NFL addressing hip drop tackle (article)

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019

This is one I definitely hope college football follows. I've seen this result in injuries more time than not.

Labrador

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 17, 2024

This is one I definitely hope college football follows. I've seen this result in injuries more time than not.
it was originally taught (coached) by the Seattle Seahawks (or at least they made it famous) called the Hawk Tackle.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's a problem, but as B1G says it's a part of the game. Nobody does it intentionally IMO so I've got mixed emotions about it (more specifically how it'll be officiated). It'll be the next "targeting" controversy where one will note be called that looks certain and others that look like a normal tackle.

BTW, is this type of tackle the one that took Bo Jackson out of the league?

Reactions: B1GTide

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
it was originally taught (coached) by the Seattle Seahawks (or at least they made it famous) called the Hawk Tackle.
Supposedly was implemented to avoid head injuries and personal fouls.

Unintended consequences.

Not sure there’s any way to make football completely safe.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Supposedly was implemented to avoid head injuries and personal fouls.

Unintended consequences.

Not sure there’s any way to make football completely safe.
Very true, tackle football is never going to be completely safe. No contact sport will be.

As the video mentioned though, this tackle goes along the same lines as the horse collar. This tackle is a leg roll. I know defenses have a hard time already given the rules leaning mostly towards offense, but I've hoped this tackle would be looked at and something done with it.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

My biggest fear is College Referees will flock to this rule like Flies to Buttermilk. Kind of like they flocked to Targeting calls.
Long games will get even longer.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Very true, tackle football is never going to be completely safe. No contact sport will be.

As the video mentioned though, this tackle goes along the same lines as the horse collar. This tackle is a leg roll. I know defenses have a hard time already given the rules leaning mostly towards offense, but I've hoped this tackle would be looked at and something done with it.
If you can't hit a player high, and you can't drag them to the ground, what are the other alternatives...tackling them low (unless they're a QB in the pocket then that's a PF)?

I also find it curious that the league says they care about player safety while also adding regular season games and extra playoff games while also making the teams circumnavigate the globe to play games in front of people who have no idea what is even going on in front of them.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
If you can't hit a player high, and you can't drag them to the ground, what are the other alternatives...tackling them low (unless they're a QB in the pocket then that's a PF)?

I also find it curious that the league says they care about player safety while also adding regular season games and extra playoff games while also making the teams circumnavigate the globe to play games in front of people who have no idea what is even going on in front of them.
You're lumping everything into generalizations. You can hit high as long as your aren't leading with the crown of helmet.....although the targeting calls have been ridiculous. There's no way to tackle without your head being the first thing to make contact, especially to a moving target who is more than likely lowering his head. Targeting rules need to be addressed, there's too much subjectiveness depending on what crew is calling the game. This particular rule should be looked at and only called if something is absolutely egregious.

What are the outlawed tackles. Spearing, horse collar? You've got the blocks where a lineman is engaged and someone goes for his legs.

I've got no problem with big hits, tackling etc.....I don't even care for the blind side block calls. Aaron Murray probably has the opposite opinion on that one.

But the spearing, the horse collar, and this hip drop tackle shouldn't be in the game. Those are where the catastrophic injuries can come from. Yeah, you'll still have catastrophic injuries, but why have them from specific things we know will likely cause them. There's a reason the horse collar tackle was outlawed 20 years ago.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Not every tackle at the waste is a hip-drop. It requires twisting and putting the FULL weight of the tackler on the legs of the tackled player. Here is the best examination I've seen of what this "technique" is.

It's lazy and/or reckless tackling, with the added issue of being dangerous to the tackled player. Absolutely agree this - and any sort of twisting tackle - should be outlawed and have said so since November 18, 1985...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not every tackle at the waste is a hip-drop. It requires twisting and putting the FULL weight of the tackler on the legs of the tackled player. Here is the best examination I've seen of what this "technique" is.

It's lazy and/or reckless tackling, with the added issue of being dangerous to the tackled player. Absolutely agree this - and any sort of twisting tackle - should be outlawed and have said so since November 18, 1985...
It isn't lazy - it is a way for smaller guys to tackle bigger guys. It is another way to essentially trip a player. It is very dangerous to the guy being tackled, but much safer for the tackler.

Reactions: bamatex82

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
They can take him straight to the ground. Twisting motion as part of the tackle is where the risk of injury occurs. We cant keep shrinking the tackle window for defensive players. The game will be not officiable.

I've watched some videos and I understand why it may cause injury, but what options does a defender have when tackling from behind the runner?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah, we are real close to just strapping on flags to replace tackle football.

I see the concern about targeting and these type of tackles, but if we keep making rules that limit tackling how are guys supposed to tackle anymore?

If the offensive player was static, then tackling is easy and you could do it clean, but my beef is the offensive guy is always trying to allude the tackler and his moves (ducking his head/juking one way or another, trying to break the tackle, etc.) typically cause most risky tackles.

It's similar to other areas of life when we make so many "rules" to help one group it often becomes "unfair" for all others.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'll be interested to see the on-field interpretation of the rule. Like targeting, it's not black-and-white, 1s and 0s. At either end of the spectrum, it's clear and easy. But the game doesn't work that way....it's a continuum with a ton of nuance.

Problem is, penalties are black-and-white / 1s and 0s. You throw the flag or you don't. Where do you draw the line at throwing the flag vs. not -- keeping in mind that a referee has a split second to make the decision in a game that moves really really fast. A fair amount of human error will be unavoidable.

Will the call be reviewable? What about a no-call? Who determines whether to review or not -- the pressbox or a coach? Either or both?

The practical application of this is going to be a nightmare.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

My first take was that this was getting a little silly and enforcement would get kooky. I have a better understanding after watching that linked examination of the technique (ouch!).

Tacklers will need to try to keep their shoulders square with the runner when in this type of position. I can see runners getting loose a little more often so penalizing the tackle would result as another rule change that favors the offense. The enforcement would still get kooky...

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.