Eli on the radio this morning teasing his new job.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Heard Eli on the radio this morning, WSNP 105.5 in Mobile. Apparently he has a new position that will be announced soon with an unnamed university.

His statement describing this situation I didn't really care for......

He said....he felt the warm and fuzzies because they wanted him and its been a long time since he's felt that feeling, being wanted and feeling those warm and fuzzies.

He's going to continue pushing this narrative that he was unfairly let go by Alabama and not wanted. He really could have handled this whole situation better, but his ego is just too big apparently.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Heard Eli on the radio this morning, WSNP 105.5 in Mobile. Apparently he has a new position that will be announced soon with an unnamed university.

His statement describing this situation I didn't really care for......

He said....he felt the warm and fuzzies because they wanted him and its been a long time since he's felt that feeling, being wanted and feeling those warm and fuzzies.

He's going to continue pushing this narrative that he was unfairly let go by Alabama and not wanted. He really could have handled this whole situation better, but his ego is just too big apparently.
There may be a reason he was fired years ago by NASCAR.

Reactions: SkullDuckery

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I had been wanting Eli to retire or otherwise move on for several years before his health got bad.

He was actually quite bad at his job.

As a radio announcer, your job is to keep the listeners apprised of:
- Each play as it happens
- The down and distance
- The field position
- The time on the clock
- The score
- Announcements of note (generally shared between announcer, color, & sideline)

Of those six things, over the past few years, the only ones he generally attempted were #1 and #6. He didn't do #6 very often and when he did #1 you couldn't usually tell what the outcome of the play actually was - he very often gave out incorrect information. I had Eli in my ear for almost every home game over the last several seasons - since they started the in-stadium audio thing - and it was astonishing, at times, how bad he was at his job.

He was exciting. His voice had become iconic. But he had gotten genuinely bad at his job...

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
He was exciting. His voice had become iconic. But he had gotten genuinely bad at his job...
As you age, the ability to process information quickly, formulate a cogent response, and actually get that response out slows dramatically. That inability to do that makes listeners uncomfortable, anxious even. It's one thing when you're sitting with Memaw listening to her reminisce about the old days, it's another thing when they're trying to keep you apprised of something happening every 20-40 seconds.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I had been wanting Eli to retire or otherwise move on for several years before his health got bad.

- The down and distance
- The field position
- The time on the clock
- The score

Of those six things, over the past few years, the only ones he generally attempted were #1 and #6. He didn't do #6 very often and when he did #1 you couldn't usually tell what the outcome of the play actually was - he very often gave out incorrect information. I had Eli in my ear for almost every home game over the last several seasons - since they started the in-stadium audio thing - and it was astonishing, at times, how bad he was at his job.

Imo he was always bad.

I listened to tons of games on the radio in the 90’s and 00’s and he was always terrible at conveying what was happening.

He 100% has ‘The Voice’ of a Pro but lacks the skills to accurately paint a picture of what’s happening.

He also stunk at calling an Iconic moment and letting it breath without walking all over it.

His call of 2nd and 26 is the absolute worst one you can listen to.

He’s so eager to rattle off his pre-planned speech about Bama climbing the CFB mountain that it has almost nothing to do with the Play that led to it.

He stinks and he always stunk.

Last edited:

RollTide-YNWA

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 27, 2009
Dothan

- The down and distance
- The field position
- The time on the clock
- The score

But you always knew the colors of the uniform pinstripes. The description of the uniforms pre-game always made me chuckle and seemed to be the most detailed information during the games.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
At this point, I don't really care.

Radio is obsolete to me. I haven't tuned in to Alabama radio in probably 20 years.
The radio broadcast is much better than listening to the network clowns on the tv. I enjoyed Eli's enthusiasm and crimson bias for many years while watching the broadcast. As much as I love Chris, just not really an enjoyable product to listen to anymore so most games I watch are muted with music in the background. My wife thinks I'm weird and, frankly, she is right.

• Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: Cruloc

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I saw it and as I recall (I could be wrong) that the negative comments were in reference to his public comments complaining about how he was treated.

Were people slamming him before he started airing his grievances in public?
I have been. I know I’ve made probably 3-4 posts in the past openly talking about Eli being Bad at play by play.

Selma’s made posts about it too I know.

Though to be fair to Selma I think he more or less said Eli was mediocre.

I’ve said he’s bad… because he’s bad.

Reactions: SkullDuckery

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Good grief @ the relentless bashing of Eli by the same people…over and over. The U of A done him wrong plain and simple. After 36 years he deserved better.

Before any grown man “moos” at me… Roll Tide 🐘
Not really but OK. I love Eli as much as anyone but he is doing this to himself. Win or lose with class, at least, that is what Nick says.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Good grief @ the relentless bashing of Eli by the same people…over and over. The U of A done him wrong plain and simple. After 36 years he deserved better.

Before any grown man “moos” at me… Roll Tide 🐘
Nah, Bama made the decision to move on and gave him a way to do it gracefully....the right way. He chose to not only say no to that, but then go on the record to let everyone know he had been done wrong.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.