Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread - Bama @ Vandy...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I certainly don’t either. My experience is my own and I don’t expect anyone else to feel the same way. I used to live and die with this team. I knew every player, their height/weight, and their hometowns. Now, I don’t know who half the starting lineup is. Heck, it’s probably closer to 3/4s.

When NIL and the portal became a thing, my fandom started waning. When I watched a Nick Saban coached team go to Knoxville and lose and admit they were afraid in the pregame tunnel, I knew I had lost touch with the current generation of player.

It does not mean as much to the average current day player as it once did. So it doesn’t mean nearly as much to me as it used to. I know that’s not true for everyone on that team… but for a critical mass, it unfortunately is.

Hopefully yesterday is the actual wake up call. But they’ve been sleeping through wake up calls since the 2020 season ended, and now that Coach Saban is gone… well I guess we will see if now they will finally come to life again.
I am sure that there are a number of us feeling the same way!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I totally agree with TideEngineer's post above and sadly feel the same way. To me the two most glaring shortcomings of this team is a porous defense and an OL that cannot establish a consistent running game. Over the past 4-5 years we have become a team that lives or dies with the explosive big play and no longer capable of the OL imposing its will against the opponent's DL, and sustaining time consuming drives. It took a team like Vanderbilt to pull our pants down on national TV to really expose how weak this team is. As for the rest of the season, unless there is major improvements , we could likely lose to Tennessee, Missouri, USCe, LSU, and possibly Auburn. Best case we win 3of those 5 games and finish 9-3 and head to a second tier bowl game. I have zero confidence in this team.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I could be wrong, but I thought CNS told them they had to remember to cover if the kick was short.

I hated the loss, but at least it was a close game.

2010 was worse to me after the huge halftime lead.
2013 I expected us to lose. Auburn just beat Georgia on a miracle play and they were going to give us everything. Saban only treated the game as a big game once in his entire career here and that was 08. The Kick Six probably just saved us from it being a 2003 Tennessee game.

2010 I didn’t see in person because I was deployed, but I think if I had seen it live then it might have been the worst to me.

As is, if we are going off games that kept us from bigger prizes I think 2022 LSU is up there. We had no business losing to them and I have no doubt we would’ve thumped Georgia in Atlanta had we gotten past LSU.

Reactions: BamaMoon

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Their coaches were three plays ahead of our DC all game long. The analyst Cole Cubelec figured out Vandys OC was using 1st down as a "throw away" down to see what we were doing then adjusting from there. It worked the entire game.
For a Barner, CC is a good analyst IMO. I heard him say that. Kept talking about the "eye candy" and apparently we were "suckers" all game long.

I know we should never lose to Vandy, but they just flat out beat us with their offensive play calling and controlling the clock.

I don't think we'll be the last team they'll beat that wasn't thinking they'd lose to Vandy.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I totally agree with TideEngineer's post above and sadly feel the same way. To me the two most glaring shortcomings of this team is a porous defense and an OL that cannot establish a consistent running game. Over the past 4-5 years we have become a team that lives or dies with the explosive big play and no longer capable of the OL imposing its will against the opponent's DL, and sustaining time consuming drives. It took a team like Vanderbilt to pull our pants down on national TV to really expose how weak this team is. As for the rest of the season, unless there is major improvements , we could likely lose to Tennessee, Missouri, USCe, LSU, and possibly Auburn. Best case we win 3of those 5 games and finish 9-3 and head to a second tier bowl game. I have zero confidence in this team.
IDK. I think this loss is more on a bunch of immature players on defense in a transitional year. Yeah everyone can scream for Womack’s head and claim Deboer inherited a Saban team, but at the end of the day players make plays. I don’t think there is much leadership on defense nor is there much experience. I think by LSU we will be a lot better but are we 4-0 or 2-2 going into Baton Rouge.

Teams with leadership find ways out of deep holes, teams without them dig them deeper. I think this should be on everyone’s locker for the rest of the year. You really need to be honest what LANK means. Is it self promotion disguised as a team motto or is it something the team believes really gives them an edge. We will find out after this month.

