Thoughts on the Heisman Race....

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
For those worried about sunshine....

Trevor Lawrence: 198 for 286 (69.2%) for 2,753 yards 9.62 YPA for 22 TD's and 4 INT's w/ a 172.67 QBR

Mac Jones: 250 for 327 (76.5%) for 3,739 yards 11.4 YPA for 32 TD's and 4 INt's w/ a 202.34 QBR

Mac Jones absolutely SMOKES Lawrence in every single category.

Trask is DONE.

It's Mac or Smitty and that's it.

Last edited:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I fear that Lawrence will get it as a career achievement award. Bama having 3 legitimate candidates doesn’t help their individual cases, purely from a voting perspective.

I’m not saying that I *think* Lawrence *should* win it... I’m just afraid that I think that’s what is going to happen.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Just curious to hear all of your opinions about the ongoing Heisman race. Truthfully, like many of you, I would much rather win another title than have another Heisman winner. But, what Mac Jones has done this year for Bama is nothing short of extraordinary. Proved many doubters wrong during his time at the Capstone. It appears that whoever wins the SEC championship game (Mac vs. Trask), will win the trophy now that Lawrence and Fields have obviously slipped as of recently.
RollMo, If you ever see this post, can you update the Thread Title to "Heisman Race between Smith and Jones?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Fear that Lawrence will get it as a career achievement award. Bama having 3 legitimate candidates doesn’t help their individual cases, purely from a voting perspective.

I’m not saying that I *think* Lawrence *should* win it... I’m just afraid that I think that’s what is going to happen.
I think at this point, we need to stop pushing that Lawrence/ spiltting vote narrative because what we're doing is putting it out there and putting idea in folk's head.

The way I see it... Lawrence and Trask are extremely long shot to win and isn't likely to garner 1st place vote to command leads.

Look at last year. Jalen finished second, but only had 12 votes. 2019 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

2018 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com) Tua could've won had he performed better in SEC Championship. Didnt have enough votes to make it close.

2017 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com) Love didn't have enough vote to catch Mayfield.

And so forth on... The track record of voting isn't likely to be deviated from past.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
For those worried about sunshine....

Trevor Lawrence: 198 for 286 (69.2%) for 2,753 yards 9.62 YPA for 22 TD's and 4 INT's w/ a 172.67 QBR

Mac Jones: 250 for 327 (76.5%) for 3,739 yards 11.4 YPA for 32 TD's and 4 INt's w/ a 202.34 QBR

Mac Jones absolutely SMOKES Lawrence in every single category.

Trask is DONE.

It's Mac or Smitty and that's it.

I agree, but I still have this feeling that the voters will vote Trevor because he has been hyped all year by the "experts" and the voters sometimes don't look at stats. It is very subjective to some people. Plus, add in the Bama fatigue/hate for many voters... I hope a Bama players wins it though, as it should be. It will be the first time in awhile a Heisman winner is not the number 1 draft pick if that happens.

It will be interesting to see who the "experts" on the sports tv/radio hype up over the next 2 days. Aren't votes due by tomorrow night? Mac's stats are much better than Trevor's. I cannot believe the way Dabo hyped up Trevor after their game yesterday and said he should win.

By the way, aren't there around 800 Heisman voters? I am about to Google that. I wonder if there is a list of who the actual voters are other than past Heisman winners.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I have some new found respect for Tebow after watching SEC Final. Instead of just voting for Trask just because they both went to Florida, he is actually going to vote for the player he thinks is best. Other voters should take notes.
A very large number of people could take notes from Tebow on a very large number of subjects...

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
I have some new found respect for Tebow after watching SEC Final. Instead of just voting for Trask just because they both went to Florida, he is actually going to vote for the player he thinks is best. Other voters should take notes.
That’s the way it should be every year unfortunately, that’s not how the system works with some voters.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I think at this point, we need to stop pushing that Lawrence/ spiltting vote narrative because what we're doing is putting it out there and putting idea in folk's head.
I heard Finebaum shilling for Lawrence on TV this morning. I have no idea if he has a vote. Some of you probably know that answer. I hope I’m wrong in my prediction. My point is that I fear this may be a common sentiment.

...and which Heisman voters do you think are reading Tidefans forums??

• Haha
Reactions: UAllday

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I hate the boys won’t get the true NYC Heisman experience. Since it’s virtual, it won’t take away two days of prep time for them either
Yeah that's actually an upside. There's some indications that winning the Heisman can disrupt preparation for the post season so I'm really good with the idea of it being virtual.

While I do believe the Alabama fanbase in general can push a narrative, I don't think Tidefans in and of itself is going to sink a Heisman campaign. It seems like an Alabama player should win, but the mere fact that we're not sure who speaks to the curious nature of this campaign. I would also add that Alabama has never won in a landslide in the past, but they have lost close races, so we're already hoping voters do something they've never done before. Also, fortunately there's Trask and Lawrence so all it really takes is for one or the other to be left off some ballots to "split" the protest vote so to speak.

Even Henry did not get a majority of first place votes. He got 378 first place votes, and other players got 517. Ingram was much closer, he barely got a plurality of first place votes. So, we're looking at the first time in the history of Heisman voting that voters actually come out heavily for the Alabama player.

In addition to that, the only time (since 1945) I really find evidence that a majority of voters have ever put two players form one school on a ballot is 2004. I'm not really sure if the ballots were split regionally (two USC players on some ballots, two Oklahoma players on others) or if it was just pick a USC player, pick a Oklahoma player, and then there's the Utah player. But, with Oklahoma finishing second and third we know how that went.

Every other year I've looked at made it seem like either only one region was listing two players from one school, or voters as a whole were choosing one or the other. Even going back to 1973, when Ohio State had 3 in the top 6, it's clear they weren't on most ballots. Those three Ohio State players combined for about as many points as the winner.

So, yeah I remain intensely curious and cautiously optimistic about this. If Smith and Mac finish in the top 3 it will be the first time in the history of the Heisman that a QB and WR from the same team did that. If Alabama gets a majority of first place votes, it will be the first time in the history of the Heisman Alabama has done that. If an Alabama quarterback or WR wins, it will be the first time in history that has happened. So yeah, I'm really, really curious as to how these guys actually fill out these ballots.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I heard Finebaum shilling for Lawrence on TV this morning. I have no idea if he has a vote. Some of you probably know that answer. I hope I’m wrong in my prediction. My point is that I fear this may be a common sentiment.

...and which Heisman voters do you think are reading Tidefans forums??
Paul Finebaum is a professional hooker who will say anything to get a response that makes him more money.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I fear that Lawrence will get it as a career achievement award. Bama having 3 legitimate candidates doesn’t help their individual cases, purely from a voting perspective.

Nope..... not when there is such a HUGE gap between his play and Mac's.

In 2013 AJ was getting some of that career achievement attention which helped him finish 2nd....

But Winston won on the cold hard black and white stats because the separation was pretty big. It was only as close as it was because of Winston's off the field issues or his margin of victory would have been greater.

Mac's stats just absolutely nukes Trevor's..... there isn't a single category where sunshine has an edge....none.

Smitty is the only person who might could win it if Mac doesn't.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How would you like to be an Auburn fan right now?
a) you're looking at the prospect of your arch rival winning ANOTHER national title (the FIFTH since that glorious day you finally won one on the field and had to admit national titles actually do exist)

b) your coaching search resembles Marshall University after the plane crash

c) the ONE THING you've been able to boast about over Alabama for nearly a half century is, "We have more Heisman winners than you do!".....is probably about to flush right down the toilet.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads