News Article: How it Went Down, CNS's Decision, Deboer's Hire

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I hope DeBoer is a long term coach at Alabama but the one thing nobody knows is whether he has any NFL aspirations. The often used description of him is "he wins everywhere he's been". Certainly if he wins a NC at Bama the NFL teams will come calling and we don't know if he'd want to prove he can also win at the NFL level, so having success here does not necessarily mean we will have him for a while. I know this is not a unique problem though since we'd be faced with that possibility with almost anyone Alabama would have hired. In the case of the Saban hiring though we got a coach who already had an NFL job and found it wasn't for him so there was always much less of a chance Saban would go back.
We just need to make sure Nicole really digs T-Town.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I like DeBoer much better than Sark. I think Kirby is now the best in the business, but I like DeBoer a lot. He may not work out, but I am hoping he can win big.
IMO, Smart is a good coach but overrated. At this point (we still don't know for sure about DeBoer, just because he is from another part of the college football universe and for only 2 years in the P5, though he beat 2 ranked teams, one of which was P5 at Fresno, also outgained and almost beat #11 Oregon, so the early returns are very promising), I would rather have DeBoer than Kirby or frankly, any other coach. With far less talent, he beat Sarkisian and Lanning each twice in the last 2 seasons, with a little less talent, he also beat Riley twice. IMO, Alabama came out smelling like a rose.

His manner is very understated, which I love, but he has a white-hot fire burning in his belly. Great fire and drive under great self-control are typically potent. My primary concern is that if he has a lot of success, how long will he stay at Alabama if the NFL calls? I always thought Saban would likely stay for multiple reasons, but not as much with DeBoer.

Reactions: teamplayer and Con

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
IMO, Smart is a good coach but overrated. At this point (we still don't know for sure about DeBoer, just because he is from another part of the college football universe and for only 2 years in the P5, though he beat 2 ranked teams, one of which was P5 at Fresno, also outgained and almost beat #11 Oregon, so the early returns are very promising), I would rather have DeBoer than Kirby or frankly, any other coach. With far less talent, he beat Sarkisian and Lanning each twice in the last 2 seasons, with a little less talent, he also beat Riley twice. IMO, Alabama came out smelling like a rose.

His manner is very understated, which I love, but he has a white-hot fire burning in his belly. Great fire and drive under great self-control are typically potent. My primary concern is that if he has a lot of success, how long will he stay at Alabama if the NFL calls? I always thought Saban would likely stay for multiple reasons, but not as much with DeBoer.
When people talk about how Smart took and improved on Saban's "Process" the biggest difference I can see from 30,000 feet is that Kirby simply removed discipline and accountability from the equation.

He presides over a program that is completely out of control compared to what went on under Saban.

But he's a heck of a coach otherwise.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I saw this 20 years ago. New hires, within a week, saying they wanted mid level jobs even though 1)they had no experience and 2) 50+ of their coworkers had the experience and the skills they didn’t have. It wasn’t “being aggressive”, it was that they were “special” - at least that’s what they’d always been told.
This has been going on for decades. I remember a study from the late 70s/early 80s where 70% of elementary school kids thought they were in the top 10% in scholastic achievement. This was an effect of the "self-esteem" movement that had permeated US society at large and especially school age kids. I typically do not follow secular teaching but was concerned about the fact that much of Christendom had adopted the same attitude, led by new nationally prominent "Christian psychologists". It was tragic and destructive.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
When people talk about how Smart took and improved on Saban's "Process" the biggest difference I can see from 30,000 feet is that Kirby simply removed discipline and accountability from the equation.

He presides over a program that is completely out of control compared to what went on under Saban.

But he's a heck of a coach otherwise.
He is driven and ruthless like Saban and does a great job recruiting and evaluation but IMO, he is mediocre, at best, as a game day coach. He has no feel for the unconventional. His defensive (his area of expertise) strategy for Alabama this year was bad. I didn't think he was a good play caller as Alabama's DC. His blitzes typically failed similarly to Golding.

People blame Golding for Saban's drop off and rightly so, but Saban contributed to Golding's failure too. The edge had been lost just prior to Golding's arrival. In fact, the promotion of Lupoi and Locksley to coordinators for fear of losing their recruiting prowess was the first major sign that I can remember that CNS was beginning to settle. He still had his mind and energy but not the will.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This has been going on for decades. I remember a study from the late 70s/early 80s where 70% of elementary school kids thought they were in the top 10% in scholastic achievement. This was an effect of the "self-esteem" movement that had permeated US society at large and especially school age kids. I typically do not follow secular teaching but was concerned about the fact that much of Christendom had adopted the same attitude, led by new nationally prominent "Christian psychologists". It was tragic and destructive.
That’s when it started; but it didn’t exist in any significance in the workforce at that time, that I noticed.
Yes, I had major issues with the way some (not all, thank God) of my contemporaries were raising their kids. It didn’t make it easy on those of us who disagreed with it.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Another factor in Coach Saban retiring, but seldom mentioned.
After the NCG the player screaming and throwing his helmet was someone Coach Saban considered a team leader, he exhibited poor sportsmanship and did not lose with class.
Coach Saban always wanted his players
'To win with class, and lose with class'.
DIDN'T HAPPEN.
I'm starting to think it was Dallas Turner

Reactions: Tide Pride La.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Why do you think that?
It was the tone which Dallas said he was going to the NFL draft as soon as the game was over, guys were still taking their pads off and he was telling reporters he was gone. It was also stated that this unknown helmet smasher was thought to be a leader on the team, Dallas was one of Saban's leaders on this year's team. I just have a hunch that Dallas Turner was the player CNS was referring too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.