My preliminary analysis of Bama vs Michigan...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Hey all, Michigan fan here, as you probably figured out. I always like to join the forum of the team we are going to play in a bowl, just for fun. I can tell you a couple things about this game from our perspective. First, we are expecting a very close game, probably lower scoring. This might be our best team in my lifetime (59), and while you guys are a very good team, you aren't the hellbeast you were a few years ago. So, tight game. Second, the things we are most worried about are your mobile QB with a big arm and Saban having 4 weeks to prepare for us. Usually we have the coaching advantage, but not this time.
“Coaching advantage”

IMG_8163.gif
😝

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
A buddy of mine email this to me today I thought it was interesting. He saw it on one of the other Alabama sites.

"I noticed their defense is ranked #2 nationally but what caught my eye more than that is there is 4 big 10 teams ranked in the top 5 in total defense. I was shocked to see that so I did some digging and here's some stats I discovered.

Michigan opponents offensive rankings
ECU 130
UNLV 47
BGSU 105
Rutgers 123
Nebraska 118
Minnesota 125
Indiana 101
Michigan St 128
Purdue 69
Penn St 61
Maryland 59
Ohio St 37
Iowa 133

This is absolutely atrocious. This might be a record for overall worst set of offenses a defense has faced throughout a season.
For comparison sake, here's Alabama opponents offensive rankings.

MTSU 60
Texas 9
USF 16
Mississippi 15
Mississippi St 104
Texas A&M 53
Arkansas 108
Tennessee 17
LSU 1
Kentucky 100
UTC 67
Auburn 91
Georgia 8

Alabama has been battle tested and Michigan has not. I'm not saying Alabama is going to be the team to give them that test but these stats are interesting none the less."

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Our defensive line is going to give you problems. If it doesn't, we lose by 50. Strength of the team, we rotate 8 guys and most are just beasts. We have played a light box all year because of the strength of our line, and have gotten away with it. If you can force us to play honestly in the box, we are probably in trouble.
When you say light box, are you referring the numbers within the box?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
My comment was meant to be positive toward Lord Saban and the SEC. No way you guys would have let this nothingburger blow up into what it has been and tear down one of your strongest teams. Not trying to be smug, just firmly believe there is no there, there.
Really? I thought you wanted to talk football.
Enough w/the Lord Saban crap. Your coach is a quirky freak that’s gone if anyone in the NFL will have him…and I find it awfully interesting that he took a pay cut to keep his job right around the time
his scheme came together and he started winning?
All too coincidental…

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
I really wasn't trying to be combative, you guys can talk about sign stealing and scandal all you want. I just won't be doing that in the future. I'd rather talk about the game, the players, and the coaches. For instance, I had no idea until I looked it up earlier today that Alabama has played in the Rose Bowl 7 times, which is the most of any non Big Ten/Pac Ten school. I went once when Michigan lost to USC on the Charles White phantom touchdown in 1979, and there is no better venue for a college football game IMO.
The Rose Bowl is a huge part of our early history. Check out our fight song.(y):)

Here are the lyrics:

Yea, Alabama! Drown ’em Tide!
Every ‘Bama man’s behind you,
Hit your stride.
Go teach the Bulldogs to behave,
Send the Yellow Jackets to a watery grave.
And if a man starts to weaken,
That’s a shame!
For Bama’s pluck and grit have
Writ her name in Crimson flame.
Fight on, fight on, fight on men!
Remember the Rose Bowl, we’ll win then.
Go, roll to victory,
Hit your stride,
You’re Dixie’s football pride,
Crimson Tide, Roll Tide, Roll Tide!!

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Rick Neuheisel rips Michigan and points out the poor offenses that they faced this year. He said Washington, Bama, and Texas have a better chance of winning it all. LINKY

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Rick Neuheisel rips Michigan and points out the poor offenses that they faced this year. He said Washington, Bama, and Texas have a better chance of winning it all. LINKY
If you listen to the college football morning show on XM that Neuheisel is on he only vaguely tries to hide his thoughts on Jim Harbaugh. Rick makes it pretty obvious that he thinks Harbaugh is a complete ass….every so often Neuheisel will tell a story about his handshake with Harbaugh following a Stanford win over UCLA…I like listening to him on that show…

Reactions: B1GTide and Rush

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Stats can be interpreted alot of different ways. Kind of like political polls. I see Michigan as a very good B!G team , but not as good as Georgia. Team speed will determine this game to me. It's not smart coaching to go bully ball ( on offense) if that's their game. I see Jam's speed to get outside as one of the keys to being successful offensively. Along with Bonds and Burton getting deep on them.

