Question: Was O.J. Howard Alabama's greatest tight end?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I go with Ozzie, he was listed as WR, I know, I had his jersey in the seventies. But he played TE. He caught, what 20-30 passes? No , he was a force as a blocker in the wishbone . He won the 1977 SEC offensive lineman of the Year award, that doesn’t scream receiver. So I guess maybe you could say he was one of the best OT’s Bama ever had as well. Ozzie just played a 9 technique as an offensive tackle.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
and
View attachment 41100View attachment 41101
My response was about Don Hutson, not Ozzie Newsome.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
I agree that Ozzie is the answer, but I was too young at the time to appreciate his career at Alabama. If we're talking TE I'd say Kevin Norwood deserves an honorable mention. He didn't have as many receptions as Ozzie but he was absolutely outstanding in clutch situations.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I agree that Ozzie is the answer, but I was too young at the time to appreciate his career at Alabama. If we're talking TE I'd say Kevin Norwood deserves an honorable mention. He didn't have as many receptions as Ozzie but he was absolutely outstanding in clutch situations.
Norwood was a WR...and a sneaky good one at that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Was O.J. Howard Alabama's greatest tight end? You youngsters may not remember but Ozzie Newsome played wide receiver at Alabama. If it wasn't Howard, who then was the greatest Bama tight end? College career only.
No.

When readers of "Bama" magazine at the end of the 70s chose the all-decade team, there were only ten players on offense because Newsome played both tight end and wide receiver.

And the answer is Ozzie Newsome. OJ Howard had a few big moments but that's like saying Brian Doyle was a better player than Reggie Jackson just because of the 1978 World Series.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Ozzie Newsome's time at Alabama overlapped my high school years and freshman year of college. He was absolutely the best TE we ever had. Started out as a WR but was almost exclusively a TE by the time he was drafted. Defenses of the day were not equipped to handle a TE with Ozzie's skill set -- a LB or Strong Safety trying to cover him was a laughable mismatch. In the almost 50 years since Ozzie, the only TE I can think of with a similar combination of blocking and receiving is Brock Bowers at UGA.

Howard was extremely talented, but never fulfilled that talent, and was a liability as a blocker. People remember his great catch and run against LSU. As great as that play was, it was only one play. Others have noted that he also had a good game against Clemson in the BCSNCG. But Howard was way too inconsistent to be in the running for Alabama's GOAT TE.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Is this thread the ultimate teaser title? It seems the OP’s original point was Ozzie Newsome didn’t play TE at Alabama. Some advice, if that was the point you wanted to make, just say what you mean.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Can't remember his name, Colin? Just that catch Bama fooled Florida on for a TD in the 2009 SECCG.

Another position that doesn't even exist anymore, Fullback, I'd nominate Tarrant Lynch.
Lynch was great, but the correct answer is Kevin Turner (RIP).
I'd offer Johnny Davis. Not real shifty, but incredibly powerful and surprisingly fast in a straight line.

Reactions: Tidelines

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Irv Smith at his peak was better than OJ Howard was IMO. Wouldn't call him our GOAT TE either obviously
I agree about Smith v. Howard.

Maybe my memory is foggy, but aside from his incredible game against Clemson in the championship game (and it was incredible) I don't really remember him being particularly outstanding.

Talented for sure...but production...not so much.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.