Transfer Portal 2023-2024...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
"Hate" here on Tidefans? Strong criticism that was justified based on some very poor play maybe, but "hate?'

I don't think that's the right word.

On bolded: I NEVER saw his race being discussed and why should it be??? Not saying it didn't happen randomly but I never saw that here on Tidefans or Twitter, which are the two places I get my Bama info/discussion points.

What does his race have to do with his football play? Just because he was criticized for bad play isn't racial. Seth's inability to snap the ball at times isn't because he's a white guy.

Nobody should be "hated" as a person, but these guys are now professional athletes playing on the biggest stage at this level so when they don't play well, people notice and will call it out.

Again, not saying some bad/hateful things weren't said about JM, but legit criticism of performance isn't hate or racism.
It may not have been "hate" but some of the criticism was unjustified and some of it was very one-sided where what he did well would be completely ignored or even criticized. Even now some fans are still referring to Jalen's first half of the season as bad but has made "unbelievable improvement", where in reality he had a top 10-20 passer rating from the beginning of the season. He often was called a "turnover machine": He never had more than 1 int in a game except the UTx game with 2 for a total of 6 ints and 1 fumble for the year - 13 games. I.e., he was never a TO machine. He had 4 ints the first half of the reg season, 6 games.

He finished 3rd in the country in passer rating behind only Bo Nix and Jayden Daniels. He was in contention from the beginning of the year.

Even in the UTx game where he had the 2 bad ints, he twice led Alabama on TD drives in the 2nd half, one to put Alabama ahead, one when it looked like UTx was getting out of reach. Almost all of it was on his arm. Yes, the ints were bad and critical, but his responses, he and the team were obviously gamers, were a portent of things to come, yet totally ignored by his critics.

One reason he was so emotional after the SECC game was that some of his critics had said, in Jalen's words, he was not "smart enough" to play QB. Given the history of the black QB that is tough to take. I don't read everything on TF, but I don't ever remember anyone using that phrase here. Fans often claim that a QB can't read the field or something like that but that, IMO, doesn't necessarily mean the QB is not smart but that he simply does not have that special skill or the experience to read a football field. IMO, that is not a function of IQ. I think most Bama fans consider Jalen a bright and articulate young man. Of course, there are still exceptions here in Al and all across the country. Evidently there were comments made elsewhere that stated or implied this.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
It may not have been "hate" but some of the criticism was unjustified and some of it was very one-sided where what he did well would be completely ignored or even criticized.
Cambridge Dictionary: hater
hater
noun [ C ] informal
US /ˈheɪ.t̬ɚ/ UK /ˈheɪ.tər/

a person who says or writes unpleasant things about someone or criticizes their achievements, especially on the internet:

Forget the haters - they're just jealous.

Hate is used to mean negativity these days. It isn't necessarily literal hatred.

TDsby431

Scout Team
Dec 1, 2023
Little bit surprised about Brooks hitting the portal. But the emergence of Bonds definitely mitigates that and he is definitely better overall. Though having both on field healthy would have been nice for 2024.

No ill intentions towards Brooks and his decision. His contribution in the 2021 Iron Bowl will certainly be remembered. All the best to him wherever he may end up. Sans a day come should he have to face his former team, then I hope we shut him down ;). Go get yours, Ja'Corey.

Reactions: BamaNation
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads