Georgia’s perspective on SECCG

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
This is dead on accurate. If we made the plays on defense we could of easily beat them by three TD. They got lucky to even stay within two scores. kirby can say what he wants they gifted nothing and we earned every point. Cry some more kirby it is just the beginning of the end especially when your SOS starts to load up with texas and okla coming next year.
Their SOS made them look like world beaters and our team seemed to be in a war every week. When those two met on the field they were not ready for a battle tested and getting stronger every week Bama.
Gifted? Nah..................Bama flat took it away from them, and should have beaten them by double digits. The salty tears on Atlanta sports radio on Monday went well with a side of whine and cheese

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
We really won that game by 10. UGA’s last TD turned out to be cosmetic. They got as close as they will ever get to a 3 peat, Ill give them this. They got a tad…just a tad closer than we did in 2013, as their attempt at the 3rd title in a row was halted in the SECCG while ours ended….ya know…that last game in the regular season that year. 🤮 But….at least they didn’t get it. Thank goodness. As if that fan base was not insufferable enough already. Imagine if they had pulled the elusive 3 peat 🤮
The sad thing is, if not for fickle voters in 1966, UGA might have been only the second team to threepeat

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
I disagree. I watched the game again last night and the offense was too predictable every possession with a 10 point lead. When you were trailing or they got within a score, you opened it up and went through them like they weren't there. That is not smart play calling. That is playing not to lose. I didn't care for it.
I said the EXACT same thing…every time we were up 10..we went 3 and out. When they would cut it to 3, we would go aggressive. It really was a terrible gameplan offensively.

Luckily, we have Kevin Steele on the other side, and not Golding.

Last edited:

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
There was nothing controversial about that catch. The only reason people are saying that is because that idiot Gary Dumbelson wouldn't shut up and basically manufacture the controversy. The ball is allowed to move some when it hits the ground as long as the player is in control. Bond had both hands wrapped around the ball at that point. Booth looks at every play and did not feel the need to stop play.

So, screw Gary, screw Kirby, screw the UGA nation and screw all the new FSU fans around the country. Eat it and Roll Tide Roll!!!

Well stated

Reactions: Carollovestide

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
While I agree, I also disagree. We beat UGA if we had just one of those guys on the field, a blowout if both were healthy enough to play. It was satisfying, almost in a karma way to see McConkley or whatever his name is hobbling around, now they really know what it's like.
Dont forget the top 3 db's were out also...

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
I disagree. I watched the game again last night and the offense was too predictable every possession with a 10 point lead. When you were trailing or they got within a score, you opened it up and went through them like they weren't there. That is not smart play calling. That is playing not to lose. I didn't care for it.
I agree , but I think 🤔 but I want to say I know they are protecting the QB with the conservative play calling and game plan. Too me that makes sense, but it put the pressure on the D.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
It probably was all about UGA because they didn't win. I'm okay with that. It was the same for us in 2021 when Metchie and Williams went down and BRob wasn't 100%. Healthy Bowers and McConkey would probably have made a difference.

But, imo, they sealed their fate in the outcome playing 2 spies on Milroe. The 2 spies weren't in position to cover RBs out of the backfield nor were they filling running lanes. We were playing 11 against 9 at times during the game.

landonew

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2023
I can appreciate that conventional wisdom is to be aggressive. I don’t agree or disagree with their strategy, it’s above my pay grade. But I’m relatively certain they were running the ball to limit Georgia’s second half possessions.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I can appreciate that conventional wisdom is to be aggressive. I don’t agree or disagree with their strategy, it’s above my pay grade. But I’m relatively certain they were running the ball to limit Georgia’s second half possessions.
I think Georgia's D is slightly stronger against the pass than the run, so if the run can be successful, then so much the better. Agree on the game shortening, too, though. Playing from ahead is a terrific advantage.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
That game should have been put away multiple times in the third and early fourth quarter; similar to the auburn game. Instead we let them both hang around and give their offenses opportunity after opportunity until they’ve turned it back into a close game in the fourth quarter. I hope our offense doesn’t let up in the playoffs like that.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
our first series out of the half really ticked me off. you knew there was no way they were going to let us run up the middle like we had done in the first half.

