News Article: How it Went Down, CNS's Decision, Deboer's Hire

jbrit

Sep 11, 2023
It blows my mind that players were in Saban's office demanding more money and guaranteed playing time after the Rose Bowl. Even more shocking is that Bond had already decided to go to Texas before the game. It aint college football anymore folks.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
It blows my mind that players were in Saban's office demanding more money and guaranteed playing time after the Rose Bowl. Even more shocking is that Bond had already decided to go to Texas before the game. It aint college football anymore folks.
Does the article say that about Bond?

I admittedly read through it very quickly.

If so, then good riddance anyways.

Reactions: Tidelines

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
""I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban recounted. "Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field."
Chris Low, https://www.espn.com/college-footba...labama-moved-nick-saban-kalen-deboer-49-hours

I think this says a lot about why so many of us no longer care NEARLY as much about the game. I am so happy that Coach Saban was able to give us such a wonderful run, but I don't just admire the wins and the championships. I admire how he did things. I've always felt that winning doesn't matter if you don't do it the right way, so Coach Saban was a true blessing during his time at Bama. I wish him happiness in his retirement. Roll Tide!

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
The article dosn't make it crystal clear, but Deboer was offered Friday morning and Norvel's AD announced close to noon the same day they had reached an agreement with Norvel to stay.

I guess Norvel could have been offered and chose to stay. But sounds more like Deboer took it first and Norvel took the raise.
I think we hired the better of the 2. I do think Norvel is a really good coach and a close 2nd. I don't know if he had anything to do with the "being left out" debacle the Florida AG took on but it's not a good look based on their SOS as pointed out by so many pundits and CFB fans. After reading the article I have to wonder if that was a factor in his decision to stay in Tallahassee "IF" he was offered 1st.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Possibly the saddest article I've ever read. We have some great guys on our team, the ones who they referred to as the pillars of the team but so many players now do not care a thing about Alabama or really anything but themselves. I know in their minds they are doing it right but this all about me attitude will not get them anywhere in life. it's not going to work if you're a husband, it's not going to work if you're a father. College football used to turn boys into men, now it just stuffs a few dollars in their pockets which they will quickly burn through and spits them out the back end with nothing. When that happens they will blame the system, but it won't be the system, it will be all on them. Others will see more than just dollars and take the opportunity to build something real.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.