Eli on the radio this morning teasing his new job.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I have been. I know I’ve made probably 3-4 posts in the past openly talking about Eli being Bad at play by play.

Selma’s made posts about it too I know.

Though to be fair to Selma I think he more or less said Eli was mediocre.

I’ve said he’s bad… because he’s bad.
I haven't listened to him in so long I couldn't even tell you.

Honestly, I never really understood what the big deal was with him one way or the other.

And it makes not one bit of difference whether he's around or not.

Reactions: UAH and CoolBreeze

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I wouldn't be shocked if JSu moved on from him in next two years.
OR he moved on from them...Eli's old and in bad health.

I just wish he would have the self-awareness to realize how much he is tarnishing an otherwise good reputation that he built off of being the voice of Bama football for so long.

The damage has been done and he's responsible. He might not have liked the decision, but he shouldn't have tried to burn down the house as he left. He showing older folks how NOT to do this.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Good grief @ the relentless bashing of Eli by the same people…over and over. The U of A done him wrong plain and simple. After 36 years he deserved better.

Before any grown man “moos” at me… Roll Tide 🐘
Please point out anything at all in my post that is untruthful...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

I just wish he would have the self-awareness to realize how much he is tarnishing an otherwise good reputation that he built off of being the voice of Bama football for so long.

The damage has been done and he's responsible. He might not have liked the decision, but he shouldn't have tried to burn down the house as he left. He showing older folks how NOT to do this.
And his behavior is exactly the type of behavior that encourages others to NOT give aging employees extra leash and/or the ability to bow out gracefully...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I saw it and as I recall (I could be wrong) that the negative comments were in reference to his public comments complaining about how he was treated.

Were people slamming him before he started airing his grievances in public?
It's gone in cycles.

For some years before the announcement, there were complaints about Eli keeping the audience informed on down and distance, the clock and position on the field.

Then right after the announcement that he wouldn't return for the 2024 season there was a wave of nostalgia, centered primarily on his outstanding voice and undeniable enthusiasm for the Crimson Tide.

Almost immediately, though, Eli got in front of every microphone that would have him and started throwing shade at the Alabama program, playing the wronged martyr. Whiny and unprofessional, he squandered the goodwill he had built up over the years.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
It's gone in cycles.

For some years before the announcement, there were complaints about Eli keeping the audience informed on down and distance, the clock and position on the field.

Then right after the announcement that he wouldn't return for the 2024 season there was a wave of nostalgia, centered primarily on his outstanding voice and undeniable enthusiasm for the Crimson Tide.

Almost immediately, though, Eli got in front of every microphone that would have him and started throwing shade at the Alabama program, playing the wronged martyr. Whiny and unprofessional, he squandered the goodwill he had built up over the years.
Thanks for the insight. The best part of Eli was his voice and enthusiasm for the Tide because, as you pointed out, down and distance, the clock and position on the field were clearly a problem for the listener of his broadcasts. Sometimes a sense of "what the heck just happened" was frustrating if you were only listening to the game. I still love the guy but he really needs to just move on.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Oh how the masses have turned on Eli.

Not sure how much gas he has left in the tank but that is between Eli and his "new" employer. I don't really get the blowback he has been getting. I think he has been refreshingly honest about getting fired and not wanting to leave. To me it was a "business" decision on both sides. We are so used to weasel speak that this situation was abnormal.
The blowback is because he was given the opportunity to be celebrated and instead turned it to woe is me victimhood. Hopefully the benefit to him is that he enjoys his time at Jax State baseball and Nashville arena football where he can "feel appreciated."

Last edited:

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I guess no one remembers that Eli used to do Basketball. He got so bad at it (maybe he was never that good but was probably serviceable when younger) that people complained loudly. They gave the job to Chris Stewart. I remember listening to basketball games when Eli was broadcasting and being nearly apoplectic because I couldn't tell the score, who had possession, who fouled, time remaining, anything.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Eli left bitter and Graceless.
He slung a lot of mud, and all of it was at Alabama.
NOW... It's too late for him to try to repair his reputation.
Now let me use a Coach Saban line...
'It is what It is'. OR...
another line that is not from Coach Saban...
'SO MOTE IT BE'

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I saw it and as I recall (I could be wrong) that the negative comments were in reference to his public comments complaining about how he was treated.

Were people slamming him before he started airing his grievances in public?
Just a few examples from this very board...

1709920148325.png

1709920189549.png

1709920207727.png

1709920224586.png

...as you can see - going back to at least 2018 - multiple people on this board have been complaining about Eli Gold's quality as an announcer.

In person, I've had an almost innumerable number of instances where I've mentioned not liking Eli Gold, someone responded with a statement of love for Eli, I mentioned his actual prowess as an announcer, and the response was along the line of, "Oh yeah, he's terrible but I still love him!"...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Just a few examples from this very board...

View attachment 41236

View attachment 41237

View attachment 41238

View attachment 41239

...as you can see - going back to at least 2018 - multiple people on this board have been complaining about Eli Gold's quality as an announcer.

In person, I've had an almost innumerable number of instances where I've mentioned not liking Eli Gold, someone responded with a statement of love for Eli, I mentioned his actual prowess as an announcer, and the response was along the line of, "Oh yeah, he's terrible but I still love him!"...
Criticism alone doesn't constitute slamming someone, it depends on whether the criticism is legitimate and how it's stated.

I don't see anything in your examples that I would consider slamming him.

Then again, maybe I have thicker skin than Eli and his supporters.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Good grief @ the relentless bashing of Eli by the same people…over and over. The U of A done him wrong plain and simple. After 36 years he deserved better.

Before any grown man “moos” at me… Roll Tide 🐘
As usual, I'm in the "two things can be true crowd". Was Eli bad at play by play, by modern standards? Yeah. Did he deserve a better send-off from the university? Absolutely, yes.

Reactions: Countrytider2

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.