Week 4 Bye @ Alabama (Week of discussion)

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
My best guess is that it is related to "bye week" which is what the NFL called gameless weeks for teams when the NFL scheduled expanded to 17 weeks for 16 games in 1990. I believe bye weeks have existed in the NFL ever since that time. The bye week first showed up in the NFL in 1960 when the league had an odd number of teams due to expansion. Each week during the season, each team would have a bye week, even if it happened the first and last week of the season. This happened again in 1966 and 1967 when the Dolphins were added.

I assume that as a result of the NFL's broader popularity, the term bled over into college football. Prior to that, I believe they were called "open dates".

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
When did an off-week start being referred to as a bye? For most of my life, a "bye" has meant an automatic transfer of a team to the next round of a tournament without having to play and win the game. The perfect example is the first-round bye in this year's 12-team playoff. If you are in the top 4, you get a bye, and you automatically go on to the second round. This is a huge advantage since that team would only have to play 3 games to win it all vs. teams who must play a game in the first round, thus needing to play 4 games to win the tournament. But this week for Bama is an off week. It's not a bye. We don't advance to the next round of anything. We get a well-deserved rest, but that's all.
Literally decades?

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
By that logic, wouldn't "bye" be easier since USF gave us a hell of a game on our "off week"?

DNP Week

Game vacation week

No game week

Why does it matter? We don't play this week, therefore we have a "bye week"......we didn't play well vs USF, therefore we had an "off week"

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
Two things I am looking for on offense or expecting to see is the RB’s and TE’s more incorporated into the passing game against the Dawgs.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads