Mac to Jaguars (article)

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
This is a great option for Jacksonville. This is Lawrence’s option year. He hasn’t really set the world on fire. This gives them another option. He would definitely be cheaper to keep if they decide to move on from Lawrence.

Reactions: 22Musso22

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I’m shocked everyone here is so happy for Mac. Unless Lawrence gets injured, zero chance for Mac to play. There are plenty of other spots where he’d have gotten that chance.
Yes, but getting sacked 1.8 seconds after the snap, having guys drop passes, and all this affecting your fundamentals was definitely hurting his stock as a quarterback. At least here he has a head coach who can build him back and see where that takes him.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I’m shocked everyone here is so happy for Mac. Unless Lawrence gets injured, zero chance for Mac to play. There are plenty of other spots where he’d have gotten that chance.
I'm not convinced Mac is good enough to be a starter. Being a backup QB in the NFL is a great gig.

Clearly none of the places looking for a starter or looking to have a competition for a starter wanted him. So this is a pretty good situation considering he wasn't going somewhere to be a starter

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Tbh he should’ve been a 3-5 round pick to begin with. I’m glad he got the money and the recognition but getting drafted that early really screwed him.
I don't think he was overdrafted, I think he was drafted by the wrong organization. To ask Mac Jones to immediately replace Tom Brady was a criminal decision by the Patriots. NE should have waited a year to draft a QB, and went for a veteran for the post Tom Brady season.

As for Mac himself, given that the NFL is morphing into a Athlethic QB era, I'm not sure he's an NFL starter. It would not surprise me if Mac Jones ends up in the UFL.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Was never going to get better in NE. The fan base wouldn't let it. This is a good spot for him. Get a year to recover some confidence, get some pretty solid qb coaching. He will get to play at some point when Lawrence inevitably gets injured this year and maybe get moved elsewhere where he can start before the trade deadline.

Reactions: dtgreg and Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Was never going to get better in NE. The fan base wouldn't let it. This is a good spot for him. Get a year to recover some confidence, get some pretty solid qb coaching. He will get to play at some point when Lawrence inevitably gets injured this year and maybe get moved elsewhere where he can start before the trade deadline.
You are right on target...what CBB did to him with coaching was borderline criminal. He needs a year to process and see the game without pressure...when TL get's injured then he can step in and fill the gap.

In sports "pressure to perform" is huge -- and MJ was good until the Patriots took that away.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Agreed. Belicheck's actions were borderline criminal over the last two years, but Mac definitely could have handled it better.
Agree on both counts.
Mac’s first year was good enough, with mediocre talent, to clearly show the promise.
Belichick’s insane coaching decisions and talent level in year two sealed Mac’s fate. Coaching change wasn’t enough; talent was still lacking and Mac floundered badly.
Get time in behind Lawrence, make the best of the pressure release but be ready: Lawrence gets hurt and you can’t play respectably (you can, you’ve shown it), prepare for life after the NFL. Good luck.

Reactions: dtgreg

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com
This is a perfect example on how timing and location can ruin a players career. When Daniels was at NE, Mac was nearly rookie of the year. Daniels leaves and then Mac Isn't good enought to be a starter? NE has bled talent for several years, and it was only because of Brady that it was masked. OL play was especially bad, but TB was so good he could adapt.

That being said, what makes this even crazier, the Vikings and Broncos are now going to be bidding over Sam Darnold, who has failed at not 1 but 3 teams, to be their starter. Mac may never be the player some of us think he can be, but we KNOW what SD is. Makes you wonder what some of these organizations are smoking.

Reactions: dtgreg and Con

22Musso22

1st Team
Sep 2, 2023
This is a great option for Jacksonville. This is Lawrence’s option year. He hasn’t really set the world on fire. This gives them another option. He would definitely be cheaper to keep if they decide to move on from Lawrence.
You are 100% correct.

Lawrence is a major disappointment and Mac could sieze an opportunity there.

Reactions: Tidelines

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
I can’t blame anything on Mac that took place in NE. He had a defensive coordinator as an offensive coordinator and Brady and Gronk got the heck out of there because that place was not a fun place to be at.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
It's a shame it's come to this. I would have liked to have seen him get another shot as a starter somewhere. I'll never understand Justin Fields getting a second chance, and not Mac. If Mac had the weapons Fields had, then we'd be looking at Mac very differently

I respect Belichick as the NFL GOAT, but at the same time, he and Patricia ruined Mac's career.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Those of you saying that Lawrence is now doing well must not watch much NFL football. He is their starter and will get a huge contract extension.
He is light years better than some of the other starters. He is hurt a lot though. Rolled an ankle last year misses 3 games and they were awful without him.

I seriously cannot understand the Justin Fields love. He is just awful.

Reactions: B1GTide

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Those of you saying that Lawrence is now doing well must not watch much NFL football. He is their starter and will get a huge contract extension.
People keep posting his career stats next to Mac's to try and say he's not very good. But obviously year 1 seriously drags Lawrence down and props Mac up.

Lawrence isn't elite right now but he's a good QB with flashes of elite play at times. If he was more consistent he'd be very very good.

Reactions: B1GTide

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Mac's rookie year proved he's a capable starting QB. Even then there wasn't much around him but last year it was a train wreck. They guy they replaced him with did even worse. They got bigger problems than QB. Mac reminds me of Kirk Cousins. If he can find the right team he can thrive. He's got to be protected though. he's not a running quarterback. and he's got to have someone to throw too. That rule really applies to everyone. Take Mohomes receivers away and he's going to look like trash.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Tbh he should’ve been a 3-5 round pick to begin with. I’m glad he got the money and the recognition but getting drafted that early really screwed him.
I dunno about that brother, what Mac did at Bama, warranted him being chosen in the 1st round or I think so anyways..

He had the NC's, stats & awards that backed up him being chosen in the 1st round

Reactions: Tidelines

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.