NFL addressing hip drop tackle (article)

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
After watching the rugby video explanation....the defenders are basically going to have to make an effort to drop their weight anywhere but the ball carriers legs.

I remember that tackle in the LSU Bama game too. There's no way for the ball carrier to have a good outcome unless it's just sheer luck. It's a potentially career ending play.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A hip drop tackle dislocated CJ Mosely's hip in the 2012 BCS game:

Classic example of how this injury is simply part of trying to make a tackle. Jefferson didn't try to injure Mosely.

Mosely was trying to return the INT and Jefferson was just trying to tackle him.

Reactions: Con

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Was it a hip drop tackle that got Tua and Waddle?
Don't know about Waddle, but Tua's injury wasn't caused by a hip drop tackle. As he went down, his knee hit the ground and his hip was almost 90 degrees vertical above it. Two MSU tacklers, weighing close to 600 pounds total, and with running momentum behind them, fell from above on the almost-vertical femur, knocking it out of the hip socket.

I've read that doctors said they see that injury most often in car accidents where a passenger is thrown forward into the dash or the back of the front seat. I think that was what happened to Trey Sanders.

As I'm told, Sanders' injury and Tua's were very similar. Sanders' resulted from horizontal force on a horizontal femur, and Tua's from vertical force on a vertical femur.

Reactions: Con and JDCrimson

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Classic example of how this injury is simply part of trying to make a tackle. Jefferson didn't try to injure Mosely.

Mosely was trying to return the INT and Jefferson was just trying to tackle him.
Yeah, plus Jefferson didn’t go through tackling drills every day. He was trying to get him down like you said.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I'll be interested to see the on-field interpretation of the rule. Like targeting, it's not black-and-white, 1s and 0s. At either end of the spectrum, it's clear and easy. But the game doesn't work that way....it's a continuum with a ton of nuance.

Problem is, penalties are black-and-white / 1s and 0s. You throw the flag or you don't. Where do you draw the line at throwing the flag vs. not -- keeping in mind that a referee has a split second to make the decision in a game that moves really really fast. A fair amount of human error will be unavoidable.

Will the call be reviewable? What about a no-call? Who determines whether to review or not -- the pressbox or a coach? Either or both?

The practical application of this is going to be a nightmare.
So much is changing that I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they start using AI to spot and flag penalties for the refs...:rolleyes:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
On the B-ball board there's a similar discussion of how the game has changed. Bigger, much stronger athletes than just 30-40 years ago. Just a lot more weight of the runner that must be brought down and the weight of the tackler bringing a runner down. Not even to mention that it all is happening with fast runners as well.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
On the B-ball board there's a similar discussion of how the game has changed. Bigger, much stronger athletes than just 30-40 years ago. Just a lot more weight of the runner that must be brought down and the weight of the tackler bringing a runner down. Not even to mention that it all is happening with fast runners as well.
Our game last night against GCU looked like a hybrid basketball game-rugby match for much of the contest.

BamaFan6462

Aug 24, 2023

Jefferson didn’t drop on Mosely’s legs, either. With that tackle being made at full speed, I don’t think it was done to intentionally hurt the ball carrier. Going back to tear away jerseys would prevent horse collar injuries and possibly some of the hip drops as well. I’m kind of surprised that idea hasn’t been bounced around some.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.