The MOVIE thread

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Oppenheimer is...
overwhelming, in style, in length, in volume (yes, a nuclear detonation shouold be thunderous, but that doesn't mean everything else should be).

Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey, Jr. are mortal locks for acting nominations--Emily Blunt might get one as well.

The editor probably has the Oscar locked up--The film juggles multiple time frames and you never get disoriented.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Oppenheimer is...
overwhelming, in style, in length, in volume (yes, a nuclear detonation shouold be thunderous, but that doesn't mean everything else should be).

Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey, Jr. are mortal locks for acting nominations--Emily Blunt might get one as well.

The editor probably has the Oscar locked up--The film juggles multiple time frames and you never get disoriented.
I found it to be spectacular, superseding even my lofty expectations.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I saw Pulp Fiction the day it premiered. I thought it was so good....I went back and watched it again the next night.....

I never saw Shawshank until it came on TV.

Never saw Forrest Gump until I watched a DVD of it while visiting my older brother in Voirginia. My niece's DVD.

Don't remember when I watched JP. Maybe in the theater.

And have yet to see TLK.....lol....

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Oppenheimer is...
Earlier this year I read the book (American Prometheus) that the movie is based on (having no idea there was an Oscar-worthy movie about to be released). I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

*link takes you to the Amazon page. Purchases made through our Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans. Thanks for supporting the site!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazza

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
Earlier this year I read the book (American Prometheus) that the movie is based on (having no idea there was an Oscar-worthy movie about to be released). I'm very much looking forward to seeing it.

*link takes you to the Amazon page. Purchases made through our Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans. Thanks for supporting the site!
It is sensational. Watched it on the 70mm imax in Dallas. The audio techniques, b&w vs color, loaded cast, etc.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
Watched The Pope's Exorcist last night on Netflix starring Russel Crowe. Don't usually watch that type of movie, but decided to give it a try. It was pretty well done if you like that sort of thing. Crowe is always good. Had a little history lesson on the Spanish Inquisition.

• Thank You

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
Thought this series might interest some. Would love to know the thoughts of others about this series.
Untold Swamp Kings

1692909540404.jpeg1692909540404.jpeg

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Oh yes.......

It is the summer of 1957. Behind the spectacle of Formula 1, ex-racer Enzo Ferrari is in crisis. Bankruptcy threatens the factory he and his wife, Laura built from nothing ten years earlier. Their volatile marriage has been battered by the loss of their son, Dino a year earlier. Ferrari struggles to acknowledge his son Piero with Lina Lardi. Meanwhile, his drivers' passion to win pushes them to the edge as they launch into the treacherous 1,000-mile race across Italy, the Mille Miglia. In Theaters Christmas Directed by Michael Mann Written by Troy Kennedy Martin Starring Adam Driver, Penélope Cruz, Shailene Woodley, Sarah Gordon, Gabriel Leone, Jack O'Connell, Patrick Dempsey

Reactions: OakMtn4Bama

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
Oh yes.......

It is the summer of 1957. Behind the spectacle of Formula 1, ex-racer Enzo Ferrari is in crisis. Bankruptcy threatens the factory he and his wife, Laura built from nothing ten years earlier. Their volatile marriage has been battered by the loss of their son, Dino a year earlier. Ferrari struggles to acknowledge his son Piero with Lina Lardi. Meanwhile, his drivers' passion to win pushes them to the edge as they launch into the treacherous 1,000-mile race across Italy, the Mille Miglia. In Theaters Christmas Directed by Michael Mann Written by Troy Kennedy Martin Starring Adam Driver, Penélope Cruz, Shailene Woodley, Sarah Gordon, Gabriel Leone, Jack O'Connell, Patrick Dempsey

Going to be a good movie to see in the theater. They don't make races like the Mille Miglia these days.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I’m re-watching Shoah. I have it on DVD from the Criterion Collection; don’t
know availability on streaming.

It was released in 1985, having taken 10 years to complete. So started production in 1975, just 30 years after WW2 ended, when there were still lots of survivors still around — former Nazis (unsurprisingly, nobody admits being SS), concentration camp survivors, townspeople who conveniently took over houses formerly owned by Jews who had been deported. All sorts of people who had eyewitness experience with the Holocaust.

It’s long — like, 9 hours. Can’t say it’s enjoyable, but it provides the best kind of witness — just letting people talk, without judgment, and they invariably hang themselves with their own words.

Latest threads