterday.
Agree, but there was no ribbing from those folks this morning...😎

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not sure where I defense "ranked" before these last two games, but IIRC, I remember most folks being pretty happy.

Now, what has happened? IDK, but I do know the last two games have a context.

After the 28-0 lead, Georgia had nothing to lose and threw the kitchen sink at us. All the 4th down conversions kept them in the game...the defense did the normal job...got them into 4th down...which is normally a punt.

Then this game with whatever it's called "bone/flex" - I'm not even sure - but nobody runs it and it's hard to prepare for. I remember the Georgia State game and how CNS's team couldn't stop them either.

So, let's see what happens when next week it's a more "normal" type of defensive challenge.

Those who are calling for Womack's job? What would we do? We are NOT going back to CNS's defense in the middle of the season. We are running Womack's offense this season, even if somebody else steps in for him.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We were also never in danger of losing that game. We were just surprised how many points GaSouthern was able to score. We led the entire game by 2 scores.
But when you combine the bad breaks (tipped pick 6) which is a possible 14 point swing and combine that with Vandy having SEC players...you can see how it contributed to the result.

Reactions: bamajas

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
One of the things that I think set the tone for our disaster was having two players in the game with the same number at the same time! As a coach, I don't understand that "strategy" at all. That's stupid and I think that was a big turning point in the game.
That's not strategy, that's a screw-up.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I'm not sure where I defense "ranked" before these last two games, but IIRC, I remember most folks being pretty happy.

Now, what has happened? IDK, but I do know the last two games have a context.

After the 28-0 lead, Georgia had nothing to lose and threw the kitchen sink at us. All the 4th down conversions kept them in the game...the defense did the normal job...got them into 4th down...which is normally a punt.

Then this game with whatever it's called "bone/flex" - I'm not even sure - but nobody runs it and it's hard to prepare for. I remember the Georgia State game and how CNS's team couldn't stop them either.

So, let's see what happens when next week it's a more "normal" type of defensive challenge.

Those who are calling for Womack's job? What would we do? We are NOT going back to CNS's defense in the middle of the season. We are running Womack's offense this season, even if somebody else steps in for him.
Don't disagree. Just amazed that CKW has never seen that offense before and didn't know how to adjust to it. 🙄

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
But when you combine the bad breaks (tipped pick 6) which is a possible 14 point swing and combine that with Vandy having SEC players...you can see how it contributed to the result.
Just curious, I missed the first half but was Williams even open on that play. In highlights it appeared that Milroe was forcing a bad situation. Any thoughts? 🤔

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Don't disagree. Just amazed that CKW has never seen that offense before and didn't know how to adjust to it. 🙄
I'm not trained enough in defensive awareness to know, but someone in the post game thread said we tried adjustments, but then they adjusted to our adjustments. IDK?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just curious, I missed the first half but was Williams even open on that play. In highlights it appeared the Milroe was forcing a bad situation. Any thoughts? 🤔
The defensive player timed the hit almost perfectly. Some claim it was PI, but it was just a good hit.

The pass looked high (but the TV viewing angle at Vandy is awful!) so it was hard to tell. Just a weird, freaky play that fell right in the Vandy player's breadbasket and it was a walk in Pic Six. The kinda of things that happen when #1 gets upset. Remember the crazy pass against OM that got tipped and caught and turned into a TD? Similar IMO.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

AlistarWills

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2006
Just curious, I missed the first half but was Williams even open on that play. In highlights it appeared the Milroe was forcing a bad situation. Any thoughts? 🤔
I believe you are right. He was covered. Milroe went there because of a pre-snap read and Vandy had disguised the coverage baiting him.

• Thank You
Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
As far as the worst loss type of discussion, I don't care enough about other teams to really get that invested in the who Alabama lost to stuff. I didn't take Auburn losses as hard as some people for that very reason, I don't care about Auburn, I only care about how it influences Alabama. So yes some of those were pretty devastating to Alabama's title hopes, certainly more so than this loss.

The late season losses that knocked Alabama out of contention, the playoff losses, the championship game losses, those are the worst Alabama losses as far as I'm concerned because those are the ones that were the most costly. This in relation to that is just another early season loss.

Most disconcerting loss? This has to be up there, because no, this wasn't like losing to a talented Texas A&M team, or a team coached by Steven Spurrier. This was losing to a team that was vastly inferior in terms of talent, and that makes it extremely alarming.
You don't live in Alabama, do you?🤔😖

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Kick Six is my worst loss. Took a chance at a 3peat off the table. The players on the field didnt know you can return a failed FG and the coaches didnt tell them. We had no answer for their offense defensively. Sure it was more equally matched teams but it was lack of coaching and preparation. Alot of similarities in how the games played out in that you can see the games where the coaches havent mentally prepared the players.
I could be wrong, but I thought CNS told them they had to remember to cover if the kick was short.

I hated the loss, but at least it was a close game.

2010 was worse to me after the huge halftime lead.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not trained enough in defensive awareness to know, but someone in the post game thread said we tried adjustments, but then they adjusted to our adjustments. IDK?
Their coaches were three plays ahead of our DC all game long. The analyst Cole Cubelec figured out Vandys OC was using 1st down as a "throw away" down to see what we were doing then adjusting from there. It worked the entire game.

• Thank You
Reactions: BamaMoon and UAH

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads