Question: Was O.J. Howard Alabama's greatest tight end?

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
Is this thread the ultimate teaser title? It seems the OP’s original point was Ozzie Newsome didn’t play TE at Alabama. Some advice, if that was the point you wanted to make, just say what you mean.
Too many people think of what Ozzie did in the pros as a tight end and automatically assume that he was a tight end at Alabama which wasn't the case. Even the Alabama media guide lists him as an All-American wide receiver.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Too many people think of what Ozzie did in the pros as a tight end and automatically assume that he was a tight end at Alabama which wasn't the case. Even the Alabama media guide lists him as an All-American wide receiver.
He moved to tight end for his final seasons. As for O.J. Howard, he had profound natural ability, but half the time he played like he did not enjoy the sport. There is no comparison.

Reactions: Tidelines

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
OJ was very talented when he wanted to be, the play against Ole Miss where the ball was intercepted in the end zone if he fights for it, it's a TD and we probably end up winning, one of the times he didn't want to be

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't know. That's why I'm trying to acquire knowledge and ask my elders.
You're the same poster who thinks Dan Marino was a choke artist and proved the point by...selectively editing his statistics and refusing to look at the context.

Free advice: quit being combative and trying to pretend to be a know-it-all on one thread and "just asking questions trying to learn" on another one. You will find MANY knowledgeable fans here willing to share what they know or have observed. But you won't learn much at all if you've already decided you want to argue.

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Ozzie played wr at bama but did it in the wishbone era. Making him a glorified tight end fwiw.

If you don't accept Ozzie as an answer than bamas history is limited. When most folks think of tight ends they are thinking Gronk or Kelce....we've simply never had that guy or anything like them, closest would be OJ but he was inconsistent. Would have had a better pro run if not for injury, tore his Achilles when he'd finally had a break out year and never really fully came back.

I honestly would say Irv was more dynamic a playmaker than OJ and we've had several solid blockers there over the years.

OJ does have the distinction of making the two greatest plays by any tight end ever at bama in the same game to win us a title. He will always have that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ozzie played wr at bama but did it in the wishbone era. Making him a glorified tight end fwiw.

If you don't accept Ozzie as an answer than bamas history is limited. When most folks think of tight ends they are thinking Gronk or Kelce....we've simply never had that guy or anything like them, closest would be OJ but he was inconsistent. Would have had a better pro run if not for injury, tore his Achilles when he'd finally had a break out year and never really fully came back.

I honestly would say Irv was more dynamic a playmaker than OJ and we've had several solid blockers there over the years.

OJ does have the distinction of making the two greatest plays by any tight end ever at bama in the same game to win us a title. He will always have that.
The whole argument (by others, not you) that Ozzie Newsome wasn't a tight end because he's listed in the program as a WR is absurd. Positionally, he played both.

Are we going to have a semantics argument over halfback versus tailback, too?
Is a punter now actually a kicker since he KICKS the ball?

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
The whole argument (by others, not you) that Ozzie Newsome wasn't a tight end because he's listed in the program as a WR is absurd. Positionally, he played both.

Yea I agree that we all should agree that he played tight end and be done with it haha.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

This is a little similar to my All Time Astros, where I have Biggio at catcher.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.