News Article: CFP officials discuss expanding to 14-team playoff in 2026

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Again, this is what "fair" looks like. So everyone (in general) who has been screaming from the rooftops "It's not fair", I hope loves what "fair" ends up looking like. And I'm talking about the NIL, transfer portal, ever-expanding playoffs, etc. The entire ball of wax. I hope everyone loves their "fair".

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
It's getting as ridiculous as professional sports where teams play an entire regular season just to determine who has home field advantage in the playoff. That's all teams like Ohio State, Georgia, Bama and few more would be playing the regular season for.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
The slippery slope will never end. 12 will be 14, 14 will be 16......it won't stop until maybe the point of diminishing returns is reached.

They'll lose older fans, but they'll gain the younger generations with the diluted product on the field.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I think they should just go ahead with a 16 team playoff and ditch the committee for the BCS formula.

POTY! 😎

Very few argued with how the BCS formula worked and I have always suspected that the committee (behind the scenes) used it anyways... :unsure:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I would actually prefer that only the top 2 teams get a bye, and 14 teams is a way to do that. Fewer byes mean that every game will matter again for those teams at the top.
Yeah, then the argument will be the 3rd and 4th teams spouting off that they deserved to be the 2 seed....:rolleyes:

Reactions: Tidelines

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Perhaps more than ever it's time for the top 40 or so teams to create their own league and regulate eligibility for the post season in the manner that the NFL does it, where everything is determined down to the most minute mathematical details.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
I always felt like 12 wasn't going to be enough because of the super conferences, but is two more spots really going to be helpful? We should just go ahead and move to 16 or 24, and then close the book on further playoff expansion.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I support davefrat's view about creating a separate division. I would place the top 60 FCS teams in a new division and the remaining 70+ teams in its own division. I would also tell the CFPC to get lost.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.