So glad we didn't end up with Norvell as our HC

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Only if he leaves. if they fire him it's currently ~$63 million (iirc, 80% of the remaining contract).
He could go 0-12 and they probably don’t fire him. Everyone assumes that everyone acts like they think Auburn acts but forgets Auburn was stuck with having to living with Gus’s mediocrity for a couple of years because he got a massive contract after beating us in 2017.

FSU’s problem is mostly stemmed around that they bought a team that has zero chemistry. Last year it worked but this year it hasn’t. It’s the danger of going this route, and why very few teams even in the NFL try it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Saying Norvell was not a serious candidate is disingenuous. Byrne himself said he had conversations, plural, with Norvell

We later learned that Nick Saban leaned toward DeBoer, saying recently he believed CKD was one of the great young football minds in the sport. I don’t know if that was a deciding factor as we also learned that Greg Byrne had been following CKD’s career for awhile. However, if Coach DeBoer decided to stay in Seattle, we might very well be looking at Coach Norvell as our coach. Yes, we dodged that bullet!
Yeah, I remember Byrne saying there were 2 coaches he had talked to. Norvell was the other.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
FSU’s problem is mostly stemmed around that they bought a team that has zero chemistry. Last year it worked but this year it hasn’t. It’s the danger of going this route, and why very few teams even in the NFL try it.
I recently heard a college football expert say if you spend 20 million on the wrong players, you are " short on luck" or something like that.

Reactions: REBELZED and dtgreg

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I recently heard a college football expert say if you spend 20 million on the wrong players, you are " short on luck" or something like that.
The Yankees spend an insane amount of money on a roster but in the last 10 years haven’t reached a WS yet the Royals have reached two in that time period. The point is growing talent around a culture is far more successful than constantly spending crazy money on front line talent. Yes you have to do it but you can’t just buy a starting roster and expect to win

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
I can't blame Roydell who was being challenged by Jam and Justice, but Earl Little we could have really used
Sorry, I didn’t see this before making a similar comment. As for Little it looks like he’s playing behind lesser talent than he was complaining about playing behind at Alabama. Probably could have started for us this year.

Reactions: cbi1972

Easttexastide

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 10, 2023
I hope he was never a serious candidate grab some transfers pay them and see what happens. Great hire considering Deboer had the same NIL philosophy as Saban. I think it hasn't been said enough Deboer Courtney Morgan's system of dealing with recruiting/roster and NIL is exactly what we needed.

arthurdawg

Sep 11, 2024
He could go 0-12 and they probably don’t fire him. Everyone assumes that everyone acts like they think Auburn acts but forgets Auburn was stuck with having to living with Gus’s mediocrity for a couple of years because he got a massive contract after beating us in 2017.

Zero chemistry and some of their portal players aren't the best. I love some Roydell, but he was a below average player for us and I don't feel like he is a back you can build your offense on. He's more a very good backup.

Even bigger is that DJ is simply not a good quarterback. Saw him play live against Wake Forest (daughter is at Demon Deac land) and he just has no skills whatsoever. Big, fast, impressive athlete. But no QB skills.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads