Price of Gas II

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If you have a problem with it then take it up with the person who brought up the topic, please.
The topic was price of gas in 1979. Sorry if my comment comparing the guy who set up Habitat and compared him to Joe Biden was a trigger, not my intention. Honestly didn’t think anyone would argue for Joe in that Comp.

So, gas was high in 1979, huh?

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
These options are more available to single people or people without kids. They aren't feasible for couples with kids, especially more than one kid. Also, not every city or town is set up for these options to work either. It sounds good in theory, but in application, it isn't feasible for a lot of the population.
You live the life you design for yourself. By that, I mean we all move to locations that work for the lifestyle we want to live in someway or another. No, not everyone can choose exactly where they live, but most people can chose to live in a city or suburb or town and where in those they want to live. We're not told where we can live in this country yet. And even when one person has a job in the middle of nowhere, there are still more options for transportation that most people are willing to try.

This includes what you are willing to put up with politically. The Netherlands and other European countries have shown us what happens then the population gets tired of car culture and the effects on city design, injuries, pollution etc.

I get that cars are "easier", but you work for days a month just to pay for that car. How much more time could you literally buy for yourself if you chose to live closer to work/where you go most often?

Reactions: Bama75&80

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
You live the life you design for yourself. By that, I mean we all move to locations that work for the lifestyle we want to live in someway or another. No, not everyone can choose exactly where they live, but most people can chose to live in a city or suburb or town and where in those they want to live. We're not told where we can live in this country yet. And even when one person has a job in the middle of nowhere, there are still more options for transportation that most people are willing to try.

This includes what you are willing to put up with politically. The Netherlands and other European countries have shown us what happens then the population gets tired of car culture and the effects on city design, injuries, pollution etc.

I get that cars are "easier", but you work for days a month just to pay for that car. How much more time could you literally buy for yourself if you chose to live closer to work/where you go most often?
It makes zero feasible sense for me to uproot my family and move away from my parents and my kids from their grandparents just so we can help lower the price of gas. You also cannot pick from options that aren't available to you. You're painting a picture of life that for most people simply isn't that easy.

Reactions: AWRTR

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Euro cities are generally far older and therefore built to be more accessible without autos.

And both spouses work in most modern families - since our cities have largely grown with the invention of the automobile, it's highly unlikely most families could choose to live in an area that met all their needs while also being easily accessible for both jobs.

I just like to point out that comparing relatively modern US metro areas to long-established European cities is often comparing apples to oranges. Whether we're talking railways or autos, our cities were fundamentally designed quite differently due to when they were laid out and how that influenced their societal growth.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Euro cities are generally far older and therefore built to be more accessible without autos.

And both spouses work in most modern families - since our cities have largely grown with the invention of the automobile, it's highly unlikely most families could choose to live in an area that met all their needs while also being easily accessible for both jobs.

I just like to point out that comparing relatively modern US metro areas to long-established European cities is often comparing apples to oranges. Whether we're talking railways or autos, our cities were fundamentally designed quite differently due to when they were laid out and how that influenced their societal growth.
"It’s estimated that about 50 percent of car trips in urban areas are three miles or less in length, making them a possible candidate for replacement with other modes."

If you look at our population density vs. Europe, it's not really different. Most of our people live on the coasts and in a few cities in between. I know this is an Alabama site, but still most people live in the cities and near towns.

What is different is our political will to design our cities for people instead of cars, and our will to make trips on something besides cars. The Netherlands were overrun with cars in cities in the 1970s, and they decided as a country to redesign their cities for people walking and biking. Sure, their cities were old, but they had already redesigned their cities for cars.

I live in a two worker/multi generation household, and we moved into a house so my wife could walk to work. I commute to work, once a month (I know I'm lucky there, but it's a looong way away). I chose my job that could be mostly remote, again I'm lucky there.

In the past, used to ride between 10 and 21 miles each way to work on my bike, even when I had a spouse and kid. My spouse also rode a regional bus 40 minutes to another city, but she could work on the bus and it was productive time.

I hear over and over, "we are different" or "we have different cities" or "we don't have public transit", but these are all excuses for our lack of political will and personal effort to travel in something besides cars. I get it. Sometimes the weather is bad, or I'm tired, or I need to get somewhere quickly, or I don't want to get sweaty, or I'm going somewhere with the family, so we take the car.

