Curious about the 2024 class

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't follow recruiting very closely, except that around this time of year I look at who we've got on the list. I noticed that this year we have a lot more 3 star players than normal. According to 247 we have 9 vs for instance 3 in last years class. I realize that Saban rates prospects himself so his opinion can differ. but It does seem a little outside our usual. Anyone have insight?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I don't follow recruiting very closely, except that around this time of year I look at who we've got on the list. I noticed that this year we have a lot more 3 star players than normal. According to 247 we have 9 vs for instance 3 in last years class. I realize that Saban rates prospects himself so his opinion can differ. but It does seem a little outside our usual. Anyone have insight?
Coach Saban is a VERY good evaluator of talent. Trust him... :cool:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Yes it does seem out of the norm to have that many 3 stars, but you must keep in mind, lots of services are very lazy and just don't have enough time or resources to evaluate very single kid in the country. That's why Saban and staff preferred kids to camp in Tuscaloosa and see for themselves before offering. Furthermore, these rankings are not final, and I expect as usual several of our commits will get another look by some of the more known services and their rankings will be adjusted.
Lastly, I mentioned in an earlier post regarding recruiting and the hype some of these 5 stars receive only to not panned out or transferred out down the line due to several factors. We have had some major contributions from 3-star players through the years and I expect that trend to continue. Some kids developed much later, and we don't always see the immediate impact until their junior season or so. In the end, the cliche about in Saban we trust still rings true. the 2024 class is not quite done yet and we should see some nice addition to an already stellar class. If it makes you feel any better, check out the 2025 class! LOL!!!

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Yes it does seem out of the norm to have that many 3 stars, but you must keep in mind, lots of services are very lazy and just don't have enough time or resources to evaluate very single kid in the country. That's why Saban and staff preferred kids to camp in Tuscaloosa and see for themselves before offering. Furthermore, these rankings are not final, and I expect as usual several of our commits will get another look by some of the more known services and their rankings will be adjusted.
Lastly, I mentioned in an earlier post regarding recruiting and the hype some of these 5 stars receive only to not panned out or transferred out down the line due to several factors. We have had some major contributions from 3-star players through the years and I expect that trend to continue. Some kids developed much later, and we don't always see the immediate impact until their junior season or so. In the end, the cliche about in Saban we trust still rings true. the 2024 class is not quite done yet and we should see some nice addition to an already stellar class. If it makes you feel any better, check out the 2025 class! LOL!!!
I don't doubt that Saban is picking guys he thinks will fit into the Alabama process. In the age of NLI who knows what may eventually come together to make the best teams. So far it's looking like Saban may have a better read on that than most. Certainly more than Texas A&M or Colorado.

Reactions: sanjosecrimson

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
He didn't say he didn't trust him. He's asking opinions on it being outside the usual.
Gotcha! ;) (No disrespect was intended, Slamma.)

I guess I could have stated it better that if CNS deems a 3-star worthy of a schollie, there must be a hidden gem there. :D

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

I guess I could have stated it better that if CNS deems a 3-star worthy of a schollie, there must be a hidden gem there. :D
It's surprisingly common for someone to ask a question (not just here) and then they get a flood of answers that don't answer the question. They'll respond questioning why the question was asked, respond with how a different question should have been asked, respond with how the question shouldn't have been asked, etc.

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and Bubbaloo

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

PS: He wasn't questioning if they were worthy of an offer. I suspect that's a given. He was curious about what's unique about this year.

I'll get off my soapbox now. It's just a pet peeve on when I ask questions and then get a flood of stuff acting like the question shouldn't have been asked, the question indicates a lack of faith in the subject at hand, etc.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
So, to answer your question: IMHO recruiting services that give the recruits the "STARS" for the most part don't know what they are doing. THEY don't necessarily evaluate the players in the same way as coaches do. Why else would a recruit get a star bump when they land an offer from an elite program?

Generally, recruits gain stars as the process goes along. If you were to look back, most 4 and 5 stars probably started out as 3 stars. :cool:

Also, there is some discrepancy between the recruiting services. Those nine recruits that you mentioned are probably rated differently on the other recruiting services websites.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, to answer your question: IMHO recruiting services that give the recruits the "STARS" for the most part don't know what they are doing. THEY don't necessarily evaluate the players in the same way as coaches do. Why else would a recruit get a star bump when they land an offer from an elite program?

Generally, recruits gain stars as the process goes along. If you were to look back, most 4 and 5 stars probably started out as 3 stars. :cool:

Also, there is some discrepancy between the recruiting services. Those nine recruits that you mentioned are probably rated differently on the other recruiting services websites.
I think that the 247 consolidated rankings cover those anomalies pretty well. This is an unusual class for Alabama. And these guys didn't get a Bama bump once they committed.

I would say that it looks like Saban went after needs first this year. And I wonder if the attrition every year with the portal and NIL might have him rethinking some things.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I’m guessing that, by the time the final rankings come out, most of those will move to four-star. We may end up with three or four at the three star level, which are projects I’m sure.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Take William Sanders for instance. Watch him start as a red -shirt Fr. My understanding is he didn't do the recruiting camps. They know little about him, but coach Saban does. We have several recruits that fall under similar situations. It will prove out that Saban is right in the end.

Reactions: Con

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Overall the 24 class is pretty down accross the country. Lots of 3 stars but still 2nd best class is a pretty big indicator of that.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Ionata is a relentless road grader. Finishes blocks. He may be a bit underrated. Reese looks like a player, just undersized. Kirkpatrick has the pedigree and looks pretty fast. There's not much if any film out there of Lindsey and Okoronkwo, and some of the others.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I have a different take,
probably one that isn’t popular. I think the combination of hiring coordinators late hurt, couple that with Nick’s Italy Vacation/Business dealings in the important late spring, early summer hurt with relationships with some of these kids. We still have a top 4 , probably end as a top 3 class. I like the potential of all these kids. Buy in, develop and they all could be early round draft picks.

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
So to summarize.

NoNC4Tubs - Believes rating services have iffy evaluations
B1GTide - looks like Saban went after needs first this year. And I wonder if the attrition every year with the portal and NIL might have him rethinking some things.
CajunCrimson - Believes most will turn to 4 stars by the end.
TheRealPokeChop - Believes the 24 class is down across the board
Bamaga - Believes coordinator changes and Saban taking time off to go to Italy effected this class

I will say that recruiting services don't do a great job evaluating lineman OL, DL or TE's. 4 of the three star players are in those positions.

There may be some truth to B1GTide thinking he's changed his strategy. We can sign a million 5 star guys but most will leave for the portal if not starting in 12 months which robs Saban of the ability to emerse them into the process. It's possible in addition to the game changer 5 stars he's looking for guys who are willing to stay the course and become the best. I'm not sure how that idea would work out but if anyone could pull it off it's Saban.

I hope CajunCrimson is correct

if TheRealPokeChop is correct it would explain things

I don't think Saban going to Italy hurt the program. If Miss Terry isn't happy the whole place goes to crap so whatever it takes.

I'd say the anomaly is more the three linebackers and two DB's rated three star. We rarely sign anything less than a 4 at those positions. We will see if Saban sees something in them or if he's looking for guys who are willing to build themselves up inside the program and earn the playing time as apposed to transferring around like a gypsy looking for vacant spot to play.

ADDITION: I also noticed of the 5 DB's 4 of them are 6 foot or more. the other is 5' 11". It's possible Saban is looking for something specific in these guys. Clearly tall guys might be slower to develop but have a higher top end.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think that the 247 consolidated rankings cover those anomalies pretty well. This is an unusual class for Alabama. And these guys didn't get a Bama bump once they committed.
The final rankings want come out until Feb '24 and I believe some will get a bump to 4* but not all. We only have six 3* players on On3 which is a higher than usual number.

Reactions: B1GTide

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Josh Jacobs always comes to mind. Saban clearly liked the guy and wanted to offer him but could not get over the fact that neither Oklahoma or OK State had looked at him. They thought there must be some character problems with the guy but could find nothing wrong with him. Long story short. Coach offered him, he was a great recruit for Alabama and is now in the NFL with the Last Vegas Raiders.

Reactions: rolltd and dtgreg

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.