IMG_3614.jpeg

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IDK. I think this loss is more on a bunch of immature players on defense in a transitional year. Yeah everyone can scream for Womack’s head and claim Deboer inherited a Saban team, but at the end of the day players make plays. I don’t think there is much leadership on defense nor is there much experience. I think by LSU we will be a lot better but are we 4-0 or 2-2 going into Baton Rouge.

Teams with leadership find ways out of deep holes, teams without them dig them deeper. I think this should be on everyone’s locker for the rest of the year. You really need to be honest what LANK means. Is it self promotion disguised as a team motto or is it something the team believes really gives them an edge. We will find out after this month.

View attachment 46106
I hate it. Hated it before the Vandy loss.

But it's the new culture of college football. Still hate it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think it was around halftime, but one of the announcers (Sideline reporter?) said Vandy's QB, RB and some others spent every night for two weeks reviewing Bama games from this season.

Preparation.
With his brothers. See his post game interview.

He claimed God gave him a vision of this. He loved Johnny Football and tried to mimic him. I guess he did....

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

CrimsonCleanse

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2023
Looking back at the post Bryant era, Perkins inherited a Bryant team that had gone 8-4 in 1982. Given that Bryant's health was deteriorating quickly, 8-4 was probably the ceiling for that 1982 team. Perkins' first season in 1983 was a transitional year and he matched the record from 1982. A few bounces go our way, and maybe 83 is a little better.

But 1984 is where we just knew that things were different at Bama. And the loss to Vanderbilt was the point where it was realized. I have accepted that the 2020 national championship may very well be the last one in my lifetime. And if it is, then it is. I witnessed two golden eras in Bama football history. So, I obviously can't complain. I just hope like crazy that we aren't headed into another time of only having a coach for 3-4 seasons at most before we are looking for another one.

Reactions: Slowpoke Catracho

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Just curious, I missed the first half but was Williams even open on that play. In highlights it appeared that Milroe was forcing a bad situation. Any thoughts? 🤔
The receiver was well covered but it was Williams (Milroe's security blanket) so he threw it anyway.
The ball getting tipped up was a bit fluky, but it was not exactly thrown to the DB.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I keep seeing that "You can't run a 4-2-5 defense in the SEC", but UGA, Ole Miss, LSU and others run that base. Even "Happy Meal" (Pruitt} ran it at Tennessee after he went away from the 3-4.
No one is saying that - they are saying that you can't run Wommacks version of this defense, which is more like a 3-3-5

Reactions: Slowpoke Catracho

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
2013 I expected us to lose. Auburn just beat Georgia on a miracle play and they were going to give us everything. Saban only treated the game as a big game once in his entire career here and that was 08. The Kick Six probably just saved us from it being a 2003 Tennessee game.

2010 I didn’t see in person because I was deployed, but I think if I had seen it live then it might have been the worst to me.

As is, if we are going off games that kept us from bigger prizes I think 2022 LSU is up there. We had no business losing to them and I have no doubt we would’ve thumped Georgia in Atlanta had we gotten past LSU.
Yeah, that robbery in Knoxville prior I think greatly affected us in that game... :cool:

kwftide

1st Team
Oct 20, 1999
Mebane, NC
Looking back at the post Bryant era, Perkins inherited a Bryant team that had gone 8-4 in 1982. Given that Bryant's health was deteriorating quickly, 8-4 was probably the ceiling for that 1982 team. Perkins' first season in 1983 was a transitional year and he matched the record from 1982. A few bounces go our way, and maybe 83 is a little better.

But 1984 is where we just knew that things were different at Bama. And the loss to Vanderbilt was the point where it was realized. I have accepted that the 2020 national championship may very well be the last one in my lifetime. And if it is, then it is. I witnessed two golden eras in Bama football history. So, I obviously can't complain. I just hope like crazy that we aren't headed into another time of only having a coach for 3-4 seasons at most before we are looking for another one.
It’s the way of the world now, so why should Bama be different?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
we have very talented DL but we only use two at a time. The alignment used allows for teams to power run, use traps, and options to run all over us. And if the MLBs don’t fill the gaps, the opponent will get a minimum of 3-4 yards every play. LT Overton, smith, and company are taking on double teams (this means the MLBs are going unblocked).
well, not really. We use 2 DT types, and a guy who is too big to be an OLB in the old scheme, but not quite big enough to be a DT. Overton is one of those, as is Latham.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads