BREAKING Clemson files suit against the ACC for "exorbitant exit fees"

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Yesterday the "Change of Venue" part of the trial was held in NC for FSU. The ruling will be before April 9, 2024. ESPN was present because they say that if the GOR is made public it will give away "trade secrets" for the Network.

Trade secrets?!?🙄🤔

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Here is an interesting snippet from the article: " The ACC's new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they will be contracted to join the ACC. "

So ND signed this contract? So if they were to join a conference in football, they would be obligated to join the ACC?

Hmmmm... :unsure:

I still don't see the "secrets of the trade" aspect to this thing. I get that the contract helps to keep value to the ESPN-ACC contract, but if members of the ACC bolted, I would think that would trigger a clause in the tv contract to re-assess the value of the deal.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Here is an interesting snippet from the article: " The ACC's new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they will be contracted to join the ACC. "

So ND signed this contract? So if they were to join a conference in football, they would be obligated to join the ACC?

Hmmmm... :unsure:

I still don't see the "secrets of the trade" aspect to this thing. I get that the contract helps to keep value to the ESPN-ACC contract, but if members of the ACC bolted, I would think that would trigger a clause in the tv contract to re-assess the value of the deal.
Maybe the Vatican can issue a Papal Bull to get them out of it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's all good fun until it isn't.

The ACC was panicking, rightfully so, when everything was breaking in the early 2010s. Maryland leaving was a huge blow, because they were a founding member and oh by the way, they thought they and the Big Ten were friends.

They, along with Notre Dame, signed this obscenely long deal because they really thought expansion Armageddon wouldn't actually happen. So they meant it but not really, because they didn't really believe it would have to be enforced.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
It's all good fun until it isn't.

The ACC was panicking, rightfully so, when everything was breaking in the early 2010s. Maryland leaving was a huge blow, because they were a founding member and oh by the way, they thought they and the Big Ten were friends.

They, along with Notre Dame, signed this obscenely long deal because they really thought expansion Armageddon wouldn't actually happen. So they meant it but not really, because they didn't really believe it would have to be enforced.
"I promise to love, honor and cherish you...now until the...well, it's complicated and someone better might come along later."

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
My favorite part is the Board of Trustees getting deeply involved in a truly non-academic issue of these schools. What a waste of resources in the end this will all be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.