Power 5 vote to allow paying players

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Oh I know.....but we're gonna hear Power 5 all year this year at least. Pac 2 lives on, running on fumes.

ACC should be next once their big boys disperse amongst the SEC and Big 10.

Big 12........meh, you're right, the ACC and Big 12 are basically group of 7?
I wish we would just drop the monikers altogether. Everyone knows which conference runs college football.

Reactions: Con

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I wish we would just drop the monikers altogether. Everyone knows which conference runs college football.
Well, when the SEC and Big 10 make their own league.....we'll have a new name.

Then all the other schools make their own league....another new name.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Logical conclusion of the NIL drama.

The destruction of the game continues unabated. It's kind of humorous, the discussion we had after Coach Saban's retirement, on a possible new name for Bryant-Denny Stadium. How do we incorporate "Saban" into the name. The discussion should really be how are we going to fit Mercedes or Golden Flake into the name?

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Great. Now my expectation is that this ultimately means players have to EARN their $$ on and off field.

Coaching salaries should also be cut to help pay for this. The dramatically increasing monetary benefits have accrued to them at the expense of the players. Time to fix that. Since players will now be professionals we may revisit the “no criticisms” rule here on TF with a new mantra: You’re a pro … act like it.

NWGATideFan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 17, 2006
College sports programs cannot exist without college football. They simply don't make any money.
College athletics will survive.

They existed before this mess, and they exist at the lower levels.

The vast majority of colleges today do not make any money off their sports programs.
They run deficits. I blame this on the colleges and universities spending a boat load of money trying to keep up with the "Jones".

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/econom...g-in-the-high-revenue-world-of-college-sports

"In 2019, only 25 of 130 schools in the high-grossing Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) whose members are large, mostly public universities (with some exceptions such as Notre Dame, Northwestern, and Stanford) reported positive net revenues (see here). In fact, the median athletic program in FBS in 2019 (the last pre-pandemic year) had an operating deficit of $18.8 million. The same was true in the other two Division I subdivisions: among the 125 schools of the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) the median program ran a deficit of $14.3 million, and in DI without football (94 schools) it was of $14.4 million."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
College athletics will survive.

They existed before this mess, and they exist at the lower levels.

The vast majority of colleges today do not make any money off their sports programs.
They run deficits. I blame this on the colleges and universities spending a boat load of money trying to keep up with the "Jones".

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/econom...g-in-the-high-revenue-world-of-college-sports

"In 2019, only 25 of 130 schools in the high-grossing Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) whose members are large, mostly public universities (with some exceptions such as Notre Dame, Northwestern, and Stanford) reported positive net revenues (see here). In fact, the median athletic program in FBS in 2019 (the last pre-pandemic year) had an operating deficit of $18.8 million. The same was true in the other two Division I subdivisions: among the 125 schools of the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) the median program ran a deficit of $14.3 million, and in DI without football (94 schools) it was of $14.4 million."
This is true. We have high school sports, after all. Although there are some high schools in Texas with football stadiums far nicer than many G5 colleges.

But this is bigger than athletics. The entire collegiate system in this country is teetering on the brink of ruin. Things are happening outside the realm of sports that are going to topple the whole thing. And I'm not referring to even anything that would be considered political (although everything is political nowadays).

Reactions: B1GTide

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Logical conclusion of the NIL drama.

The destruction of the game continues unabated. It's kind of humorous, the discussion we had after Coach Saban's retirement, on a possible new name for Bryant-Denny Stadium. How do we incorporate "Saban" into the name. The discussion should really be how are we going to fit Mercedes or Golden Flake into the name?
In the middle of all of this " stuff " ( NIL, free agency-AKA Transfer Portal , revenue sharing for players, etc., etc.)........will players have to actually go to class and pass courses? Do they even have to now?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
In the middle of all of this " stuff " ( NIL, free agency-AKA Transfer Portal , revenue sharing for players, etc., etc.)........will players have to actually go to class and pass courses? Do they even have to now?
In the future, I think the answer will definitely be no. Today? I think the answer is pretty much no.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think that`s true. When was the last time someone was deemed " academically ineligible " ? I can`t remember the last one. These guys didn`t all of a sudden morph into brainiacs. And when you consider the top tier public high school academic preparation that the vast majority are getting.......? Please.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I think that`s true. When was the last time someone was deemed " academically ineligible " ? I can`t remember the last one. These guys didn`t all of a sudden morph into brainiacs. And when you consider the top tier public high school academic preparation that the vast majority are getting.......? Please.
Only one that comes to mind recently is John Emery at LSU a few years ago.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don’t understand all the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

It strikes me as simple recognition of what‘s been going on since aTm’s 2022 recruiting class.

IOW, what’s really changed here?

I actually like the structure around revenue sharing. While it’s by no means a solution, I’m hoping it’s the first step out of the current chaos.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This is my question. Are they actually going be “students” on scholarship with “academic” requirements or not? Or will players now be part of teams representing the university “brand”?

If it is the latter, then philosophically you have to ask the question of where this fits into academic mission of the universities? Will these teams have nothing to do academics and everything to do marketing and brand promotion? In other words, professional teams branded by the university?

it is the former, and if there will be revenue sharing, then why the need for the university to provide academic support via scholarships? Shouldn’t the “cost of attendance” now be the responsibility of our new version of “student athletes”? Which then begs the question about the non revenue generating sports? Most discussions seem to point to the lion’s share of revenue sharing (along with this settlement) will go to football and basketball. My sense is that a number of these sports will be eliminated while still attempting to maintain Title IX compliance.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Fast forward to the opening games of 2028.
11 am ABC, FOX/NBC (shared content). Toyota RAV4 Alabama Crimson Tide pods @ Ford F150 Michigan Wolverine work boots.
11 am CBS, Univision/X (formerly Twitter) (shared content)) Amazon Prime Colorado Buffalo Rock vs (neutral site-Yellowwood Coors field Alamo Dome) Kellogg Auburn Tony Tiger Eagle brand potato chips.

Last edited:
  • Smash Keyboard
Reactions: UAllday

Joefus

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2021
I mean really in the big picture this really doesn’t change anything. Every major program has always been paying players since forever. Now more players make more money and it’s not a secret anymore. Most players weren’t exactly taking their studies seriously before so now it’ll be out in the open too. The first couple of years at Bama my grades were trash and I had to take gpa boosters those summers and let me tell you there were some players I was shocked could remember a playbook. To this day Jimmy Johns is the dumbest person I have ever met. I see the good that could come of this. It could fix a lot of problems the recent stack of litigation has created for us. Making them employees and getting CBA would fix nearly everything.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
11 am ABC, FOX/NBC (shared content). Toyota RAV4 Alabama Crimson Tide pods @ Ford F150 Michigan Wolverine work boots.
11 am CBS, Univision/X (formerly Twitter) (shared content)) Amazon Prime Colorado Buffalo Rock vs (neutral site-Yellowwood Coors field Alamo Dome) Kellogg Auburn Tony Tiger Eagle brand potato chips.
I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It`s like the game devolving into semi-pro or a football equivalent of AAA minors with universities serving as " sponsors " of sorts. The players would be essentially removed from any sort of integration with the rest of the student body.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It`s like the game devolving into semi-pro or a football equivalent of AAA minors with universities serving as " sponsors " of sorts. The players would be essentially removed from any sort of integration with the rest of the student body.
There are some exceptions, but many players don’t have regular class as we remember it. Lots of online and correspondence courses.

Latest threads