CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Reactions: AlexanderFan

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
His brother, the fourth best pro style quarterback in his class did, and the eighth grade kid who’s starting now (doubt they could’ve guessed his potential though).

It doesn’t matter that they didn’t pan out, the Bama staff wanted them and that’s where they ended up. It wouldn’t surprise me if Alabama had been pointing out kids for a while, it’s a mutually beneficial relationship: college finds the kid, the high school gets them into the school zone, and the college has elite talent closer to home to recruit.

If anything, Kirby is slow in catching up.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but had the family moved to Alabaster while Tua was a Jr in high school, your comparison would be sound. Moving to the area simply to be near Tua makes more sense.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I hear what you are saying but that really isn't the same thing. Tua was recruited out of Hawaii to Alabama. Then his family moved to Alabama to be closer to him (plus other reasons maybe) and his brother went to Alabaster.
Yeah it’s a bit suspicious at where he wound up. Thompson before Freeman wasn’t a great high school program in Alabama. Freeman was probably on the shortlist of being known as the best high school coach in the state. It’s more that Lia wound up in Alabaster at a program that only those well connected saw being a pro factory over night. Thompson before Freeman was the door mat of 7A. They were a school too big to escape from Hoover but there wasn’t an area with much talent.

Had Lia gone to a place like Hillcrest then he probably has a decent Highschool career but he doesn’t play against near as much talent or with as much. I just don’t see the tagovalias making the move to Thompson specifically without being somewhat led to it.

FWIW here is Thompson’s history

Thompson

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
What’s sad is they are retroactively calling this a victory for their recruiting efforts in Buford. calling this a win to “open up the pipelines” in the city. And they are taking back that area. Georgia fans live in their own world.
If this guy is an insider he is not very good. Justin Fields went to Buford in 2017. I guess they don't count him since he finished at OSU.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
I can not think of any players that went to Buford that Kirby has recruited. Burford players do not commit to Georgia, and I would not be surprised if KJ bolden does not commit to Georgia either as FSU is picking up steam there. Georgia has had more success recruiting IMG and mater Dei than Buford by a long shot

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
I can not think of any players that went to Buford that Kirby has recruited. Burford players do not commit to Georgia, and I would not be surprised if KJ bolden does not commit to Georgia either as FSU is picking up steam there. Georgia has had more success recruiting IMG and mater Dei than Buford by a long shot
Buford has historically only had the occasional stud, and most go out of state. Kirby recruited that area for Bama. He brought in Dillon Lee and Kurt Freitag. Then Bama did not have any real involvement there until McLaughlin. They've had more great players recently.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.