News Article: How it Went Down, CNS's Decision, Deboer's Hire

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Wait, you're saying there wasn't some conspiracy going on?

This is a very good timeline story. Hope the idiots who think otherwise can read well enough to understand.
Don’t hold your breath…
There’s a mass-psychosis in our society where people hold fast to their predetermined cause/effect models…even in the face of overwhelming facts to the contrary.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Possibly the saddest article I've ever read. We have some great guys on our team, the ones who they referred to as the pillars of the team but so many players now do not care a thing about Alabama or really anything but themselves. I know in their minds they are doing it right but this all about me attitude will not get them anywhere in life. it's not going to work if you're a husband, it's not going to work if you're a father. College football used to turn boys into men, now it just stuffs a few dollars in their pockets which they will quickly burn through and spits them out the back end with nothing. When that happens they will blame the system, but it won't be the system, it will be all on them. Others will see more than just dollars and take the opportunity to build something real.
This is exactly correct and well said. Thank you!

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Anybody else pick up on DeBoer's statement that there was some attrition that "needed to happen?" I think he's right. We might better off without the players we were pining over.

ETA: I had a feeling Saban wasn't being totally forthcoming right after he retired when he said that NIL and the portal weren't really a factor in his retirement. Here he's saying what we all thought.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Don’t hold your breath…
There’s a mass-psychosis in our society where people hold fast to their predetermined cause/effect models…even in the face of overwhelming facts to the contrary.
There is indeed a reason flat earthers exist. Mass psychosis. People will believe something and convince themselves what they believe is absolute truth.

People are still gonna believe Sark and Lanning were offered....because it'll get said on TV again

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Possibly the saddest article I've ever read. We have some great guys on our team, the ones who they referred to as the pillars of the team but so many players now do not care a thing about Alabama or really anything but themselves. I know in their minds they are doing it right but this all about me attitude will not get them anywhere in life. it's not going to work if you're a husband, it's not going to work if you're a father. College football used to turn boys into men, now it just stuffs a few dollars in their pockets which they will quickly burn through and spits them out the back end with nothing. When that happens they will blame the system, but it won't be the system, it will be all on them. Others will see more than just dollars and take the opportunity to build something real.
"They" wanted fair, and this is what fair looks like. Oh those unintended consequences. My guess is CNS is just the first of tenured coaches who've "made their money" that we'll see begin to bow out over the next several years.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
ETA: I had a feeling Saban wasn't being totally forthcoming right after he retired when he said that NIL and the portal weren't really a factor in his retirement. Here he's saying what we all thought.
His reasons for going are multi-faceted. As an aging man, his body didn’t recover from the stress of the job as it once had. His body didn’t have the stamina it once had. His ability to get quality assistants had become an issue because of his age. Guys, potential assistants and players wanted assurances he was going to be there 3-4 years down the road. Large numbers of players were no longer buying into his Process and were all about ME and $$$ and it was obviously getting harder to get some of the more elite talent to buy in and do what he wanted them to within the TEAM concept because they all wanted theirs and they wanted it now. Now how much each of these particular things contributed to the decision that was made, is anyone’s guess. Personally, I feel like the hiring of assistants was the proverbial straw on the camel’s back. Everything I’ve read says he was undecided until the very last moment before he went into that room. And what was he doing just before that, he was interviewing for assistants. I have zero inside knowledge, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he had been asked more than once in interviews if he was going to be there down the road because they didn’t want to leave comfort if they might have to find a new job pretty soon.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
"They" wanted fair, and this is what fair looks like. Oh those unintended consequences. My guess is CNS is just the first of tenured coaches who've "made their money" that we'll see begin to bow out over the next several years.
Josh Pate and Cole Cubelic have both stated publicly that they have talked to coaches who have said they are pretty much done with it. HCs and coordinators alike. Tired of the crazy calendar and constantly having to re-recruit their team instead of actually teaching ball.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Josh Pate and Cole Cubelic have both stated publicly that they have talked to coaches who have said they are pretty much done with it. HCs and coordinators alike. Tired of the crazy calendar and constantly having to re-recruit their team instead of actually teaching ball.
It makes the NFL more and more attractive to coaches who simply want to coach and not deal with all the other BS.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I think we hired the better of the 2. I do think Norvel is a really good coach and a close 2nd. I don't know if he had anything to do with the "being left out" debacle the Florida AG took on but it's not a good look based on their SOS as pointed out by so many pundits and CFB fans. After reading the article I have to wonder if that was a factor in his decision to stay in Tallahassee "IF" he was offered 1st.
Did it say anywhere he was offered? Or that he decided to stay put. They may have have just sent out feelers, but didn't offer him. Word I got in January, was DeBoer was the only offer.

Reactions: CrimSonami

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
There is indeed a reason flat earthers exist. Mass psychosis. People will believe something and convince themselves what they believe is absolute truth.

People are still gonna believe Sark and Lanning were offered....because it'll get said on TV again
You have to give it to those flat earthers though. They certainly don't go with the common narrative.

Reactions: Cruloc

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
One thing that I did not focus on earlier was how excited DeBoer seems to be about being at Alabama. I mean, that guy really seemed to enjoy being at Washington, but he could not resist the offer to coach Alabama. That is a huge compliment to our program and its history. He also did not hesitate to follow Saban, which tells me that he has some confidence that he can win in Tuscaloosa. He will have to find a way to navigate a whole new world that has been created in college football, and I hope he can get it done. Roll Tide!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Anybody else pick up on DeBoer's statement that there was some attrition that "needed to happen?" I think he's right. We might better off without the players we were pining over.

This doesn't surprise me one bit in this day and age of CFB. I don't know how chemistry is built among these high-profile programs anymore seeing how many four and five-star players they have who feel like they need to be playing now, paid now or they're leaving.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
One thing that I did not focus on earlier was how excited DeBoer seems to be about being at Alabama. I mean, that guy really seemed to enjoy being at Washington, but he could not resist the offer to coach Alabama. That is a huge compliment to our program and its history. He also did not hesitate to follow Saban, which tells me that he has some confidence that he can win in Tuscaloosa. He will have to find a way to navigate a whole new world that has been created in college football, and I hope he can get it done. Roll Tide!
I think he knows how to navigate it and connect with young people today. He proved that at every stop in his young career including taking UW to the college football NC game last year...the Washington Huskies!

Reactions: dathbama

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.