Alabama QBs in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If JM already has the job locked up and he is our best option, then we need to recruit better.
I'm fine with that. Becasue that means he's "earned QB1" based on last year's cred, and current leadership, work-ethic and athletic potential. But he's not taken one, live bullets snap in a scrimmage yet in the presence of CKD.

What I wouldn't be fine with is if one of the other three guys starts showing more potential in those same game-like conditions during scrimmages this spring or even actual games next fall and CKD failed to make a switch.

Reactions: TD7

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
You seriously think reading defenses can't be improved upon? So you are born with it or you are not?

He has a spring (15 practices) and camp (29 practices). That's not sudden or overnight.

I expect most all of our players to get better with these 44 practices with the more reps they get.

I am not saying Jalen will be the starter (but I think he will) but some of act as though he is a bum that can not possibly improve parts of his game.
I think the "he can't read defenses" is way overblown. He reads just fine. Not sure how that got started.

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023
You seriously think reading defenses can't be improved upon? So you are born with it or you are not?

He has a spring (15 practices) and camp (29 practices). That's not sudden or overnight.

I expect most all of our players to get better with these 44 practices with the more reps they get.

I am not saying Jalen will be the starter (but I think he will) but some of act as though he is a bum that can not possibly improve parts of his game.
How many practices did he have last season with what looked regression as the season progressed?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Things are starting to get comical.

I really can't remember so much discussion about another player allegedly making a seismic shift in improvement and development based on absolutely nothing but hearsay from the least reputable sources available.

If some of the things being said were based off of comments by teammates and coaches that would be one thing.

People are literally just making things up at this point based off of nothing.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think the "he can't read defenses" is way overblown. He reads just fine. Not sure how that got started.
Since this isn't in Blue I have to ask...

How can you say this with a straight face?

I don't know where he's at right now because we have nothing to go on between Jan and now...

But 2023 MIlroe absolutely could not read a defense pre or post snap to save his life.

He was a 1 read QB for the majority of the season and sometimes on a good day a 2 read QB.

There were countless plays all year where if the 1st read was covered he totally locked up mentally when he had WR's and TE's and RB's open.

He wouldn't even run to daylight later in the year because he was defiantly trying to prove he was a passing QB.....but he wouldn't throw it away either and just ate losses.

He's not 'Fine' in this area.

He needs to make massive amounts of improvement to effectively run CKD's Offense.

Can he? I don't know... Maybe he can.

But it can't just be passively dismissed and hand waved away like it's not an issue. That's just absurd I'm sorry.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Things are starting to get comical.

I really can't remember so much discussion about another player allegedly making a seismic shift in improvement and development based on absolutely nothing but hearsay from the least reputable sources available.

If some of the things being said were based off of comments by teammates and coaches that would be one thing.

People are literally just making things up at this point based off of nothing.
The dichotomy here on Milroe is unlike anything I've ever seen in regards to one player.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
You basically did on reading defenses and I think the mental part of the game is easier to overcome than the physical and you can get better with time and experience which he is getting right now.
Statements like this are inherently untrue.

Every athlete, or just individual for that matter, is unique. Every one has a threshold, or upper limit of what they can achieve across hundreds of possible skills and attributes whether that is physical, mental, speed, strength, vision, quickness, whatever.

Just like the upper threshold for EVERY possible attribute is unique to each athlete, so is the speed at which they might be able to improve it, and also the ease at which they improve it.

i.e. what might be easy to improve for one athlete, could be very hard for another. That's not meant as a statement for or against JM, just a fact about every athlete.

As for reading defenses, that's not just a mental aspect. It's way, way more than that. Yes, JM would need to know what the reads are for a lot of situations and that's a learning thing, but there is SO much more.

some very critical aspects of this are

1) overall quickness - being able to get a QBs entire body into position on schedule to look where he needs to look. This part is somewhat easier to train overall if an athlete has the aptitude. JM does have a LOT of work to do here as I have documented before.