but i did hear saban say, those last two runs by milroe were formations/plays we hadn’t run all season and based on the ga tech game they thought they would work.

they did.
We got behind the sticks more often in the third and for whatever reason on most third and 8-12 yards we’re throwing 20-30 yard passes that weren’t hitting. Even on the 4th and 4 to bond I hated seeing the deep throw; it obviously worked but it was close. I hope we can continue to work on the intermediate routes and check downs to fully open up this offense.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Saban has 4 NCs with a conservative ball-control offense.

2 NCs with a basketball on grass offense

it doesn’t matter if Milroe can make all of the reads. We just need him to make the first two and then run like Hell. I’ve not seen a team this year that can defend this December version for 60 minutes.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
We got behind the sticks more often in the third and for whatever reason on most third and 8-12 yards we’re throwing 20-30 yard passes that weren’t hitting. Even on the 4th and 4 to bond that worked I hated seeing the deep throw. I hope we can continue to work on the intermediate routes and check downs to fully open up this offense.
It’s just part of the package of having Milroe as the starter unfortunately. Dude just insists on throwing long passes no matter what.

Reactions: smith5753

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It’s just part of the package of having Milroe as the starter unfortunately. Dude just insists on throwing long passes no matter what.
It does help you. It forces teams to keep 2 safeties back at all times. That opens up the field for everything else.

Imagine you are a DC. Your opponent has the ability to score with his legs on any play. But he is also the most accurate passer for deep passes in the game. How do you cover both of those things on every play? Answer - you can't without creating huge problems everywhere else on the field.

@gtgilbert did a good job describing how a DC might approach the solution but it is really hard to implement. At the end of the day, when you face a guy like Milroe you kinda have to hope that he makes mistakes. Because if he doesn't you can't win.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just now chiming in...

On the Bond reception - if the shoe is on the other foot, we'd gripe too. But since it wasn't reviewed (and CBS didn't even "catch" (pun intended) it to a few plays later why does it even matter??? Nothing to do about it by then anyway. And 1000's of games where played with plays like that that occurred before replay and many of them still happen before replay can signal a stoppage even today. It's just part of the game...even if replay exists!

On our play calling - I see some genius in it from a conservative point of view, but I'd prefer CNS to be more aggressive and the two times that stick out to me were on our first possession of the second half when we went 3 and out. That possession could have practically ended the game with a TD drive. Second time was the opportunity after their fumble. NO way we should be settling for 3 there, but we did.

I think when CNS believes he holds the defensive advantage (as I think we did Sat.) he will always play more conservatively and "let the other team beat themselves" (which is what Kirby has alleged) but it's just one of the oldest tricks in football. Basically: Bama defense > Georgia offense. CNS just let it unfold that way.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just now chiming in...

On the Bond reception - if the shoe is on the other foot, we'd gripe too. But since it wasn't reviewed (and CBS didn't even "catch" (pun intended) it to a few plays later why does it even matter??? Nothing to do about it by then anyway. And 1000's of games where played with plays like that that occurred before replay and many of them still happen before replay can signal a stoppage even today. It's just part of the game...even if replay exists!

On our play calling - I see some genius in it from a conservative point of view, but I'd prefer CNS to be more aggressive and the two times that stick out to me were on our first possession of the second half when we went 3 and out. That possession could have practically ended the game with a TD drive. Second time was the opportunity after their fumble. NO way we should be settling for 3 there, but we did.

I think when CNS believes he holds the defensive advantage (as I think we did Sat.) he will always play more conservatively and "let the other team beat themselves" (which is what Kirby has alleged) but it's just one of the oldest tricks in football. Basically: Bama defense > Georgia offense. CNS just let it unfold that way.
Yep - both Saban and Kirby coach that way. I expect to see more of it against Michigan.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads