Video: WR Coach Sheppard during Spring Practice

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
WOW...excited to see how this translates onto the field.
I watched a LOT of what he did with Wash WR's in 2022 when Grubb was in CNS's sight and I was very impressed.

He will have guys running Precise Routes and I mean PRECISE.

The Route Trees are designed to leverage defenders and create pockets of open space for WR's to ATTACK and if one route is covered it leaves another area open on another route.

Coach Shephard teaches WR's to aggressively get to those open areas and Snatch the Ball out of Air and get YAC.

They are constantly making a Safety make a choice and when that happens whether it's choice A or B the defense is cooked because we have a secondary route open off either choice.

I feel like I can confidently say our WR group will collectively look better technique wise as well as mentally than any other recent WR group.

The QB holds the Key to making everything work but we will no longer have to worry about why guys aren't getting open.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
It will be great if we can get Milroe to see all that...

I watched a LOT of what he did with Wash WR's in 2022 when Grubb was in CNS's sight and I was very impressed.

The Route Trees are designed to leverage defenders and create pockets of open space for WR's to ATTACK and if one route is covered it leaves another area open on another route.

Coach Shephard teaches WR's to aggressively get to those open areas and Snatch the Ball out of Air and get YAC.

They are constantly making a Safety make a choice and when that happens whether it's choice A or B the defense is cooked because we have a secondary route open off either choice.

I feel like I can confidently say our WR group will collectively look better technique wise as well as mentally than any other recent WR group.

The QB holds the Key to making everything work but we will no longer have to worry about why guys aren't getting open.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think Deboer's system from what we've seen is designed to be QB friendly. Look at what he did for Penix and his development.
I agree. Milroe is doing great job so far this spring. If he keeps developing and get better, Whew, hopefully he can play at the next level and silence everyone who's doubting him. I'm cheering for him.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Now all we need is a QB that can read the Defense and read the multi routes.
(I still have personal doubts about Milroe being able to do this.)

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

For the record - I LOVE what this looks like. Thing is, it requires the QB to be just as precise in his timing as it does the WRs. If the QB is slow or off schedule, he won't be in a position to make the throw in time, and in this offense, that means the window will be closed since it's designed to attack seams in coverage or precise spots versus man-to-man.

We had WRs WIDE open last year a large percentage of the time also. While the route design wasn't the same as what the new scheme has (this scheme stacks the routes, while Rees would build depth across the field - like we always have honestly), there were quick read pass options on just about all the play calls, as well as hot routes that could vary on coverage. The ball just wasn't getting thrown there when the guys were open.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
For the record - I LOVE what this looks like. Thing is, it requires the QB to be just as precise in his timing as it does the WRs. If the QB is slow or off schedule, he won't be in a position to make the throw in time, and in this offense, that means the window will be closed since it's designed to attack seams in coverage or precise spots versus man-to-man.

We had WRs WIDE open last year a large percentage of the time also. While the route design wasn't the same as what the new scheme has (this scheme stacks the routes, while Rees would build depth across the field - like we always have honestly), there were quick read pass options on just about all the play calls, as well as hot routes that could vary on coverage. The ball just wasn't getting thrown there when the guys were open.
That has to be frustrating if you are a WR. It's no wonder why we had some leave after the season... :rolleyes:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

First, this is not an attack on a player or coach. Past or present.
We had guys running free last year that were not targeted . But I am very excited about adding Coach Shephard . He had three receivers that will probably get drafted in the first 2 rounds of this years draft. Plus, the team needed a high energy coach at practice. I don’t think we have had that much energy at practice since coach yeah .
I just wish auto correct would stop changing the “h” to a second “p” .

Reactions: gtgilbert

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.