Nobody is arguing for no cars, or everyone has to ride their bike everyday, all of the time. But having a safe and conflict free area to use some other kind of transportation would be transformative for the USA. Excusing "the greatest nation on Earth" from having more than one type of functioning transportation system seems backwards to me.

Reactions: 92tide and Go Bama

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we are down to 1 car as a family and are going to try to keep it that way for as long as we can. we live a little over a mile from a marta station and my wife and i both work (hybrid) next to marta stations which makes it easier. our limiting factor is that our daughter's school is only accessible via car, but thankfully isn't too far out of the way so we are able to piece together a car/marta/run/walk hybrid to make it work while cutting the amount we drive in half. this fall i am going to start biking to work 1-2 days per week which will take a little bit of complexity out of our logistics puzzle while giving me some extra bike time.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Looks the sardine can went from the street to the sidewalks. I'm not sure I want to be walking that close in a crowd. At least in a vehicle I don't have to be that close to the person. LOL!

View attachment 43225
When my wife and I went to Nanchang, China, she sent me to Wal Mart to pick up a few items. The sidewalks there are super wide and there are a lot of people on them, similar to the picture. It never felt crowded though.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Looks the sardine can went from the street to the sidewalks. I'm not sure I want to be walking that close in a crowd. At least in a vehicle I don't have to be that close to the person. LOL!

View attachment 43225
I can't speak for why that sidewalk looks crowded, except that I'm sure there are 3 to 5 times more people in the right picture than on the left and probably no one will get mowed down by a rogue car driver in the right picture, unlike the left.

Reactions: 92tide and Go Bama

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I can't speak for why that sidewalk looks crowded, except that I'm sure there are 3 to 5 times more people in the right picture than on the left and probably no one will get mowed down by a rogue car driver in the right picture, unlike the left.
There's certainly no question which picture is more environmentally friendly. The "wow" for me was the traffic is so much less.

Reactions: mdb-tpet

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Is it common for people to get mowed down by rogue cars where you live?
Relatively, yes for rogue drivers. There were 220+ reported car into pedestrian crashes (2 out of a thousand residents) in a recent year and almost 10 deaths that year. I live in a somewhat touristy area, so the car crashes are a bit over represented.

Last week, right after a local bike ride, a driver turned left in an intersection without looking to see if the road was clear, and drove right through a bike rider going straight and broke the riders leg.

Lots of rogue drivers everywhere it seems.

Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
The sidewalk reminds me of Gatlinburg in high season, when you frequently have to step into the street to get around someone or something...
If the sidewalks were truly considered part of the transportation system, the DOT would be expanding the sidewalk to allow for more free flowing foot traffic and shrinking/removing car lanes and/or parking spaces. But we all know what the DOT really thinks TRAFFIC is.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The sidewalk reminds me of Gatlinburg in high season, when you frequently have to step into the street to get around someone or something...
Ironic that you would say this. My dental assistant went to Gatlinburg this past weekend for the first time. She loved it but complained about the sidewalks being crowded and having to step into the street at times to keep moving forward.

Reactions: mdb-tpet

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ironic that you would say this. My dental assistant went to Gatlinburg this past weekend for the first time. She loved it but complained about the sidewalks being crowded and having to step into the street at times to keep moving forward.
IIRC, the Amsterdam pic is of the main street feeding into the main square, Dam Platz. Although that looks crowded, when it empties out into the Dam Platz, it's so cavernous, that that many people are just lost in its emptiness. I got caught in Dam Platz once in its rare as hen's teeth thunderstorms. Very impressive. It was the time that my wife booked us into a hotel converted from a barge, so we were floating in the harbor in a tin can and it was 85F, late in May. We spent most of the time in the hotel on our little walkway/patio, where we were a tourist spectacle, waving at the passing boats, taking pix of us...

Reactions: Go Bama

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Road trips are not going to break the bank this Fourth of July.

GasBuddy projects the national average price for regular gas will stand at $3.49 a gallon on Independence Day.

That’s a penny shy of the price a year ago and down sharply from $4.79 two years ago when oil prices spiked after Russia invaded Ukraine.

Adjusted for inflation, US gas prices are almost exactly where they were in July 2018, according to federal data.

Drivers in some parts of the country will spend much less on gas than last Fourth of July.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.