Last edited:

Amaizing Blue

Dec 4, 2023
Go back and read what he said about Saban. Poking fun at the GOAT when your team is coached by Jim freaking Harbaugh isn’t a good idea. To get caught cheating red-handed and come onto this board and act all smug isn’t either.
I was in no way poking fun at Saban. He is absolutely the GOAT. I meant my comment in admiration to your team and conference-the SEC wouldn't have allowed their premier program/coach to get dragged through the mud like we did, they would have handled it internally and not damaged the brand. And thanks for the tip about the blue font...

Reactions: cbi1972

Amaizing Blue

Dec 4, 2023
When you say light box, are you referring the numbers within the box?
Yes, we've been able to drop another safety out and handle the run with 6 guys in the box. Basically, Michigan spends the entire season preparing to play Ohio State-so with their dynamic passing game, we have to have some more guys in coverage. Of course, that only works if you don't get gashed for 8 yards a carry running, and so far we haven't. You guys might do that, though. And it will leave running lanes for your QB, which is terrifying.

Reactions: deltatider

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
I hope center Seth McLaughlin cleans his dang play up. I'd hate to see him become a major liability with his reckless snaps. It's been going on since the first game of the season. I am surprised Nick has not tried someone else at center just to wake him up at least.
Dalcourt got several snaps during the UT Chattanooga game, but his lack of blocking is a liability (and he can't make the calls at the line)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Can't believe I'm going to quote Joey Galloway, but he's suddenly seeming like a voice of reason (especially compared to Booger on the reveal show Sunday, but I digress).

Anyway, JG made a great point. He said there's no way for UM to simulate/prepare for what JM is going to be like. They haven't seen anyone like him and they have no way to prepare for it.

Since JM's legs/arm/improvisions have been the difference in most games any in our last 6 games or so, this will likely continue.

So what do you do? Play him like Georgia with 2 spies? Even though he struggled early he adjusted and made them pay. Do you bring the house? He slips out of the pocket and it's a 20 or 30 yard game or even a house call. Play 2 deep safeties? Finally, he's settling for dump off routes under the defense in the flats that turn into easy gains or 1st downs. Load the box? He'll grin and hit you with a deep ball! Stop the running back? CTR will call a QB run with pulling guards and it's another HUGE gain.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I was in no way poking fun at Saban. He is absolutely the GOAT. I meant my comment in admiration to your team and conference-the SEC wouldn't have allowed their premier program/coach to get dragged through the mud like we did, they would have handled it internally and not damaged the brand. And thanks for the tip about the blue font...
the “Lord” Saban stuff is what’s going to stir the pot. Let’s talk football. Or even the off the field stuff. But try to avoid the edgy stuff.

Our history is that we accept visiting fans and things go well if they understand where they are, and have a thick skin.

as you can see, that means we only have about 4-5 visiting fans who endure. :)

If you are here for the month, great. You will be more than welcome to stay after, either way.

Just be careful with the perceived slights, and any future overt insults, and we should be good. What usually happens is that at some point emotion kicks in, and your team loyalty kicks in. We ask at that point, to just check out for a while, and come back later.

same advice we give to our own resident passion-filled/emotional fans

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
From a Michigan site, "Every time I watch Alabama, I just can't help but marvel that their dudes seem to be way more roided up than opponent. I remember thinking this first in 2012, when they crushed us Jerryworld. Their TE, no idea who it was, looked like a man among boys physically." ........roided up:ROFLMAO:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Dude, then you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE SAYING on this board if you think the SEC has “had Alabama’s back”. They literally tried to destroy our program and it took the GOAT to revive it. Bama relies on Bama 1st and always.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
This particular Alabama team is viewed as weaker than past models. This may be true. Even Saban questioned this fall if they had to talent to win it all. Statistically you normally look for big splashy stats but they just aren't there. They have gotten to this point with team effort more so than individual talent. One group has a bad day, another group does something extraordinary to win. Then there is Milroe, the X factor. On paper he's not a top QB, Then you see him rip off a 25 yard run when he looked contained, you see him complete a 4th down 31 yard TD pass. He's not going to blow up the whole game, he's going to mess up, he's going to get sacked. But then he's going to do some stuff that leaves both fan bases just shaking their heads in disbelief. All I know is I would hate to face a QB like that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
From a Michigan site, "Every time I watch Alabama, I just can't help but marvel that their dudes seem to be way more roided up than opponent. I remember thinking this first in 2012, when they crushed us Jerryworld. Their TE, no idea who it was, looked like a man among boys physically." ........roided up:ROFLMAO:
Ironic huh?

• Haha
Reactions: Bubbaloo

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads