Curious about the 2024 class

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
So to summarize.

NoNC4Tubs - Believes rating services have iffy evaluations
B1GTide - looks like Saban went after needs first this year. And I wonder if the attrition every year with the portal and NIL might have him rethinking some things.
CajunCrimson - Believes most will turn to 4 stars by the end.
TheRealPokeChop - Believes the 24 class is down across the board
Bamaga - Believes coordinator changes and Saban taking time off to go to Italy effected this class
Well that should cover it, one of them is bound to be right. Hahaha

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
Josh Jacobs always comes to mind. Saban clearly liked the guy and wanted to offer him but could not get over the fact that neither Oklahoma or OK State had looked at him. They thought there must be some character problems with the guy but could find nothing wrong with him. Long story short. Coach offered him, he was a great recruit for Alabama and is now in the NFL with the Last Vegas Raiders.
I remember him being committed to Oklahoma when we flipped him??? 🤔 I could be wrong.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I think the interior OL are undervalued by recruiting services. Guards aren't exciting until the ball is snapped. I also suspect Coach Saban is recruiting some particular physical attributes that he found in the 3 star LBs and DBs.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Josh Jacobs always comes to mind. Saban clearly liked the guy and wanted to offer him but could not get over the fact that neither Oklahoma or OK State had looked at him. They thought there must be some character problems with the guy but could find nothing wrong with him. Long story short. Coach offered him, he was a great recruit for Alabama and is now in the NFL with the Last Vegas Raiders.
He sent Coach Burns. He got an offer. The rest is history.

Reactions: dtgreg

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
We all know there are some 3 star guys who went on to be first round draft picks. That is not in dispute, but that happens every few years, it's not a constant you can rely on. Usually it's been circumstantial. Eddie Jackson was hurt his senior season and hadn't played much in high school but Saban being the expert in DB's saw on film what others missed. Jacobs had an exposure problem, He didn't go to a big successful program and was just missed, but once film got out every college in the country wanted him and we were there first.

I also just noticed that 6 of the 9 three star players are from the state of Alabama. One is an obvious experiment as he was a gymnast from Germany. One is from NC and the other Florida.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
ADDITION: I also noticed of the 5 DB's 4 of them are 6 foot or more. the other is 5' 11". It's possible Saban is looking for something specific in these guys. Clearly tall guys might be slower to develop but have a higher top end.
He IS looking for a specific body type and character...that's a part of HIS process. :cool:

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
What I've always wondered was how coach Saban knew about a little known recruit in OK. that was so much better than anybody else thought. The man leaves no stone unturned.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
He IS looking for a specific body type and character...that's a part of HIS process. :cool:
Yep since day 1. They have a specific height, weight, speed, quickness, bend ranges as well as character for each position and players Bama recruit have to fall within these ranges to be on the recruiting board.

Reactions: The Ols

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
Couldn't remember which school but I believe it was his only D1 offer. Tulsa makes more sense because an offer to OK would have generated more attention.

But CNS offered and he accepted and the rest is history!
After Bama offered teams came out of the woodwork, but he wouldn't listen to them. If I remember correctly his basic thought was CNS wanted me when no one else did so I will stick with him. I'm glad he did. Great player!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
After Bama offered teams came out of the woodwork, but he wouldn't listen to them. If I remember correctly his basic thought was CNS wanted me when no one else did so I will stick with him. I'm glad he did. Great player!
Chief among then was OU (after the Bama offer) IIRC, which I think was his initial dream school. But the CNS allurement was all it took!

Reactions: BhamToTexas

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
Chief among then was OU (after the Bama offer) IIRC, which I think was his initial dream school. But the CNS allurement was all it took!
That must be what I remember. And maybe the OU poster here was talking about how they wanted to snag him too.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
That must be what I remember. And maybe the OU poster here was talking about how they wanted to snag him too.
I'm remembering him getting a phone call from Saban or an assistant coach just prior to announcing at his high school press conference. Seems like he had to delay it a bit. He did not have a firm offer until the phone call. BJ Emmons committed early in that class and evidently they decided in the fall to pick up another one.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Yep since day 1. They have a specific height, weight, speed, quickness, bend ranges as well as character for each position and players Bama recruit have to fall within these ranges to be on the recruiting board.
He developed those standards , I believe , as DC in Cleveland. That year he turned an aging, slow footed Everson Walls into a pro bowl corner. I read somewhere that was his hardest coaching challenge. Probably thought to himself he will never do that again , If he has input, he will only take certain standards for a certain position. Also, probably his greatest coaching job. He invented the pattern match zone concept there. Yep, Nick invented that.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
As Chop mentioned , this is a down year . Not just down at the top , but also very thin when it comes to some of the positions - especially OL . That said , next is supposed to be VERY strong .

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.