2) Visual cortex - The ability for information to pass quickly from the eyes to the brain for further processing. This one is pretty hard to train and even harder to measure, but critical and is somewhat innate. This is why some players just seem to 'see' things that others don't. Until recently it was thought to be completely untrainable, but some recent research has found ways to make some improvements. For the record, I've never seen any type of link of this type of processing capability to overall intelligence - they seem to be independent attributes (i.e. someone could have a super high IQ but still have very low visual cortex processing speed, or someone could be dumb as a box of rocks, and yet have very high visual cortex processing speed)
3) field of vision - both depth and breadth at which visual information registers for processing by the cortex. So far, there isn't an established way to train this unless there's a known visual issue that can be fixed with contacts or surgery.

i've no idea where JM would stand on 2 and 3, but just mention those due to hearing statements last season that in meetings when asked what he was seeing on the field in certain situations, he wasn't sure or wasn't able to answer so those are key aspects of that equation.

Net - we really don't know how easy, or difficult it could be for JM to address anything because everyone is different. He might have a high or low overall ceiling in some areas, or have a high or low ability to improve it. Other QBs in the room likely have different thresholds for different attributes that are totally different from JMs.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It got started because Saban and CTR said it so that's a good source. The staff literally changed the ENTIRE offense because JM couldn't make the reads required, and then when that was not working, they stopped calling RPO type plays and forced designated QB runs because JM wasn't making the right read on the edge player. Saban and CTR are on record discussing this and how much they had to try to simplify things.

Why do you think Saban talked so much about how proud he was of the job the coaching staff did with the team this year? He said multiple times he thought this season was best job by the coaches since he's been at 'bama.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Then you have no idea what you were watching last season. He was borderline horrible at reading defenses and most times depended on pure athleticism to get out of it. Our best wr transferred because of of it. You need to take the John Conlee 8 track out and remove the rose colored glasses. For you to say his not being able to read defenses was "overblown" says it all.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
It got started because Saban and CTR said it so that's a good source. The staff literally changed the ENTIRE offense because JM couldn't make the reads required, and then when that was not working, they stopped calling RPO type plays and forced designated QB runs because JM wasn't making the right read on the edge player. Saban and CTR are on record discussing this and how much they had to try to simplify things.

Why do you think Saban talked so much about how proud he was of the job the coaching staff did with the team this year? He said multiple times he thought this season was best job by the coaches since he's been at 'bama.
I love it when people compose a totally perfect post, with nothing but facts and people STILL do the “smash keyboard” emoji. You just can’t win with some people.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Then you have no idea what you were watching last season. He was borderline horrible at reading defenses and most times depended on pure athleticism to get out of it. Our best wr transferred because of of it. You need to take the John Conlee 8 track out and remove the rose colored glasses. For you to say his not being able to read defenses was "overblown" says it all.
So many missed reads. Even on successful plays, he threw it to the wrong read…ALL THE TIME. The 4th down pass to Bond in the SEC title game never should have been thrown, for example. That play ultimately worked out, but it shouldn’t have. 1) it was the wrong read, and 2) he didn’t even catch it lol. Plus, look at his mechanics on that play, my goodness they’re horrible.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Statements like this are inherently untrue.

Every athlete, or just individual for that matter, is unique. Every one has a threshold, or upper limit of what they can achieve across hundreds of possible skills and attributes whether that is physical, mental, speed, strength, vision, quickness, whatever.
To your first point, I think that is inaccurate. Baseball players go into slumps, golfers have the yips and basketball players continuing to miss free throws/shots in a slump are mostly mental.

To your second point, in business it is called the Peter Principal what you are referencing and is when a person has advanced through the ranks as far as he can and he hits a ceiling. I don't think Jalen has hit his ceiling yet.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
To your first point, I think that is inaccurate. Baseball players go into slumps, golfers have the yips and basketball players continuing to miss free throws/shots in a slump are mostly mental.

To your second point, in business it is called the Peter Principal what you are referencing and is when a person has advanced through the ranks as far as he can and he hits a ceiling. I don't think Jalen has hit his ceiling yet.
Milroe doesn't have the yips. The yips would mean he was doing things successfully and then suddenly and unexpectedly just started making weird mistakes.

I don't know where Milroe's ceiling is, but if he doesn't acquire the ability to read defenses and make presnap reads....his ceiling is lower than the other QB's on campus. A kid like Milroe has relied on his freakish athletic abilities throughout his young career....he's got to unlearn what he has learned and learn other things he hasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.