New NFL kickoff rule approved

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I know it’s the NFL but I can see college ball going this way if it works out.

Teams will kickoff from the 35. The other ten members of the kicking team line up at the receiving team’s 40. The receiving team must put at least nine men between their 35 and 30. Either one or two returners between the 20 and the goal line. Nobody but the kicker and the returners can move until the ball is touched by a returner. No fair catches are allowed and touchbacks go to the 30. If a team wants to try an onside kick they have to tell the officials and they line up in a traditional manner. The article doesn’t say if there are adjustments due to a penalty assessed on the kickoff.

This will certainly increase kick returns but watching it will take getting used to. Something similar was done in the XFL. I saw a video of one of their kickoffs and it looked weird but I guess after a while it will be normal.

So would you want something like this in college ball? I am tired of seeing a kick caught at the one and then the player getting free territory by a fair catch.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
And money.

If the league really made player safety a priority they wouldn't add more regular season games, have teams travel to Tibet to play games, and consider expanding the playoffs.
To quickly hijack this thread, with international games, I always wondered why Minnesota never played a home game in Stockholm , Oslo, or Copenhagen. Just seems like a natural to me.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Instead of an onside kick, give the kicking team the option to take possession of the ball 4th and 10 on their own 35 yard line.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
they like to hide behind "player safety" what they really want is more points.
Yeah we know the NFL is all about player safety. They care so much they added an extra game last year and play games on Saturdays, Thursdays, Mondays, Thanksgiving and Christmas and fly players across the Atlantic. This is all done for player safety….

Reactions: DzynKingRTR

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Why?

Where are all the injuries on kickoffs in the first place? That's why all this screwing around with the rules started. I know they happened... I'm saying when were they ever so bad that this one particular play has to be changed so much?

This is stupid. More degradation of the game. Whatever.
There used to be a ton of injuries on kickoffs. Then the rule changes to prevent those injuries significantly reduced the amount of returns we got. Because of that the kickoff became a dead play that almost always ended in a touchback.

The point of this rule change is to increase the number of returns we have while still keeping injuries low. This should make the game better not worse IMO. But we will have to wait and see if it is a success.

This was my first thought as well. No more surprise onside kicks. Without this play, I'm not sure we win that game. Seems like a stupid rule change IMO.
Surprise onside kicks are really really rare. Seems silly to not change something because of a play that very rarely happens.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
To quickly hijack this thread, with international games, I always wondered why Minnesota never played a home game in Stockholm , Oslo, or Copenhagen. Just seems like a natural to me.
Perhaps their ships couldn't make the journey. Of course, that's just a guess. Seriously, though, it would be pretty cool to have a lot of people in the stands who are actual descendants of Vikings and have them dress as Vikings.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I know it’s the NFL but I can see college ball going this way if it works out.

Teams will kickoff from the 35. The other ten members of the kicking team line up at the receiving team’s 40. The receiving team must put at least nine men between their 35 and 30. Either one or two returners between the 20 and the goal line. Nobody but the kicker and the returners can move until the ball is touched by a returner. No fair catches are allowed and touchbacks go to the 30. If a team wants to try an onside kick they have to tell the officials and they line up in a traditional manner. The article doesn’t say if there are adjustments due to a penalty assessed on the kickoff.

This will certainly increase kick returns but watching it will take getting used to. Something similar was done in the XFL. I saw a video of one of their kickoffs and it looked weird but I guess after a while it will be normal.

So would you want something like this in college ball? I am tired of seeing a kick caught at the one and then the player getting free territory by a fair catch.

I just want it to go back to how it was. Fair catch it in the field of play and that’s where you get the ball.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I just want it to go back to how it was. Fair catch it in the field of play and that’s where you get the ball.
At least now we will see kicks returned. Guy catches it at the goal line and the nearest defenders are standing in place 40 yards away. How will it go?

This will probably be in college ball in the next five years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.