Alabama QBs in 2024, II

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Well I’m not a Georgia fan.
My point is it’s a matter of perspective.

When that series started after the turnover I was pretty sure they’d hold us to a FG…for the very reason that they knew the game hinged on it.

It’s what elite defenses do in critical moments.

And our offense wasn’t elite and not capable of putting the knife in.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrimsonEyeshade

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m looking forward to seeing us play this year and trust that this staff will make the correct decisions regarding who’s on the field. Someone earlier brought up Marrone’s name and our slip as far as the offensive line. It was spot on. I’ll add BoB in there as well. I’m not sure how much coaching Milroe received from him in the two years he was here. Golding was horrible. We’ll see. RTR
Marrone… BoB… and Golding. What’s the common denominator?

Reactions: Tidewater

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My point is it’s a matter of perspective.
Well there is a different perspective from the Soviet perspective on the Miracle on Ice but I doubt many Americans know it or care about it.

The point in bringing up the fumble in the first place was to highlight how ineffective the offense was on goal line situations. It really was an all year thing. I’m just trying to show that for all the talk about Milroe’s performance in the SECCG it really wasn’t as about him being an extraordinary contributor in the win as much of him not making dumb mistakes. Great players make great moments in great opportunities. That fumble would have doomed Georgia had Bryce, Mac, or Tua been the quarterback. I just think people are making too much about Milroe being on a SECCT team as others are making his performance in the Rose Bowl the reason we didn’t win a championship. I just don’t see Milroe’s 2023 SECCG performance in the same light as Bryce’s 2021 SECCG performance other than we won both games.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Well there is a different perspective from the Soviet perspective on the Miracle on Ice but I doubt many Americans know it or care about it.

The point in bringing up the fumble in the first place was to highlight how ineffective the offense was on goal line situations. It really was an all year thing. I’m just trying to show that for all the talk about Milroe’s performance in the SECCG it really wasn’t as about him being an extraordinary contributor in the win as much of him not making dumb mistakes. Great players make great moments in great opportunities. That fumble would have doomed Georgia had Bryce, Mac, or Tua been the quarterback. I just think people are making too much about Milroe being on a SECCT team as others are making his performance in the Rose Bowl the reason we didn’t win a championship. I just don’t see Milroe’s 2023 SECCG performance in the same light as Bryce’s 2021 SECCG performance other than we won both games.
Let’s not forget the fact that we got some help from the refs on a crucial 4th down pass to Bonds, that clearly hit the ground. A pass, might I add, that should never have been thrown by Milroe, off his back foot no less.

• Facepalm
Reactions: CrimsonEyeshade

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

Milroe isn’t an elite QB, so there’s that to consider.

That said, I don’t understand why the discussion about him has to be either that he’s a Heisman level player or a guy who shouldn’t even be considered a real QB.

Seems for many the QB discussion is now less about the players competing for the job and more about who certain posters have decided to defend and who they have decided to deride.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

That said, I don’t understand why the discussion about him has to be either that he’s a Heisman level player or a guy who shouldn’t even be considered a real QB.

Seems for many the QB discussion is now less about the players competing for the job and more about who certain posters have decided to defend and who they have decided to deride.
Look Im just ready for both Milroe and Simpson to move on at this point personally. Its gotten to the point where Alabama fans are like Twilight fans arguing over what fantasy guy the girl should get with. The truth of the matter is probably neither quarterback was going to win us a national championship last year. I still fear the idea that we survive Michigan and somehow overlook Washington with that team last year. I think our biggest roster issues last year were probably that we started the wrong two running backs more than we started the wrong quarterback.

But where i truly hate this conversation is that you have people quoting stuff like Milroe finished 6th in heisman voting and that is an indication that he is a great quarterback. Then on the opposite we have guys looking at one pass to Dipree in the USF game saying that its indication that Ty is the savior. If you twisted my arm and told me to pick then Im going with Ty but Im not as sure about what the tradeoff is in terms of wins and losses by picking one over the other. I just wish this had been a settled manner long ago and we werent entering our 3rd season wondering which guy is finally going to be the guy after Bryce.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Don’t let the Cult of Milroe hear you say that in public. You will get absolutely roasted.

Reactions: Superdad

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Look Im just ready for both Milroe and Simpson to move on at this point personally. Its gotten to the point where Alabama fans are like Twilight fans arguing over what fantasy guy the girl should get with. The truth of the matter is probably neither quarterback was going to win us a national championship last year. I still fear the idea that we survive Michigan and somehow overlook Washington with that team last year. I think our biggest roster issues last year were probably that we started the wrong two running backs more than we started the wrong quarterback.

But where i truly hate this conversation is that you have people quoting stuff like Milroe finished 6th in heisman voting and that is an indication that he is a great quarterback. Then on the opposite we have guys looking at one pass to Dipree in the USF game saying that its indication that Ty is the savior. If you twisted my arm and told me to pick then Im going with Ty but Im not as sure about what the tradeoff is in terms of wins and losses by picking one over the other. I just wish this had been a settled manner long ago and we werent entering our 3rd season wondering which guy is finally going to be the guy after Bryce.
I think this is fair.

Reactions: JDCrimson

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

I think the last sentence is the worst part for sure. Every moment this carries on is too long.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
If you look at it from a UGA perspective, their championship level defense rose up and saved the game at that point.
Let's not forget Milroe was even more erratic than usual that day. He made plays when it mattered, but he also missed on a lot of open throws that day, so it was more than just their defense.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Because the story doesn't make sense at all. It's illogical. Brooks was benched for doing what allegedly the OL and some other "skill players" were doing but 2 of the mains skill players of the season also transferred/chose Ty for their pro day. So the skill player we have a story on is a guy who had 3 catches all season. Clearly he wasn't the one making Saban do anything.

But also Buchner who I think everyone here agreed was not the guy (he was bad at Notre Dame too despite winning "MVP" in a bowl game where he threw 3 INTs). But Buchner was also ahead of Ty. So clearly the staff had some big reservations about Ty. According to basically every insider even including 81 on here has said Ty did not look all that great last spring/fall and Rodney Orr has said multiple times he "wasn't ready".

But some how this all adds up to poor old Saban giving in to some players demands to play Milroe.

I'm not saying there isn't truth to the story. I'm sure there was some unrest bringing in Buchner (frankly I think rightfully so) and maybe I could buy Saban rushed his decision a bit to maintain team harmony but to me that seems like a reasonable decision because no one seemed to think Ty was ready anyway and we all saw Buchner(idc what the team around him was doing dude threw every ball into the dirt).
It adds up fine, but you've convinced yourself of the opposite.

Latest threads