USCe vs LSU penalty

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Some of you are missing the point. Why do it? Don't let the ref make the call, whether right or wrong. What was Nuss gonna do, tackle the guy on the return? I doubt it. He saw a chance to take a cheap shot on the QB and took it. You forced the ref to make a decision and it went against you. I wouldn't have called it but some do. Just a dumb play.
I get it, but if a player is running towards the ball carrier, he's a target. It's not a cheap shot, it's football. If they want to 'protect' the QB, tell them not to pursue the ball carrier.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Because the same "rules" don't apply to QBs anymore.

After the INT he technically is a "defender" but now the refs are taught to "protect" them.

Can't tackle a QB anymore when they are on offense either.

It's is shame what has become of the game. I'm all for safety, but it's not a safe sport and if you strap it up it should still be tackle football, even if you play QB.
Its also why that Pitt QB a few years ago faked a slide. All the defenders gave up on the play and he took off for a TD. Refs should have ruled him down where he started to fake slide.

That Autry crew though.....every time I see him on TV now I know the end of whatever game his crew is doing is going to turn into an absolute fiasco. They insert themselves, especially at the end of games to the point they should be investigated.

I hate that I even know his name. Only two refs I remember the names of....Penn Wagers and Jason Autry.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Used to they would list the name of the official in the box score. I guess they don't do that anymore... 🤔

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I get it, but if a player is running towards the ball carrier, he's a target. It's not a cheap shot, it's football. If they want to 'protect' the QB, tell them not to pursue the ball carrier.
Yep, if the quarterback is pursuing the ball carrier and interjecting himself into the play, he should be able to be hit just like any other player on the field. If not, then the QB needs to give himself up and retreat from the play.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
It was a blind-side block in which forcible contact is not allowed regardless of what position the player being blocked plays. The blocker just needs to screen the player or contact with arms extended; it is legal and accomplishes the task of keeping the potential tackler out of the play. This rule has been in effect for a while.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
It was a blind-side block in which forcible contact is not allowed regardless of what position the player being blocked plays. The blocker just needs to screen the player; it is legal and accomplishes the task of keeping the potential tackler out of the play. This rule has been in effect for a while.
Yeah, and as soon as the defensive guy did it he realized that he had messed up.

Reactions: day-day

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
Its also why that Pitt QB a few years ago faked a slide. All the defenders gave up on the play and he took off for a TD. Refs should have ruled him down where he started to fake slide.

That Autry crew though.....every time I see him on TV now I know the end of whatever game his crew is doing is going to turn into an absolute fiasco. They insert themselves, especially at the end of games to the point they should be investigated.

I hate that I even know his name. Only two refs I remember the names of....Penn Wagers and Jason Autry.

The "TV Teddy" of the SEC.......

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here are three stills.
I know, stills can lie.
vlcsnap-2024-09-16-15h26m06s425.jpg
vlcsnap-2024-09-16-15h26m19s100.jpg
vlcsnap-2024-09-16-15h26m35s034.jpg
Maybe someone can define a blindside block, but if you are looking left and running right, you might be making yourself vulnerable.
Kennard was obviously in front of Nuss and placed his hands on the front of Nuss's shoulder pads.

• Emphasis!
Reactions: BamaInCummingGA

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
The way he laid there, he was selling and the refs bought it, I would bett the refs didn't see the play just him laying there

This ref squad that did this past week's LSU vs SC game (officially known as the goober squad) was the same group that did the Alabama vs Tennessee game in 2022. They had numerous blown interference calls and non call on the blatant targeting of Bryce Young. Coach Saban had a problem with this group. They are the worst. They should be removed.

Reactions: FF4bama

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads