Alabama QBs in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I know more than everyone in the world so...
I'm assuming this is directed at me so I'll respond in kind. There are many things in life I don't know a lot about, so I don't have strong opinions on them. But one thing I do know is playing sports and this particular topic regarding Milroe has overlaps with baseball, football, basketball, and softball. The sport may differ but when someone says the "mental side of the game" compared to the physical side of the game they are talking about the exact same things and the exact same concepts.

Do I know more than anyone? No, but I've put in enough games and years playing and coaching all three of the major sports that I have no doubt and no problem saying, that some of the comments I'm reading about this topic make me wonder if "they" ever played organized sports beyond 9 years old. That may sound arrogant, and that's fine. But several views about this topic have me scratching my head as to how simplified they are trying to make this when it isn't. Is it unfixable, no it isn't. But it isn't as easy of a fix as many on here are trying to make it out to be. Personally, after watching JM play a full season, it seems no one in his youth or HS years spent one ounce of time with him trying to develop him beyond his physical talent level and that is a shame.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm assuming this is directed at me so I'll respond in kind. There are many things in life I don't know a lot about, so I don't have strong opinions on them. But one thing I do know is playing sports and this particular topic regarding Milroe has overlaps with baseball, football, basketball, and softball. The sport may differ but when someone says the "mental side of the game" compared to the physical side of the game they are talking about the exact same things and the exact same concepts.

Do I know more than anyone? No, but I've put in enough games and years playing and coaching all three of the major sports that I have no doubt and no problem saying, that some of the comments I'm reading about this topic make me wonder if "they" ever played organized sports beyond 9 years old. That may sound arrogant, and that's fine. But several views about this topic have me scratching my head as to how simplified they are trying to make this when it isn't. Is it unfixable, no it isn't. But it isn't as easy of a fix as many on here are trying to make it out to be. Personally, after watching JM play a full season, it seems no one in his youth or HS years spent one ounce of time with him trying to develop him beyond his physical talent level and that is a shame.
It was definitely not directed at anyone. Was just a general joke.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It would be interesting to know what the staff's thoughts were on Milroe as a recruit.

Did they see him as needing tons of development in those areas, or did they simply flop on evaluating him.

It wouldn't surprise me if Milroe, like many superior athletes at the high school level, simply dominated his opponents on physical ability alone.
I only watched a few highlights from his HS days so can't make a broad definitive statement, but in looking at the stats, I don't think you could say he dominated in HS. He was clearly a running QB as a sophmore, but every year those stats dropped a lot - almost like he was trying to shake the 'running QB' label back then. The passing stats were never great. They were not awful, but did not stand out either. There were 2 RBs that, from a stats standpoint, carried the team, so my guess would be that they pounded the opponents with those two guys to draw a ton of D guys into the box and, JM would throw just enough to keep them honest and occasionally hit a long bomb and that's what drew the attention. He does make some decent throws in the highlights (that's why they are called that), but there were a lot of bombs thrown deep against a busted coverage where the Wr just waited for the ball.

Remember that no one in that class got evaluated in the most important (after junior season) spring due to covid so it's likely the staff and services had a bit more limited view of all the players. Some areas of the country didn't even play that fall at all.

Looking at the recruiting write ups. they talk about a strong arm, with good velocity, etc and spend more time talking about strengths as a runner, and then wrap with "Footwork technique and consistency can improve."

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Milroe’s strengths:
Arm strength
Running Ability
Ball Placement
Touch

That’s it. Reading defenses. Anticipating pressure. Throwing receivers open. Etc. Not his thing.

His strengths are strong enough to win 9 games. The other three - “hold on to your hats”…. Gonna be a bumpy ride.
I’d have to disagree with ball placement. I saw a lot of inaccurate throws at every level. The winner against the barn was however a thing of beauty.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
I’d have to disagree with ball placement. I saw a lot of inaccurate throws at every level. The winner against the barn was however a thing of beauty.
Yep, but if you point out that even in the practice video throws that his release is late or later than the other QBs or that the throw itself was behind the WR and made him slow down....you don't know what you're talking about because you never did exactly what Milroe is doing or what those exact coaches are doing.

But disagreements do tend to go to those levels eventually.

No one on this board is pulling for Milroe to fail. The fact we point out there are fundamental issues with several aspects of his game does not mean we are pulling for him to fail.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong, that my opinion that the mountain he has to climb is too great....that he climbs it and has that Burrow like metamorphosis I've mentioned he needs.

To the point of his accuracy though....it's not good and hasn't been. The fundamental reason for that is his throwing mechanics. Throwing mechanics are throwing mechanics....if your feet aren't right, if your hips aren't right, if your shoulders aren't right, it's impossible to have an accurate throw unless it's just sheer luck. Even the big throw at Auburn, he slings that ball....his athleticism made that play....his mechanics weren't there.

Last edited:

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023
Ball placement is definitely an issue. No way that can be considered a strength. He doesn't even consistently put the ball in the same place during warm-ups.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The bottom line is after starting in multiple years, I still do not trust Jalen Milroe. I don’t trust him to make the right decision, and even if he does, I don’t trust him to actually make the play.

Working backwards from recent QBs, I trusted:

Young from the first drive against Miami

Mac in the 2019 Arkansas game

Tua pretty much immediately

Hurts in the 2nd half against USC

Coker against Ole Miss. Yes, we lost the game but he won the team that night.

Blake Sims against Florida (he went OFF in that game)

AJ on the road against Penn State

McElroy against Va Tech.

Basically, I trusted every Saban QB early in their starting career. Milroe? Nah, he honestly scares the crap out of me.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
With all due respect, how many people posting here played or coached sports at any where near the level similar to the coaches and players at a program like Alabama?

I played soccer and tennis in high school, and I was pretty darn good, even finished 3rd in the state in my group in tennis. I played men's club soccer (not intramurals but the actual university-funded men's club program that traveled to other universities for games and so on) at the university level. I also have a coaching license in soccer and coached at the high school level.

I can watch a soccer game and a tennis match and see things that the vast majority of the general public doesn't see. But my experience as a competitive high school player, collegiate club player and high school coach does not make me any kind of expert on anything relating to playing or coaching at an elite university level such as what exists at a school like Alabama.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the vast majority of people posting stuff about the intricacies of playing and coaching the QB position at an SEC level are more similarly situated to me than a Jalen Milroe or Coach DeBoer.

I go to my son's high school soccer games and my wife (who was a scholarship soccer player at Alabama back in the 1990's) and I are simply appalled at the stuff a lot of the parents (and even the coaches at times) say during the games. Many of them act like they're Pep Guardiola when in reality most of them wouldn't know him if they ran him over in the parking lot and know as much about soccer as I know about quantum physics.
I know you've asked this question a few times. Here are my thoughts:

I don't think you have to be a coach or played QB to discuss this for two reasons:

First, practically speaking, this is a discussion board and people are just giving their subjective opinions, in this case, about the most critical position in football. Yet, if we only talked about the things we are experts on, this board would shut down tomorrow for lack of interest and traffic.

Second, but more to the point, it's my opinion that most of the criticisms that I and many others are raising about Jalen Milroe are the type of things that most knowlegable college football fans can simply see with their own eyes as weaknesses (and I consider this board to have many elite knowledgeable football fans).

And it's becoming more and more obvious that the ones who push back against the obvious weakness of JM are more in love with the idea of JM as the Bama quarterback (call them super fans) rather than seeing him more objectively.

This is what I mean: as if it hasn't been said 100s of times by now, but you don't have to be a College QB coach or former D-1 QB or high-level player to see that:

- Jalen can be in the pocket looking downfield and there's a wide-open receiver in the middle of the field OR one slipping out of the backfield running wide-open in the flats and he, for whatever reason, won't throw the ball to him. Common sense says he's either stubborn and won't run the play, unconfident in his ability to throw that pass, selfish and holds the ball so he can make a play instead OR he "doesn't see him." Most of his critics, to JM's credit, believe he's not selfish (seems like a good team type guy) so it's one of the other reasons...maybe all three to an extent...but this is generally described as "JM can't read a defense post-snap."

Another example of "can't read the defense" that is perhaps the most stunning and alarming thing is he can't run the "RPO" in the sense he can't read the "run option" of the RPO. Early last year, multiple times (before the CTR simplification of the "Bama offense"), we'd be running an RPO that was clearly intended for Jalen to read the defensive end to determine if he should hand the ball off to the running back OR if he should keep the ball and run himself. So many times, he made the inexplicable "wrong" read. There were several times that he handed off when, if he would have kept the ball himself, he would have run for long gains or TDS.

Both of these are just examples of struggles in post snap reads but some of it could be attributed to an inability to read a defense pre-snap (which I admit is harder to detect as an "arm chair QB").

But I guess my point is these are generally "arm chair QB" low-hanging fruit types of criticism of JM's game that many on this board can see as knowledgeable fans of the game.

And, I can only speak for myself, but also believe most of the other critics don't have a problem with JM as a person, but as a QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.