Former SEC Ref Tom Ritter Umped Our Softball Game Last Night

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
Gallatin, Tennessee, United States
IMG_8439.jpeg
Thought this was pretty cool. I coach Middle School softball just outside Nashville. This guy was the home plate ump for us the last 2 nights. The first night I was like “This guy looks real familiar” but I couldn’t place him. Finally, last night I said “ I know you from somewhere”. He said “Probably from reffing football. I used to be a White Hat in the SEC.” Then I knew exactly who he was. I know he used to catch a lot of grief from us, but he is a really nice guy, and a very good umpire. Just some people you don’t expect to see in certain places.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Serious question....any idea why he's no longer working SEC football games?

Try to resist the temptation to say it's eye surgery, booted by the SEC office, gambling conviction, etc.

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
LSU fans hate that guy
Me, him and the field ump were talking between innings. He said “Go online and look, LSU and Auburn fans hate me.” I said “It’s okay, us Bama fans weren’t too fond of you, either.” He did say he called 7 Bama-LSU games, and it was 4-3. A friend of mine said he called some HS basketball games with him this season, and he has some great Saban stories.

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
My condolences…
He did a really good job, and took it seriously. Strike zone was a little low, but he was consistent with it, so I’m good with that. Actually communicated with the coaches. A lot of the umps we run into can be jerks, and are just out there for the paycheck. I doubt he needs the money, and he seemed to enjoy what he was doing.

Reactions: Con and Bazza

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
Serious question....any idea why he's no longer working SEC football games?

Try to resist the temptation to say it's eye surgery, booted by the SEC office, gambling conviction, etc.
He still works for the SEC, he’s just not on the field anymore. He’s in the booth now, and works as a supervisor/evaluator. I’m gonna try and talk to him more the next time I run into him. Just didn’t have much time during our game. Like I said, he’s a really nice guy, and very approachable and willing to talk.

Reactions: Con

Sensation77

Scout Team
Sep 18, 2006
@Sensation77 - thanks for sharing this story and a great photo but most of all for helping our young adults and providing a role model as they navigate their way to adulthood......that is just outstanding, in my book!
I appreciate that. This is my 6th season coaching our Middle School program. It's a volunteer position, since I don't teach, but I love the game and just want to give the girls a chance to be successful at the high school level. I started the program in 2019. An 8th grader from that team signed to play at Alabama A&M last year, and another that is a Senior this year is signed to Chatt State. It's great to see them achieve their goals. My daughter is an 8th grader this season, so if I don't follow her to the HS level, I'll probably keep helping the Middle School girls as much as I can.

• Heart
Reactions: Con and Bazza

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.