Welcome to the NIL

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
Today we saw our team play uninspired, lazy on defense , no fire and lackluster to say the least.
I think calling the defensive display I saw only "lazy" and "uninspired" is giving it a lot more credit than it deserves. It looked more to me like 11 chickens running around after their heads had been removed.

For the last 6 and a half quarters, there has been no pass rush, lousy tackling, and opposition receivers running mostly uncontested wherever they pleased. A lot of that is on coaching and the ability to adjust. That apparently does not exist with this staff. Ialso agree with the OP here. NIL and open transfers to the highest bidder are (have?) destroying college football. The staff/administration can't fix the NIL, but it can do something about the other.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I heard former Alabama Basketball Coach Wimp Sanderson on the radio this week say pretty much “If NIL and the portal existed when he coached, he would not have had a team to put on the court. They would have all left. I coached them hard”.

But he also said that players like Robert Horry, James “Hollywood” Robinson, Gary Waites, and Terry Coner have called him up and thank him for coaching them so hard. Robinson told Wimp “he was undisciplined and only want to shoot. You made me play defensive and sat me down when I didn’t. I’m glad you did because my defense kept me in the NBA, not my offense..”

Finally Wimp went on to say “We went down to Auburn and got beat bad. We were on the bus ride home and I heard someone giggling in the back of bus. When we got back to Tuscaloosa, I had them change their clothes and we practiced”.

THAT is a message you can’t send today. Today, they just pout and jump in the portal.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
As an older poster who grew up in the 1970's, players were given scholarlships to play collegiate football.

There was a day when athletic scholarships meant something.

There was a day when athletic scholarships were a way to reach your dreams and wildest aspirations in your chosen vocation.

Now? What do athletic scholarships really mean?

The scholarships I am emphasizing are Football scholarships.

Sure, in the 70's and 80's, etc., money was taken under the table by players and facilitated by boosters, but for the majority of athletes there was pride in graduating after 4 years and getting that diploma. Having a plan B if your NFL dreams were to die.

Welcome to COLLEGE NIL.

The NIL is nothing but minor league football. Amateur Athletes positioning themselves at selected colleges for the most money and highest NFL draft position.

Most players (NOT ALL, but a vast majority) will only be loyal to the highest bidder and team chemistry will be destroyed when each player is eyeing another team for a more lucrative situation on a day to day basis.

Today we saw our team play uninspired, lazy on defense , no fire and lackluster to say the least. When you are a college age millionaire, what is the motivation? What is the motivation when you already are set for life financially?

Where is the fight AGAINST ADVERSITY when you don't have to accept ADVERSITY anymore? Where is the fight when you are financially secure and are looking to make even more money playing for another college team next year? How can you have team chemistry when you are only fighting for yourself?

There is NO MORE fire in the belly!

This culture and collegiate football has lost it's way.
I completely agree. The game has changed and not for the good.

Reactions: 22Musso22

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I wonder if deBoer can set aside the Mr Nice Guy routine this week.
DeBoer needs to stay true to himself and do what he's done for his entire career. It's worked pretty well for him so far. Trying to be someone else will not work in the long run. Either he's a fit for Bama (and I think he can be, BTW) or he isn't. That will be evident by the end of the season - or maybe next season - but not after only 5 games. Time for a little patience, Bamafans.

Reactions: Con

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Did the Alabama defense look liked they cared or were they more worried about cashing their checks this week?

My fear is that the definition of team has become obsolete.
I thought our players on defense simply looked lost, when you're not naturally reacting to a play, usually means you're chasing that play from behind & that was allllll game long against Vandy..

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

spidermayin

1st Team
Dec 4, 2018
I wasn't able to watch the game, but looking at the highlights, I didn't see a lack of effort from the defense. I just vandy executing some really good play calls. With that said though, we should have had a few stops with the amount of 4 and 5 star athletes we had on the field versus what they had. Vandy just had the perfect storm of everything that they called seemed to work and our offense made a couple of really big mistakes.

Get used to these type of upsets though. I am sure there will be several more next week and the week after that. I just hope this game was a huge wake up call.

Reactions: 22Musso22

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads