BREAKING Clemson files suit against the ACC for "exorbitant exit fees"

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

Clemson asks in the suit for a declaration that the ACC would not own the rights to Clemson's games "after Clemson ceases to be a member of the ACC." Clemson also wants the ACC exit fee -- three times the ACC operating budget, an estimated $140 million -- ruled as "an unenforceable penalty in violation of public policy." (The total cost of the exit with the rights and the fee was cast as $572 million in Florida State's lawsuit.)
Planning their exit strategy, I guess?

SEC is the obvious destination. Any other wouldn't be worth the effort.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Planning their exit strategy, I guess?

SEC is the obvious destination. Any other wouldn't be worth the effort.
Does the SEC even want them? Seems like the SEC doesn't gain anything by adding them other than getting another team.

• Emphasis!
Reactions: The Ols and CB4

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
So, is Contract Law not a thing anymore? If you sign a contract, you can just say "I changed my mind"? Then they let you out (if you're rich and connected)?

What are we doing here? Why do I have to pay my bills?
clempson treated like the terms and agreement for a phone app.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
So, is Contract Law not a thing anymore? If you sign a contract, you can just say "I changed my mind"? Then they let you out (if you're rich and connected)?

Normally, when you sign a contract you get a copy of it... :cool:

Reactions: dtgreg

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

They will get out of it. That's what happens nowadays. There will be some sort of settlement and the ACC will lose Florida State, Clemson, Miami, North Carolina, and perhaps NC State, Duke, Virginia, and Virginia Tech. Then the ACC will raid the American Conference.

I'm still watching with mild, but lessening by the day, interest on what Notre Dame does with itself after the ACC implodes.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
They will get out of it. That's what happens nowadays. There will be some sort of settlement and the ACC will lose Florida State, Clemson, Miami, North Carolina, and perhaps NC State, Duke, Virginia, and Virginia Tech. Then the ACC will raid the American Conference.

I'm still watching with mild, but lessening by the day, interest on what Notre Dame does with itself after the ACC implodes.
IMHO, its inevitable that ND goes to the Big Ten... :cool:

I could see the Big Ten offering a share and a half to entice them. :unsure:

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023

It's the rich and connected thing.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
Normally, when you sign a contract you get a copy of it... :cool:
Of course, your comment reeks of proper sarcasm. My personal lawyer has a copy of every contract I sign, my business lawyer has a copy of our business contracts. Yeah it was a bad deal but you signed it. If you were not coerced or lied to, what is your argument?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Of course, your comment reeks of proper sarcasm. My personal lawyer has a copy of every contract I sign, my business lawyer has a copy of our business contracts. Yeah it was a bad deal but you signed it. If you were not coerced or lied to, what is your argument?
Totally agree!

I believe that if this goes much further, that a copy will be (or has been) subpeoned by the attorneys. Now that I think of it, that may be the impetus for the lawsuit.

It can always (and probably will) be dropped prior to going to court... :cool:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Does the SEC even want them? Seems like the SEC doesn't gain anything by adding them other than getting another team.
That’s a valid point. FSU nor Clemson isn’t going to add much of anything to the current SEC footprint. And certainly South Carolina and Florida don’t want them added.

The only reason would be to prevent the Big 10 from expanding its footprint into Florida by adding FSU.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
It's getting ugly in the ACC...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
It's getting ugly in the ACC...

Yea, this not gonna end well. Bush league does Bush league things.

Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
Yesterday the "Change of Venue" part of the trial was held in NC for FSU. The ruling will be before April 9, 2024. ESPN was present because they say that if the GOR is made public it will give away "trade secrets" for the Network.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023
Where the land meets the sky
Will UNC be the next to File?

"I think that what Clemson is doing is 100 percent proof positive that a significant portion of the membership of the conference is unhappy,” UNC Board of Trustees chair John Preyer told Inside Carolina on Wednesday. “I don't see how it is in anyone's interest for the ACC leadership to try and browbeat its member schools from getting access to information and being transparent. And that's kind of the case Clemson is making. - Article

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
From the article regarding the grant of rights:

“Schools signed this in 2013 as a reaction to the departure of Maryland to the Big Ten, under the rationale that the grant of rights acts as an insurance policy that would prevent anyone from leaving the league during the duration of the agreement…”

They agreed to the arrangement specifically to prevent members (including themselves) from doing exactly what they are trying to do.

Cry me a river.

Maybe the ACC should agree to accommodate them by offering to accept double the exit fee to let them leave.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.