Transfer Portal 2023-24, v2

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
He can but would have to sit out a year which makes it unlikely.
Yea but why. If you're gonna sit a year. Sit a year at bama and transfer in the January wherever you wanna go.

There's no reason to enter the spring portal to transfer in conference unless you have a redshirt year to burn..he land somewhere good but auburn would be a waste of a year.

Reactions: TiderJack

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
How many on scholarship now? I heard it's at 86.
Looks like 85 with Perry leaving. But we need maybe two more spots. We really need an experienced Left Tackle. Zack Owens from Clemson may be a guard.
The count i saw today said 85 after perry leaving also. We will add at least one more player at cb. We have a starter at LT, either proctor or ep will do well there. We would need someone with some time to be cool waiting a year to start. If that 85 count was accurate we may not see much happen other than a corner unless there's a last second run for the exits which I don't expect. The next person out will likely be make room for a corner.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Interesting scenario. Tyler Baron transferred from Tenn. to Louisville on 1/16/24. Now, it looks like he will be reentering the portal. He has never played a down for Louisville. Will he be allowed to transfer to another SEC school without sitting out a year?

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
The count i saw today said 85 after perry leaving also. We will add at least one more player at cb. We have a starter at LT, either proctor or ep will do well there. We would need someone with some time to be cool waiting a year to start. If that 85 count was accurate we may not see much happen other than a corner unless there's a last second run for the exits which I don't expect. The next person out will likely be make room for a corner.
I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches have a talk with a couple of players and convince them that entering the portal might be a better option for them.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
Interesting scenario. Tyler Baron transferred from Tenn. to Louisville on 1/16/24. Now, it looks like he will be reentering the portal. He has never played a down for Louisville. Will he be allowed to transfer to another SEC school without sitting out a year?
Good question. I was wondering about that same scenario yesterday. Not sure how the rule is written.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
So if players can leave/transfer without the coaches permission/consent, a coach should always have the right to tell a player he wants another player in his place.
Josh Pate explained that with the reality of the transfer portal and NIL, players are "being cut." That is the flip side to the players being paid. Players are doing what is best for them. Coaches have to make decisions about what is best for the team. It is unfortunate, but that is the new reality of college football.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Josh Pate explained that with the reality of the transfer portal and NIL, players are "being cut." That is the flip side to the players being paid. Players are doing what is best for them. Coaches have to make decisions about what is best for the team. It is unfortunate, but that is the new reality of college football.
Nothing unfortunate about it - if you're not good enough, move along. These are adults we're talking about, not children, and they want the freedom to play wherever they want and get paid in the process - this is the other side of the proverbial 'double-edged sword'.

Welcome to the real world.